Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get Behind Alex Smith! Or Not!! (M.E.T.) NO kirk talk---that goes in ATN forum

Veryoldschool

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

This thread is drifting off course let's get back to the Alex Smith lovefest I intended, he's our guy now

You were talking the other day about not knowing Alex that much.  I think one of the fun things for me about him is his running ability the dude has some wheels.  Hopefully he can keep that cooking as he gets older -- but its a fun part of his game now.

Alex will(with a defensive line that will have everyone saying well I was expecting something from the d line but not this)have us sitting at 3-1/4-0 just before Carolina.

Seeing the above video proves how athletic Smith is..plays with heart and passion...like cousins does... cousins is a tough s.o.b I tell ya..

*CAN WE (PLEASE) CEASE & DESIST BRINGING-UP THE VIKINGS QB #8' --

NOT ONLY IN REDSKINS QB ALEX SMITH'S THREAD...

BUT, PERIOD?!? DAMN.

TALK ABOUT 'RAVENS QB #10', ALL YOU LIKE...

BUT, UNLIKE VIKINGS QB #8,

RAVENS QB #10 DID THIS:

I actually think at least some of the Kirk comparisons and discussion is valid when talking about Alex Smith's expectations and strengths/weaknesses...since they're contiguous and one is replacing the other. On the other hand, RG3 really doesn't have anything to do with the discussion since he didn't come before Alex Smith and he hasn't been here for years.

*"BECAUSE HE WAS 'A REDSKIN', I WAS 'ALL-IN' ON #8.

ONCE 'ANY PLAYER/COACH/EXECUTIVE/WATERBOY/ET AL.' IS 'NO LONGER A REDSKIN'...

I NO LONGER 'ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR EXISTENCE'.

'HTTR-TIL THE WHEELS FALK-OFF'!!!

'DRCongo/DC/DMV-4-LIFE'!!!

I still maintain that if the Redskins had any semblance of a passing attack for the past 25 years with a couple of above average QBs Cousins would not be seen in the same light. Instead we have the weurfel/Matthews/Ramsey crew, Jason Candle, washed up McNabb, Beck/Grossman, the Rg3 tease, etc to look back on. So comparatively, Cousins looked like a rockstar. And perhaps it’s fair to say that the above inspire zero confidence for trusting they get it right this time. I get that and it’s crossed my mind. I don’t know though, Alex just feels different. He feels like he’s getting better and better as opposed to a McNabb who was stating to tail off.

But yeah, Cousins is a good QB. I think it’s absolutely ludicrous the money he got and the whole contract fiasco would be viewed much differently if we were accustomed to solid QBs coming through the building. I think there’s a sense this is Brad Johnson 2.0 and we will be in QB purgatory forever that colors peoples views when it comes to talking about how we handled Cousins. When piecing together what Dalton did with Jay as opposed to without Jay, the fact we had around 4300 yards passing when we started 3 different guys Jays first year, all of the articles that are effusive in their praise for his system and scheming guys open, make me think that we didn’t just lose an elite guy trending up. I think we lost a pretty good QB who will stay a pretty good QB. And make no mistake, Smith’s contract straps us. All QB contracts these days do. But Cousins would have really strapped us. And I do think Jay was a guiding force behind the Cousins contract situation. Part of the reason I’m a bit more lenient on Bruce for all of that, because I think he was negotiating based off of what Gruden said about Cousins. That part is speculation on my part though. 

35 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I still maintain that if the Redskins had any semblance of a passing attack for the past 25 years with a couple of above average QBs Cousins would not be seen in the same light. Instead we have the weurfel/Matthews/Ramsey crew, Jason Candle, washed up McNabb, Beck/Grossman, the Rg3 tease, etc to look back on. So comparatively, Cousins looked like a rockstar. And perhaps it’s fair to say that the above inspire zero confidence for trusting they get it right this time. I get that and it’s crossed my mind. I don’t know though, Alex just feels different. He feels like he’s getting better and better as opposed to a McNabb who was stating to tail off.

But yeah, Cousins is a good QB. I think it’s absolutely ludicrous the money he got and the whole contract fiasco would be viewed much differently if we were accustomed to solid QBs coming through the building. I think there’s a sense this is Brad Johnson 2.0 and we will be in QB purgatory forever that colors peoples views when it comes to talking about how we handled Cousins. When piecing together what Dalton did with Jay as opposed to without Jay, the fact we had around 4300 yards passing when we started 3 different guys Jays first year, all of the articles that are effusive in their praise for his system and scheming guys open, make me think that we didn’t just lose an elite guy trending up. I think we lost a pretty good QB who will stay a pretty good QB. And make no mistake, Smith’s contract straps us. All QB contracts these days do. But Cousins would have really strapped us. And I do think Jay was a guiding force behind the Cousins contract situation. Part of the reason I’m a bit more lenient on Bruce for all of that, because I think he was negotiating based off of what Gruden said about Cousins. That part is speculation on my part though. 

#8 was a better version of the 2009 #15.

Alex Smith helping out in the run game.

Baller.wmv

Hopefully he doesn't have to do that here. But it says a lot about who Alex is as a player.

Losing Kirk Cousins and adding Alex Smith is probably the best thing that has happened to this franchise in a while.  Kirk Cousins was our Tony Romo.  He often made critically bad decisions in pressure situations.  He was not the kind of quarterback that could carry his team to a Super Bowl, but he wanted that kind of money.  The Vikings will regret signing him because they are not going to have enough room under the cap to build a team around him that can overcome his mistakes.  I really don't understand why so many Skins fans were so desperate to keep him.

15 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

Losing Kirk Cousins and adding Alex Smith is probably the best thing that has happened to this franchise in a while.  Kirk Cousins was our Tony Romo.  He often made critically bad decisions in pressure situations.  He was not the kind of quarterback that could carry his team to a Super Bowl, but he wanted that kind of money.  The Vikings will regret signing him because they are not going to have enough room under the cap to build a team around him that can overcome his mistakes.  I really don't understand why so many Skins fans were so desperate to keep him.

I don't think the Vikings are looking to build around Kirk, at least not right now. I think they're in "win now" mode and are hoping that Kirk is x amount better than Keenum and can give them that little extra push. They signed him to a 3 year deal so I wouldn't be surprised if they realized that they have a big time stacked team at the moment and they are unlikely to be able to keep the whole thing together for much more than a couple years without letting key guys walk or having to choose between some players. If they don't win a SB in the next 2-3 years that basically means the Kirk Cousins experiment failed and they'll probably draft a QB and start rebuilding.

6 hours ago, OlufemiBiz said:

*"BECAUSE HE WAS 'A REDSKIN', I WAS 'ALL-IN' ON #8.

ONCE 'ANY PLAYER/COACH/EXECUTIVE/WATERBOY/ET AL.' IS 'NO LONGER A REDSKIN'...

I NO LONGER 'ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR EXISTENCE'.

'HTTR-TIL THE WHEELS FALK-OFF'!!!

'DRCongo/DC/DMV-4-LIFE'!!!

I with you 100%. We just fans at the end of the day. As a fan i hate everything that's negative towards our beloved Washington Redskins. 

47 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't think the Vikings are looking to build around Kirk, at least not right now. I think they're in "win now" mode and are hoping that Kirk is x amount better than Keenum and can give them that little extra push. They signed him to a 3 year deal so I wouldn't be surprised if they realized that they have a big time stacked team at the moment and they are unlikely to be able to keep the whole thing together for much more than a couple years without letting key guys walk or having to choose between some players. If they don't win a SB in the next 2-3 years that basically means the Kirk Cousins experiment failed and they'll probably draft a QB and start rebuilding.

I don't see him being the guy that gets it done.  He choked far too many times for the Skins.

7 hours ago, OlufemiBiz said:

*CAN WE (PLEASE) CEASE & DESIST BRINGING-UP THE VIKINGS QB #8' --

NOT ONLY IN REDSKINS QB ALEX SMITH'S THREAD...

BUT, PERIOD?!? DAMN.

TALK ABOUT 'RAVENS QB #10', ALL YOU LIKE...

BUT, UNLIKE VIKINGS QB #8,

RAVENS QB #10 DID THIS:

This is... I mean, come on now. :/ 

I’ll use this post as a reminder of a mod directive I issued here previously: 

MOD DIRECTIVE:

Someone will be taking some time off for doing the old "don't talk about Kirk, but in the same post I'm going to push my narrative about the whole thing and that's okay, but everyone else stop talking about him!" ridiculousness that's happened on numerous occasions now. 

That person has been repeatedly warned about other things so it's not only that trolling obnoxiousness that generated the penalty, but I want everyone to understand that any QB thread, yes even one about Alex, is going to include conversation about the entirety of the QB position, the resources spent on it, and how it's generally been handled. Which, therefore, inevitably brings Kirk into the discussion. That is inescapable and shouldn't be a problem.  

This is not an invitation to discuss this here. You can PM me if you have any questions or concerns about the matter. Thanks. 

Also, it never fails to occur here (or even on various social media outlets), but when Kirk-trashing takes place there’s not a single peep from anyone. Nada, including from those who’ve felt the need to state something like “move on, stop talking about him” in the past (we know who you are), but then as soon as any counter to it is put forth, as soon as a rebuttal towards that narrative is presented... out they come from the shadows ready to let everyone know that they need to stop discussing anything pertaining to him, and to move on already!  :rolleyes: 

And as mentioned above in the mod directive, often the same poster hypocritically pushes his/her narrative about the Kirk situation while telling everyone to henceforth stop without the slightest bit of self-awareness. :ols: 

Stop it.

It’s lame, petty, embarrassing, none of which is necessarily against any rules here, but on top of that it’s antithetical to what this discussion board is about. We see that the only thing you really want to stop is any narrative outside of the Kirk-the-villain, Dan/Bruce alleviating, one you’ve accepted as the ultimate truth. So make that attempt via fruitful discussion, nothing else. 

Things pertaining to the Skins will be discussed, positive and negative, and there are moderators here who are more than capable of figuring out what stifles and ruins fruitful discussion and what doesn’t (which can change given the context at any moment). Kirk and how he compares to Alex, how the FO handled the entire situation while he was here culminating in the trade for Alex, etc... is absolutely relevant and will be a topic for discussion. If it ever gets to the point to where it did with RG3, and an “OCD” contingent erupts and threatens the health of the board, we’ll take the necessary steps. 

As for now, it’s a legitimate topic and no one should be attempting to shut down the discussion on either side.

Next time it happens the guilty party will be given some time off. Thanks to the vast majority of you who have no problem with this concept and respect the rules. :) 

9 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I think both teams are on the spot for different reasons.  The Vikings have IMO been killer at drafting and playing FA.  Zimmer inherited a defense that wasn't good and now they got a monster.   And the supporting cast at offense is very good too with Cook and the two young receivers.  That's part of the reason why they can seamlessly fit Kirk in their salary structure without breaking a sweat.  But they have so much good young talent that eventually these guys need to be paid -- I think their window of keeping their team intact is ironically similar to the Redskins just for different reasons.  for the Vikings the clock isn't ticking on their QB but it is for the salary cap to pay their younger players.

For the Redskins IMO the clock is ticking on the QB because of his age and by extension the whole roster is thereby on the spot.  I was just watching via a youtube a clip from a national sports guy who is a Chiefs fan talk about how relieved he is that the Chiefs finally got rid of Alex Smith.  That dude isn't the only sportscaster/Chiefs fan who shared that sentiment.  The Smith critics are almost word for word identical in their rap as the Cousins critics are -- the dude has an obvious ceiling, he's good but not great, he's not clutch, you need a stellar supporting cast around him to succeed and you aren't going to ever win the big dance with him.

The stories of Alex and Kirk should be a fascinating watch.  Two teams on the spot for entirely different reasons.  Seems like both fan bases are infatuated with their new toy and ignore the critics.  Some national guys say one is better, some say the other QB is better.  

For me personally, I think the QB's value is overstated in the conversation.  I am not like guys like Chris Russell who doesn't think the QB is that important and that a supporting cast is everything.   But I do think the supporting cast is critical and its not a slam on any QB that they need playmakers to win.  My take on Alex is if Guice has a big year and Jordan Reed is healthy -- odds are Alex has a great year.  If Reed is out again and one of the WRs doesn't emerge and Guice is just ok -- than Alex won't have that great of a year. 

For me I want a good QB coupled with a really good supporting cast.  I think the Vikings slam dunk have that.  the Redskins have the Qb component of it and I think they likely have the supporting cast.  Reed to me is key though.  I like Doctson's potential but he obviously still has to emerge.  

I think the pressure to perform will be a big factor this season. Alex will play loose and Kirk will play tight (1 for 6 in red zone drills this week w/2 INT's)

I can't imagine what would happen in Vikings land if they go 0-2 to start with 49'rs and Packers with the 49'rs being an "unscouted" oppontent. Garoppolo  and Shanny combo would scare the hech outa me.

That will be interesting to watch

11 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

This is... I mean, come on now. :/ 

I’ll use this post as a reminder of a mod directive I issued here previously: 

Also, it never fails to occur here (or even on various social media outlets), but when Kirk-trashing takes place there’s not a single peep from anyone. Nada, including from those who’ve felt the need to state something like “move on, stop talking about him” in the past (we know who you are), but then as soon as any counter to it is put forth, as soon as a rebuttal towards that narrative is presented... out they come from the shadows ready to let everyone know that they need to stop discussing anything pertaining to him, and to move on already!  :rolleyes: 

And as mentioned above in the mod directive, often the same poster hypocritically pushes his/her narrative about the Kirk situation while telling everyone to henceforth stop without the slightest bit of self-awareness. :ols: 

Stop it.

It’s lame, petty, embarrassing, none of which is necessarily against any rules here, but on top of that it’s antithetical to what this discussion board is about. We see that the only thing you really want to stop is any narrative outside of the Kirk-the-villain, Dan/Bruce alleviating, one you’ve accepted as the ultimate truth. So make that attempt via fruitful discussion, nothing else. 

Things pertaining to the Skins will be discussed, positive and negative, and there are moderators here who are more than capable of figuring out what stifles and ruins fruitful discussion and what doesn’t (which can change given the context at any moment). Kirk and how he compares to Alex, how the FO handled the entire situation while he was here culminating in the trade for Alex, etc... is absolutely relevant and will be a topic for discussion. If it ever gets to the point to where it did with RG3, and an “OCD” contingent erupts and threatens the health of the board, we’ll take the necessary steps. 

As for now, it’s a legitimate topic and no one should be attempting to shut down the discussion on either side.

Next time it happens the guilty party will be given some time off. Thanks to the vast majority of you who have no problem with this concept and respect the rules. :) 

I NEVER 'TRASHED' #8.

HE WAS 'MY GUY (WHILE A REDSKIN)'.

I ONLY MENTIONED #10, BECAUSE OF THE VITRIOL HE'S RECEIVED ON 'ES'.

SEEMS AS THOUGH EVERY THREAD ABOUT 'OUR PRESENT QB, ALEX SMITH #11'...

TURNS INTO A 'COUSINS' THREAD.

YOUR 'ASSESSMENT' OF 'MY COMMENTARY' RESULTS FROM 'YOUR OWN (MIS-)INTERPRETATIONS' THEREOF!!!

ENGLISH IS NOT MY 'FIRST LANGUAGE', AS I AM 'BA-LUBA', FROM THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO.

SORRY THAT 'MY ENGLISH' IS DEEMED 'INFERIOR' TO 'YOURS'.

THIS IS WHY I 'REFRAIN FROM COMMENTARY/POSTING'...

THE 'REACTIONARYISM' IS 'A BIT MUCH', FOR THIS 'NATURALIZED FORMER U.S. NAVSECGRU/NAVSPECWARGRU OPERATOR'!?!

AND, ON THAT NOTE, I PROMISE THE ENTIRE 'ES FAMILY' THAT I SHALL NEVER POST - AGAIN.

'PROBLEM SOLVED'.

Lol. ^ You do know you can get your point across without the capital letters...right? just sayin :P no need for the "big-shouty" letters :806: 

cant believe any of that even has to be said to an adult. anyway, back to Alex Smith: I think he's going to be a heck of a QB for us this year. i'm excited to see what he does during training camp practices and pre-season. can it be here now?? 

@OlufemiBiz I’m going to do you a courtesy and address you here, even though you’re violating multiple rules just in that post (rule 18 by not PM’ing me instead and rule 16 by posting in all caps for starters), as I’m going to assume it’s not intentional and more due to a language barrier. 

2 hours ago, OlufemiBiz said:

YOUR 'ASSESSMENT' OF 'MY COMMENTARY' RESULTS FROM 'YOUR OWN (MIS-)INTERPRETATIONS' THEREOF!!!

No mis-interpreting here on my end, as the directive I had issued previously is very clear. It’s simple, we don’t want anyone attempting to shut a legitimate discussion down by unnecessarily ordering others to stop or making them feel bad for engaging in it. 

Now, the unfortunate thing here is that instead of recognizing that someone else actually got time off for this and that all I did was remind everyone, including you, of the directive with no penalties issued... well, it’s too bad that I got this kind of a response, to say the least. 

ENGLISH IS NOT MY 'FIRST LANGUAGE', AS I AM 'BA-LUBA', FROM THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO.

SORRY THAT 'MY ENGLISH' IS DEEMED 'INFERIOR' TO 'YOURS'.

There was absolutely nothing in my response indicating that English being your second language was in any way a problem.

Some of our best and most valued contributors here, like @Wildbunny and @wilco_holland, are in the same boat. Simply put, there’s no need for you to make it about that. We’re here to help if you have any questions or are struggling to understand any rules/directives. Just ask.  

THE 'REACTIONARYISM' IS 'A BIT MUCH', FOR THIS 'NATURALIZED FORMER U.S. NAVSECGRU/NAVSPECWARGRU OPERATOR'!?!

AND, ON THAT NOTE, I PROMISE THE ENTIRE 'ES FAMILY' THAT I SHALL NEVER POST - AGAIN.

'PROBLEM SOLVED'.

So you automatically go to never wanting to post here again due to receiving a reminder regarding a mod directive you violated (with no penalty issued), and yet we’re the reactionary ones here? 

Look, if that’s how you feel that’s your prerogative. I’m certainly not going to stop you from never posting. All I can say is that, well, that’s an over “reaction” and completely unnecessary, brother. 

If you’ve got any further questions or concerns, PM me. Let’s not take this off topic any more than it has been already. Thanks. 

22 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

I think the pressure to perform will be a big factor this season. Alex will play loose and Kirk will play tight (1 for 6 in red zone drills this week w/2 INT's)

I can't imagine what would happen in Vikings land if they go 0-2 to start with 49'rs and Packers with the 49'rs being an "unscouted" oppontent. Garoppolo  and Shanny combo would scare the hech outa me.

That will be interesting to watch

I wonder if he did the same old violent unsnapping of his chin strap like he can't believe it actually happened again! :rofl89:

46 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I want Smith to succeed and win here, but I just don't see any reason to get hyped up that it's going to be some massive upgrade at the position.  At best, IMO, it will be a wash in terms of production from the QB.  

I think his intangibles, like his leadership and his bringing the team together, will be an upgrade. I think the players will be more committed to Smith because he is committed to being here.

I never got the impression Cousins was fully committed to being here. He seemed to keep himself separate from the team, and always had one foot out the door.

At least in that one way, I think Smith will be an upgrade.

15 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I think his intangibles, like his leadership and his bringing the team together, will be an upgrade. I think the players will be more committed to Smith because he is committed to being here.

I never got the impression Cousins was fully committed to being here. He seemed to keep himself separate from the team, and always had one foot out the door.

At least in that one way, I think Smith will be an upgrade.

Correct, and even if it’s a lateral move at best, we are allocating a significantly less percentage of the cap to Smith than the Vikings are Cousins. And even if Smith lasts only 3 seasons, that happens to be when Cousins contract is up...again. Cousins seems far more interested in personal wealth and paving the way for how future QB contracts are handled than he does committing to a franchise long term and taking a deal that permits the team to successfully build around him. My prediction: Cousins’ contract that he got is laughed at 3 seasons from now. He’s just not the kind of guy who can elevate the guys around him. Vikings better hope they win it all this year or next, because once guys like Theilen, Diggs, Barr, Rhodes, etc want their money its going to be tough to keep the whole gang together.

Archived