Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

13 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Does this mean this team will finally be able to beat the NYGs when they are mediocre? Cousins seems to be the one QB that defense can fluster, confuse, and make look bad no matter what condition their team is in. 

totally get what you're saying.  But to be a smartass.  The Chiefs scored a whopping 9 points in a loss last year to the Giants.  I know it's more then just scoreboard, but 9 is 9.

Kurt needs to be transition tagged and Skins trade him. 

Even if this goes into the FA period. The value is a minimum 2nd rounder with an almost certain 1st rounder.

We tag him Feb 20th. Yes, we will be left with minimal cap space... temporarily. 

Teams may offer higher, Skins need to match. 

Eventually you will have him under contract. Multiple suitors await and can all but guarantee a 1st. A 2nd rounder is a lock

9 minutes ago, Schwenky said:

I don't get why this is so hard to understand.  The Redskins have NO LEVERAGE with two QB's on the team taking up 95% of the cap.  NONE, ZERO, NADA, ZILCH.  Every other team in the NFL knows that the Redskins can't afford to keep both contracts.  They also know that time is short between the beginning of the league year (March 14th) and the draft (can't sign any of your free agents - the Skins have a ton - with no cap room, can't prepare for the draft if you don't know which free agents you'll be bringing back...).  Why would any team offer up anything of value to the Redskins in exchange for either QB under that scenario?

I understand your comment and realize it is a reach but hypothetically what is stopping Bruce from shopping either QB and exporing all options before the deadline? Thats right nothing. Its only shoping till you buy something. There is currently only one QB on the team and that's McCoy.

1 minute ago, zoony said:

Will be pretty funny to see the backtracking and gymnastics by certain posters when Kirk just goes straight to free agency.  Which is what is going to happen

Oh for sure..i was just ****in around...I know he's gone...I'm starting to lean towards being glad to see change... you know having Kirk Cousins almost reminds me of like pre ejaculation to only come away with blue balls...this whole thing is just a mess...I'm an emotional train wreck with everything I want both the consistency of keeping Kirk Cousins around and building around him and I also want to see change and excited  to see what Alex Smith can do I've always liked him as a quarterback I think he gives us a chance.

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Dont forget we just resigned Quinton Dunbar to a three year deal as well. I know they are high on him. Maybe they feel like between Moreau and Dunbar they have the CB position covered? 

True. I think Dunbar is okay as he continues to show flashes, but still lacks the consistency. Regardless, he's also is an outside corner. We don't have any corners who can hang with the Edelman types.

7 minutes ago, zoony said:

Will be pretty funny to see the backtracking and gymnastics by certain posters when Kirk just goes straight to free agency.  Which is what is going to happen

Most of the posters hellbent on that stuff, typically go into hiding like Homer in the bush.  They only show up the few times their crazy ideas end up right.

7 minutes ago, Schwenky said:

I don't get why this is so hard to understand.  The Redskins have NO LEVERAGE with two QB's on the team taking up 95% of the cap.  NONE, ZERO, NADA, ZILCH.  Every other team in the NFL knows that the Redskins can't afford to keep both contracts.  They also know that time is short between the beginning of the league year (March 14th) and the draft (can't sign any of your free agents - the Skins have a ton - with no cap room, can't prepare for the draft if you don't know which free agents you'll be bringing back...).  Why would any team offer up anything of value to the Redskins in exchange for either QB under that scenario?

Its really easy, we just create some buzz and leak out offers from other teams. 

Teams will get desperate and start bidding against each other. 

... Bruce Allen runs multiple teams in this league right? 

2 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Even if this goes into the FA period. The value is a minimum 2nd rounder with an almost certain 1st rounder.

We tag him Feb 20th. Yes, we will be left with minimal cap space... temporarily. 

Eventually you will have him under contract. Multiple suitors await and can all but guarantee a 1st. A 2nd rounder is a lock

His name is KIRK. And the transition tag does us no good. He would just sign a deal with someone and we wouldnt match it. 

2 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

You realize this is crazy, right? Literally bat**** crazy...

Which means there's a very good chance that Brucey Bruce will do exactly that.

2 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

I understand your comment and realize it is a reach but hypothetically what is stopping Bruce from shopping either QB and exporing all options before the deadline? Thats right nothing. Its only shoping till you buy something. Others is currently only one QB on the team and that's McCoy.

My point is that there's no point to even shopping either QB - you won't get anything back because every other team knows you are screwed unless you release one of the QB's.  

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Most of the posters hellbent on that stuff, typically go into hiding like Homer in the bush.  They only show up the few times their crazy ideas end up right.

If I'm part of this discussion, I've said multiple times I don't think it's likely. It's a shot in the dark and it's maybe a 2% chance but people saying it's impossible or there's no scenario in the world that it could work are just plain wrong. Are they likely? Hell no - the Talib one is most likely because there is an obvious incentive for all 3 parties - doesn't mean it's going to happen. I almost talked myself into the idea that it was likely because I really liked the idea last night, but I've come down from that pedestal. 

But saying there's no way a trade is possible under any circumstances is like saying nobody wins the lottery ever. It's technically possible although definitely improbable.

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

His name is KIRK. And the transition tag does us no good. He would just sign a deal with someone and we wouldnt match it. 

Why not match?? We have almost 35 mil in space, and none of it would be used. 

Teams would salivate to trade for him versus a free agency bid war. 

Frankly, if a team did match or better... fine, let him go. What does that cost the Skins???

Point being, there's almost nothing to lose by tagging him. 

14 minutes ago, Schwenky said:

Actually I think there is a bit of leverage there, but it's a lot less than it was 3 days ago.  I could see a team like Denver for NYJ reaching out to us and seeing if we'd be willing to work out a deal, since as of this moment, we are the first team that could control the rights to him.  If they were to work out a tag and trade situation, then that means they don't risk him hitting free agency.  This is absolutely not something I would even consider unless the deal was already in place.  If they come to us and ask us to do it.. that one thing, but to Tag him with the HOPE that someone would deal... that's insane to me, like you said.  

7 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

I understand your comment and realize it is a reach but hypothetically what is stopping Bruce from shopping either QB and exporing all options before the deadline? Thats right nothing. Its only shoping till you buy something. There is currently only one QB on the team and that's McCoy.

How does he shop Kirk when everyone knows he's going to hit FA? How/why would he shop Alex Smith when the Chiefs just sold him to their highest bidder, us? We'd never get the value back that we gave up for him. 

We'll go into next season with Smith, McCoy, and some late rounder and that's that. All of this crazy talk is distracting.

Just now, Bonez3 said:

Why not match?? We have almost 35 mil in space, and none of it would be used. 

Teams would salivate to trade for him versus a free agency bid war. 

So you want to tie up 30 million dollars in cap space in HOPES of trading Kirk for something? Lets say you can trade him for a 2nd rounder like the Pats got for Garoppolo. If we let him leave via FA we are going to get a 3rd rounder anyways. It is not worth the monetary risk for a pick one round better. I guess technically you could do it. 

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

So you want to tie up 30 million dollars in cap space in HOPES of trading Kirk for something? Lets say you can trade him for a 2nd rounder like the Pats got for Garoppolo. If we let him leave via FA we are going to get a 3rd rounder anyways. It is not worth the monetary risk for a pick one round better. I guess technically you could do it. 

The pick is this year, not 2019 comp, so far more valuable. You could theoreticaly land a nice CB to replace Fuller.

Again, Kurt will be gone before any implications of the cap apply. He'll be gone before the draft.

If another team betters tag offer, again, no loss. There's virtually nothing to risk here

If 'technically' you could do it, why the hell wouldn't you??

The team made a decision the Smith was more valuable than the compensation/risk they could have received in a tag and trade scenario.

It's very unlikely that we will get more than a 3rd round comp pick at this point.

The only scenarios where it would work would be if a deal had already been agreed upon or if a team wants a decision for Kirk before the McCarron/Dalton trade market heats up. That's still very unlikely.

Just now, Bonez3 said:

The pick is this year. You could theoreticaly land a lie CB to replace Fuller.

Again, Kurt will be gone before any implications of the cap apply. He'll be gone before the draft.

If another team betters tag offer, again, no loss. There's virtually nothing to risk here

The risk is he signs the tag and refuses to move and now we are using all of our available resources to pay 2 quarterbacks.

3 minutes ago, CTskin said:

How does he shop Kirk when everyone knows he's going to hit FA? How/why would he shop Alex Smith when the Chiefs just sold him to their highest bidder, us? We'd never get the value back that we gave up for him. 

We'll go into next season with Smith, McCoy, and some late rounder and that's that. All of this crazy talk is distracting.

The only way it would work is if Denver / Arizona / NYJ got desperate to not let him him free agency and they came to us, not the other way around... .and it would cost at least a 2nd round pick since we get a 3rd anyways.  It's a stretch.... but....possible. 

Just now, Bonez3 said:

The pick is this year. You could theoreticaly land a lie CB to replace Fuller.

He'll be gone IF a team agrees to a trade and if he agrees to a long-term deal with that team.

Otherwise, he can just sign the tender, make $32 million as the backup, and do this again next year.

Just now, WelshSkinsFan said:

The risk is he signs the tag and refuses to move and now we are using all of our available resources to pay 2 quarterbacks.

I don't believe that comes with a no trade clause.

Just now, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

He'll be gone IF a team agrees to a trade and if he agrees to a long-term deal with that team.

Otherwise, he can just sign the tender, make $32 million as the backup, and do this again next year.

The tender is average of top 10 at position, way less than 32 mil. Tender him and go from there. Will be closer to 28 mil

Just now, Bonez3 said:

I don't believe that comes with a no trade clause.

Kirk could just sign the transition tag and NOT look for a long term deal though. And then his trade value is nothing because he would only be under contract for one year at 28 million. No one is going to rent Cousins for a year at 28 million. So either way Kirk still holds ALL of the leverage. 

Archived