Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

2 hours ago, bobafett14 said:

Let the flag fly:

Sincerely,

An Alex Smith survivor.

This is sorta funny, but you obviously don’t know the ineptitude and misery of being a Washington sports fan. I’ll welcome a few exciting playoff runs or even making it to the postseason with open arms no matter who the QB is. Good luck with Mahomes. 

3 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

This is sorta funny, but you obviously don’t know the ineptitude and misery of being a Washington sports fan. I’ll welcome a few exciting playoff runs or even making it to the postseason with open arms no matter who the QB is. Good luck with Mahomes. 

Might want to edit down your quote bro.  Edit:  sorry TK, beat me to it.  

2 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

Fix that. :) 

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote pics, gifs, vids, or any large sections of text.
It unnecessarily extends and clutters threads and is annoying. Edit them out. If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post,you can simply highlight text, click the popup that floats over it, and it just quotes that text.  When on mobile, if you quote a post with an image in it, simply tap the image in the quote box to highlight it & hit backspace on your keyboard to delete it.

19 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

When a player is tagged, franchise or transition.  Is the tag sealed to them for the entire offseason or can it be rescinded up to a certain date no harm no foul?  If it is the later, then I would tag Kirk at least with the transitional tag.  If no team bites, then rescind it.

It can be rescinded if he doesn't sign.

If he signs, you are married.

He'll sign.

9 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

I’ll welcome a few exciting playoff runs or even making it to the postseason with open arms no matter who the QB is.

I hope you're not under the impression that Alex Smith is the type of quarterback that simply makes the playoffs because he carries teams there.  What he's basically telling you is that most of the time it seems the other way around.  I don't know how true that is, because if you asked some fans here about Kirk, they'd tell his next teams fans that they will never make the playoffs, because he didn't here. 

15 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

Are you sure?

The Chiefs have won ONE playoff game since 1993.

1 hour ago, rumplestilskin said:

Stop making so much sense and thinking outside the box. Your making people feel uncomfortable.

Look no further than.............the Chiefs! 

Everyone knew they were cutting Smith and the Skins still gave them a bounty in return.

It can be done. 

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I hope you're not under the impression that Alex Smith is the type of quarterback that simply makes the playoffs because he carries teams there.  What he's basically telling you is that most of the time it seems the other way around.  I don't know how true that is, because if you asked some fans here about Kirk, they'd tell his next teams fans that they will never make the playoffs, because he didn't here. 

Alex Smith was carried by the Chiefs defense and running game for four seasons.

Do ya'll even realize he played with a top 10 defense every single season from 2011-2016?

All of it...wasted.

The Chiefs were top 10 in scoring defense and rushing offense in 2014 and 2015.

Alex wasted those teams. 

The Chiefs didn't even make the damn playoffs in 2014. Because Alex went an entire year without hitting a WR for a TD. 

I am not making this up.

Get ready to never win division titles because with the Eagles and Carson Wentz in your division...Alex is going to be playing second fiddle to an elite QB, no different than it was when Peyton Manning was dominating the AFC West.

I don't think anyone believes Alex is going to carry the team to the playoffs but I don't think he will hold a team back from getting there either.  He is a solid mid-tier starter and so provided he has talent around him he can get the job done but he is not going to take a roster full of JAGs and make them winners.  I am fine with that because as we see proven year in and year out there are not 32 competent Quarterbacks in the league and if you are one of the teams without one you can endure a season of misery even if you have a roster loaded at other positions, case in point being the 5-11 Denver Broncos.

2 minutes ago, Butters20 said:

Look no further than.............the Chiefs! 

Everyone knew they were cutting Smith and the Skins still gave them a bounty in return.

It can be done. 

The difference again is the price he was under contract for and the fact that he was already signed.  To get Kirk under contract requires a tag and if we offer the exclusive tag he will sign and destroy our cap flexibility and if its the transition he will get a deal we cannot match and we won't even get the chance of a compensatory pick. 

1 minute ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I don't think anyone believes Alex is going to carry the team to the playoffs but I don't think he will hold a team back from getting there either.  He is a solid mid-tier starter and so provided he has talent around him he can get the job done but he is not going to take a roster full of JAGs and make them winners.

He certainly held the 2014 Chiefs back. That was the best defense of the Alexian era and he wasted it. We had a pass rusher with 22 sacks!

I pay pretty close attention to other team's histories and I'll tell you who you guys just traded for...

Brunell_Mark1_Redskins.jpg

Congrats on repeating your own flawed, irrelevant history. We've been doing it for 25 years.

29 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If Breeland or Brown walk and get a big deal, that would likely be negated by whoever we bring in if we brought in an equally big contract. Cousins will be hard to wipe out with Breeland and Brown possibly leaving as well.

Say Kirk walks, and Breeland signs for $9-10 million elsewhere. If we don't bring in another $9-10 million contract, we likely get a 3rd for Cousins and a 4th for Breeland.

If Breeland leaves and signs for $9-10 million and we go sgn someone like Allen Robinson for $9-10 million, those two would wash each other out. And Cousins would net us the 3rd.

Sure, but that's a lot of "ifs".

Breeland will likely hit FA.  I'd be surprised if the Skins let Brown go too if that happens.

Look, Alex Smith is not a sexy trade acquisition.  The FO knows this.  And they know this Cousins drama has divided their fanbase.  They're going to try and make a splash in free agency to distract the fans and win everyone back.  "Look at the shiny object!"

The Redskins are notorious for not receiving comp picks.  They're near the bottom of the league in that category since its inception.  

Given that, I'm betting that there won't be a 3rd for Kirk in 2019 either.

8 minutes ago, bobafett14 said:

Congrats on repeating your own flawed, irrelevant history. We've been doing it for 25 years.

You won't get an argument from me in regards to our own team.  But with that said, you guys don't know pain like we know pain.  At minimum, your organization has been competent enough to be relevant rather consistently.  The moment this team hits the gas, the car breaks down every time.

What I saw out of this trade was that the Chiefs are a forward thinking team, that drafted the heir apparent last season, and took advantage of the QB market and cashed in on the guy they knew they were already done with.  That requires forward thinking and a plan.  What you saw out of our team was desperation.  Desperate not to go into next season with nothing because the QB they do have, hates them, and they don't have time to wait for a rookie to be good or else they'll end up unemployed. 

In summary, I'll take your irrelevance over ours every day of the week.

EDIT: And P.S. - Skins fans please save me the BS about our three trophies covered in soot and dust.  I feel like Super Bowl trophy bragging should be required to cease after a decade or two.  If you haven't done anything since then, pipe down.

12 minutes ago, bobafett14 said:

He certainly held the 2014 Chiefs back. That was the best defense of the Alexian era and he wasted it. We had a pass rusher with 22 sacks!

I pay pretty close attention to other team's histories and I'll tell you who you guys just traded for...

<pic of Brunell>

If Smith can do what Brunell did in the 2005 season, then it was worth it.  That team was amazing and injuries stopped it from going to the Super Bowl.

But yeah, this move sucks.  If you make a move that doesn't make you win the Super Bowl, with this kind of cost, then you're an idiot.  Thanks, Bruce and Dan.

8 minutes ago, bobafett14 said:

Love it!  Actually - what's holding the Chiefs back ultimately is Big Red - Andy Reid.  I'm a suffering Skins fan living near Philly.  Eagles fans hate Reid even though he got them to four NFC Championship games and one Superbowl appearance.  Same story - great defenses with decent weapons on offense but couldn't quite get over the hump.  Reid always seems to get out-coached in the biggest games.  Redskins fans would quickly trade that kind of success for what we've had to deal with over the last 25 years.  Chiefs fans - be prepared to have your hearts pulled from your chests for as long as Reid is the coach - sometimes the bridesmaid but never the bride.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You won't get an argument from me in regards to our own team.  But with that said, you guys don't know pain like we know pain. 

I will fight you on this. Sure, we FINALLY did the right thing at the QB position, but it's not like the Redskins haven't done that before the Chiefs ever did. And you did it TWICE with RG3 and Cousins, even if they didn't stick around.

The Chiefs:

1. Before Mahomie, had not drafted a R1 QB since 1983.

2. Have four playoff wins since 1970

The Redskins have three times as many playoff since JUST SINCE 1985!

When was the last time you guys blew a #1 or #2 seed? The 70s?

The Chiefs did that in 1995, 1997, 2003 and 2016, and failed to draft even ONE round one QB in that entire span.

That's pain.

Just now, bobafett14 said:

I will fight you on this. Sure, we FINALLY did the right thing at the QB position, but it's not like the Redskins haven't done that before the Chiefs ever did. And you did it TWICE with RG3 and Cousins, even if they didn't stick around.

Based on a couple of preseason games and one regular season win against a Broncos team that was phoning it in.  I think you need to pump the brakes here.  Mahomes is nothing but potential right now and sure he could be the answer but he could also be Josh Freeman. 

2 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Based on a couple of preseason games and one regular season win against a Broncos team that was phoning it in.  I think you need to pump the brakes here.  Mahomes is nothing but potential right now and sure he could be the answer but he could also be Josh Freeman. 

Quite true. But, they still TRIED. We've been going through retreads for decades. Steve Bono? Elvis Grbac? Matt Cassel? Alex Smith? The only guy who halfway worked out was Trent Green (you guys remember him), and he got saddled with the league's worst defenses.

We passed on Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, Aaron Rodgers, Derek Carr...probably some other dudes I'm forgetting. For NOTHING. 

They TRIED to do the RIGHT thing, finally. It's refreshing.

1 minute ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

By the right thing, I think he means drafting a 1st round talent, letting them sit a year, getting value for the prior guy and giving this guy a shot.

Literally every player, no snaps or 10K snaps, is nothing but potential until the lights come on.  Same deal goes here for how Smith will mesh with Jay, this offense and personnel.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Smith's age, how they handled the Cousins negotiations for three years, the extension they gave Smith (albeit we don't know the details yet). All of which weren't bad, per se. They weren't great, but not awful. Throwing in Fuller and a 3rd is just Cerrato-level dumb when there are decent, younger QBs available in FA. I would have rather taken a 1-yr flyer on Bridgewater/Bradford/Keenum/Taylor and kept the 3rd and Fuller.

That certainly sounds like a good plan(s) to me. I would only add, we don't know what Jay's input is and also that have the tenure of Him and Bruce. Maybe Snyder was pushing win now? We just don't know. I like Smith, hated losing Fuller. Certainly can't go back and right the wrong with Cousins. 

38 minutes ago, bobafett14 said:

Alex Smith was carried by the Chiefs defense and running game for four seasons.

Do ya'll even realize he played with a top 10 defense every single season from 2011-2016?

All of it...wasted.

The Chiefs were top 10 in scoring defense and rushing offense in 2014 and 2015.

Alex wasted those teams. 

The Chiefs didn't even make the damn playoffs in 2014. Because Alex went an entire year without hitting a WR for a TD. 

I am not making this up.

Get ready to never win division titles because with the Eagles and Carson Wentz in your division...Alex is going to be playing second fiddle to an elite QB, no different than it was when Peyton Manning was dominating the AFC West.

I'd be looking at your coaches track record in the big game before I put sole ownership of the postseason struggles on Alex Smith... Reid regularly had the demon of not being able to live up to expectations in the playoffs while he was with the Eagles... the 'Dream team' was supposed to be the best team ever and fell flat.  

Archived