Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

McLaurin breaking loose once and being obviously open and missed a second time will earn him some respect in future games. Seeing what he does against that is the next step. Hopefully it opens things up for others.

I also loved to see Harmon given a chance by Keenum on an important contested catch opportunity at one point. He'll earn a lot of trust playing like that.

• Like 3

On 9/7/2019 at 6:46 PM, RandyHolt said:

Watch Davis get snatched by Indy.  Another kick in the nuts after learning Reed will officially miss time.

Dude that was such a miscalculated risk. Did we really expect him not to be picked up? Hes at least a pretty good special teams player it looked like. We dropped him for Wendell ****ing Smallwood, I mean how stupid are they. 

Terry Mclaurin did in one game what Docston couldn't do in 3 years.  That is why the Skins released Doctson for all the people wondering why he was released.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Who knows. Theres not a single legit starter so maybe someone shows up this year, but as of now our best wr is a no 3 that took 6 years for a decent series of a stat.

The WRs looked good today. It was the run game and offensive line that didn't look good.

Edited by desertbeagle85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember when TMac was drafted, I think most people were gushing about him being a Special Teams stud.

But forget ST, you're our new #1 receiver, from day one.

And it just occurred to me, the contrast between Vernon Davis and Jordan Reed, could not be further apart, when it comes to durability.

It's too bad Davis' ageless durability hasn't rubbed off on Reed.

Although Reed certainly deserves benefit of the doubt this time, as the concussion was due to an illegal hit, which would have concussed anyone.

I'll eat crow because i was vocal about how unimpressed i was going into the season with the current WR's we have but boy was I wrong. Richardson-McClaurin-Harmon and Quinn looked fast , crisp & energetic out there. Such a difference from years past. McLaurin did what he did but there was that one  pass to Quinn where he caught it and then did a quick spin move to pick up another 5 or 6 yards for the first. I havent seen that from a Redskins receiver in quite a long time.  Richardson and Harmon looked very athletic as well, Big noticeable change from years past. Do we have a different WR's coach this year ? Very impressive

Anyone care to take my NEs top 3 WRs stats vs our top 7s bet?   We have to be looking good after week 1. 

Maybe Vet WRs have been beating out rookies in camps for decades by out working them. Reporting in shape, etc. Keep clean, focusing on exactly what the coach says, while the upside rookie is checking his phone.  And kinda hungover.

But then the season starts and the smart savvy vets go into survival mode, and lack the hunger a young buck has.

It's been painful to watch rookie and young WRs have to beat out a vet in camp with full knowledge of the playbook. They don't have a chance. A coach has to have faith in the guy they trusted to draft to get hungry players onto the field.  Vets WRs can be brought off the street if the kid flops.  Call it James Thrash Syndrome. A rookie would always be hard pressed to beat him out but Thrash's upside was capped.  Thrash was the draft pick wastin' safe choice.

Edited by RandyHolt

Wow, that was a heckuva block by Quinn... on an ILB, right?  Man...

That catch Quinn had where he almost made the defender fall down (prior to the catch) made me wonder if Gruden is one to really target matchups.  I have a feeling that with the right routes/play calls, Quinn would have been a big problem for that db (I have the sense that he’s a bit like Reed in that regard - that basketball-like ability to make quick fakes/moves to get open).  There’s a benefit of course to spreading the ball around, but forcing a defense to adjust to a problem matchup like that can really open up other options.  Teams aren’t going to adjust though if it’s only 2 or 3 targets over the course of a game... unless it’s a receiver getting deep of course.  

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

My bet is looking better and better every day

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/10/antonio-brown-accused-raping-former-trainer-lawsuit-raiders

10 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Wow, that was a heckuva block by Quinn... on an ILB, right?  Man...

That catch Quinn had .....

Little note to add. Trey Quinn had the most snaps of all our WRs including McLaurin. Snap count = fantasy fantasy stuff.

Of course Crowder had 14 catches or some ****. WTF. Quinn needs to make us look good for letting him go.  Higher target waterbug PPR WRs FTW.

Edited by RandyHolt

1 hour ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Where  are all those people that were upset about the Skins releasing Doctson? 

ProFootballTalk : Report: Vikings placing Josh Doctson on IR
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/12/report-vikings-placing-josh-doctson-on-ir/

Not even sure what happened to Doctson, he was not active Week 1.

But I will say the team cut Robert Davis, Cam Sims, and Josh Doctson. Doctson got picked up, Sims and Davis did not. So, as a whole, the league values Doctson more than those two

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Not even sure what happened to Doctson, he was not active Week 1.

But I will say the team cut Robert Davis, Cam Sims, and Josh Doctson. Doctson got picked up, Sims and Davis did not. So, as a whole, the league values Doctson more than those two

Okay what does that have to do with Doctson taking up a roster spot on this team. In other words the Skins got it wrong by drafting him, but got it right by releasing him. 

Kudos where Kudos are due.

The kids look great, and even PRich got involved. 

Would love to see some 4 wide packages with Prich and TMc on the outsides and Quinn & Harmon slots.

VD is an ageless wonder and our #3 TE even caught his lone target.

WR & TE Corp look exciting.

• Like 2

Having a QB that isn't so process oriented may allow for our QBs to not lose it when a rookie WR is not a Henry Ellard grade route runner just yet. Look the other way all day after a lack of precision early in a game, or practice.

While I think Jay will put his tail between his legs and feature AP, I do want the new clear and obvious position of strength to be featured heavily.  Yes I think Jay will wave the white flag on having another monster passing day from Case and give Bruce what he wants. AP - which points to a slow played traditional run first game. 

Jay seems so belligerent of late he may do it to make a point.  Hopefully AP breaks a few and opens up the death blow PAP deep balls that you know Jay is always looking to do.

Edited by RandyHolt

I think the one thing I'm looking forward to the most tomorrow is watching this WR crew. Yes, I'll call myself out, I had zero confidence in these guys during the preseason but they were AWESOME last Sunday. Not only the obvious in McLaurin but Richardson and Quinn looked Athletic and quick out there. There is reason to be excited when you have 3 young guys like this showing what they showed last Sunday. Hope they keep it up vs Dallas

• Like 3

I dont know the rule but if you can step out of bounds and catch a deflected ball, PRich was close to scoring on a TD.  Would that have counted, if the DB touched the ball right before Richardson caught it?   That all said Richardson looked like a rookie running out of bounds like that.

I suspect Davis will be inactive and we will roll the same guys on O, just AP in for Guice.

I want Jay to go pass happy. Rush vs Pass on first down league wide week 1 pointed to the pass being more effective, yet again.

Edited by RandyHolt

• 7 months later...

Ah yes, this joke of a thread. It was funny when first made and even more embarrassing going through it now. Why anyone would have had hope for the group when two of your receivers are Doctson and Richardson is beyond comprehension. Then again, we had a GM who thought it was fine building the WR corps that way so its not surprising to see fans think similarly.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dyst said:

Ah yes, this joke of a thread. It was funny when first made and even more embarrassing going through it now. Why anyone would have had hope for the group when two of your receivers are Doctson and Richardson is beyond comprehension. Then again, we had a GM who thought it was fine building the WR corps that way so its not surprising to see fans think similarly.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but i had a lot of hope for Richardson, cause he seemed to play really well in the Seahawks games that I’d watch over the years...i thought...if he can do good things there, why not with us?

guess the answer to “why not with us” is cause we’re the redskins, and we can never have good things 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

cleaning house at wide receiver was one of the best decisions this franchise has made in a long time.

doctson sucked and Richardson didn’t want to be here.

hopefully the wr core will continue to improve and we see better qb play as well.

• Like 2