Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

16 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

If Smith can do what Brunell did in the 2005 season, then it was worth it.  That team was amazing and injuries stopped it from going to the Super Bowl.

But yeah, this move sucks.  If you make a move that doesn't make you win the Super Bowl, with this kind of cost, then you're an idiot.  Thanks, Bruce and Dan.

I don't think the cost was that high, tho as stated hated it had to be done and at the expense of losing Fuller. 

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

By the right thing, I think he means drafting a 1st round talent, letting them sit a year, getting value for the prior guy and giving this guy a shot.

Honestly that's probably the thing I like most about the Smith trade. Gives the Redskins some time they otherwise wouldn't have had to draft the QB of the future, groom him for stepping into the starting role.  I think the Skins are still a year or two away from doing this.  The team needs to focus on strengthening the defense and maybe adding a true RB1 first.  Hate that they had to part with Fuller but think they can close the CB gap more quickly then they could have closed the QB gap once Cousins left.  

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I'd be looking at your coaches track record in the big game before I put sole ownership of the postseason struggles on Alex Smith... 

Reid won plenty of playoff games when Donovan McNabb was his QB.

I firmly believe Andy Reid is the best thing that ever happened to Alex. If you look at the All 22 from our playoff losses Reid is scheming receivers open. Not just a little open. WIDE OPEN.

Andy led a horse to water but he sure couldn't make him drink.

Not a lot of Andy Reid fans on this board.  Losing that game to the titans took a spectacularly poor sequence of playcalls in the second half to make it happen.

Andy Benoit wrote a really good article for the MMQB on why the wheels fell off for KC mid season after the 5-0 start and he put it mainly down to the fact that the league figured out what you guys were doing offensively and schemed accordingly and Andy Reid took two months to figure out he needed to make adjustments to compensate.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/27/kansas-city-chiefs-alex-smith-andy-reid-losing-streak-offense

12 minutes ago, bobafett14 said:

I firmly believe Andy Reid is the best thing that ever happened to Alex. If you look at the All 22 from our playoff losses Reid is scheming receivers open. Not just a little open. WIDE OPEN.

he also lost plenty... and most of his playoff wins were against wildcard teams and they were top seeded.  What you saw vs the Titans is something that happened A LOT with him at the helm of the Eagles.  He's got a .478 winning % in the postseason. 

Just now, Fat Stupid Loser said:

BA could have, He continually chose not to. For 3 years.

Based on what we've seen, do you honestly believe a deal could have even been made?  Kirk gave NO indication that he ever wanted to sign a long term deal.... and admittedly i was one of the loudest supporters of keeping him here.  I've always been a Kirk supporter, but looking back, it appears he never wanted to be here long term.  

12 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Not a lot of Andy Reid fans on this board.  Losing that game to the titans took a spectacularly poor sequence of playcalls in the second half to make it happen.

The playcalling was not an issue.

Go and watch the All 22. The Chiefs did not call a single sideways pass or bubble screen. The only time they threw one was when Alex took a checkdown, on a play he had a receiver open downfield.

Andy schemed receivers open in the second half, Alex just didn't hit them.

And you can talk about the running game, but the Titans were stuffing the run. 

I'm telling you: 90 percent of our problem in the postseason was Alex Smith.

22 minutes ago, bobafett14 said:

Andy lead the Horse to water and then took the bowl away. WE longtime Skins fans vastly aware of his mis-steps in clock mgt. and playcalling. 

Regular season: 183–120–1 (.604)
Postseason: 11–13 (.458)

32 minutes ago, bobafett14 said:

Quite true. But, they still TRIED. We've been going through retreads for decades. Steve Bono? Elvis Grbac? Matt Cassel? Alex Smith? The only guy who halfway worked out was Trent Green (you guys remember him), and he got saddled with the league's worst defenses.

We passed on Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, Aaron Rodgers, Derek Carr...probably some other dudes I'm forgetting. For NOTHING. 

They TRIED to do the RIGHT thing, finally. It's refreshing.

Every team tries.  You're still playing on hope and potential.

Hell, we TRIED with Shuler, Ramsey, Campbell and RG III.

So best of luck with your try.

2 minutes ago, bobafett14 said:

The playcalling was not an issue.

Go and watch the All 22. The Chiefs did not call a single sideways pass or bubble screen. The only time they threw one was when Alex took a checkdown, on a play he had a receiver open downfield.

Andy schemed receivers open in the second half, Alex just didn't hit them.

And you can talk about the running game, but the Titans were stuffing the run. 

I'm telling you: 90 percent of our problem in the postseason was Alex Smith.

in your opinion... at halftime of that game I looked at my father in law and told him KC was going to lose because Andy Reid is a terrible 2nd half coach, especially in the playoffs.  You can scheme players open all you want, but if the progression isn't there, they never get to it.  Kirk did the same thing.. his 4th read would be running free to the endzone, but his 2nd read is wide open so he hits it for a 4 yard gain, having never got to the other side of the field.  

Andy Reid screwed the Skins again. This reminds me of the Donovan McNabb trade. The Skins had better draft a QB as the first pick as I don't think Smith has probably but a year left in the tank. Why doesn't the Skins get a GM?? Only two teams in the NFL don't have GM's the Skins and the Cowboys. Danny boy use the head.

On trade talk - if they tag him, what is stopping Kirk's agent from saying he won't negotiate a long term deal with any team that trades for him?

Kirk wants to hit FA and nobody is going to trade anything for him on a 1 year $34M deal with no extension when they can just bid on him in FA. There aren't any front offices dumb enough to be in that situation. Except us maybe. 

This is a lot different that McNabb, who had questionable fitness and accuracy.
Smith has limited arm strength, but is very accurate and takes care of his health. 

One guy was pretty much done, the other successfully carved out a career as a game manager.

The McNabb trade was PR/business. It was stupid. Just like the Jason Taylor trade. 

1 minute ago, RG3fan said:

Andy Reid screwed the Skins again. This reminds me of the Donovan McNabb trade. The Skins had better draft a QB as the first pick as I don't think Smith has probably but a year left in the tank. Why doesn't the Skins get a GM?? Only two teams in the NFL don't have GM's the Skins and the Cowboys. Danny boy use the head.

Can't agree with this.  McNabb was fat and past it and clearly didn't care when he got here.  Smith is a pro, in great physical shape and as has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread younger than Aaron Rodgers, Big Ben, Rivers, Brees, Brady, Eli, Cutler and a bunch more so I am fairly sure he is here at least 3 years.  I like that because I don't love this QB class and now we don't have to force anything and can instead focus on BPA in the early rounds.  If a guy like Falk falls to us in the 5th then great but otherwise we can roll with Alex and Colt and address a QB of the future next year or even the year after that,

6 minutes ago, RG3fan said:

McNabb was on the way down.. Smith was in the conversation for MVP last year.  McNabb came from a division rival, Smith came from a team we see rarely.  McNabb was an off script QB who played in an era where "jacked up" was on Monday Night Coundown.  Smith plays in an era where a sneeze too close to the QB gets you flagged for 'attempting to infect with the flu.'  

3 hours ago, CTskin said:

I completely disagree; Alex Smith allows us to continue the same system with no hiccups while also allowing us to build for the future. 

You may be right, but a big part of building for the future is having a long range plan at QB. Traditionally, that meant a young QB holding a clipboard for a year or 2. Not so much anymore of course with young QBs doing well, but we have nothing in the pipe and seemingly no plan for that.

Dan is always in win now mode, and I just don't see him ever giving a rats ass about the future.

OT, I just got into an argument with a coworker over who our GM is. They swear it is Doug Williams making all the decisions.

Quit the Mcnabb comparisons, its irrelevant all this trade has secured is that we will be MEDIOCRE to below AVERAGE still, which is why it didnt make sense to include fuller id rather build up a defense and try to win with a drafted qb or a mediocre qb we could pick up in free agency or even Colt Mccoy...

15 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

On trade talk - if they tag him, what is stopping Kirk's agent from saying he won't negotiate a long term deal with any team that trades for him?

Kirk wants to hit FA and nobody is going to trade anything for him on a 1 year $34M deal with no extension when they can just bid on him in FA. There aren't any front offices dumb enough to be in that situation. Except us maybe. 

Theoretically, yes, here we use to say, there is a dummy rising and shining every morning ;) If you were told about this trade before it happened would you have believed it ? I guess Kirk's situation will keep on getting us entertained in the coming weeks.

5 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

You may be right, but a big part of building for the future is having a long range plan at QB. Traditionally, that meant a young QB holding a clipboard for a year or 2. Not so much anymore of course with young QBs doing well, but we have nothing in the pipe and seemingly no plan for that.

Dan is always in win now mode, and I just don't see him ever giving a rats ass about the future.

OT, I just got into an argument with a coworker who our GM is. They swear it is Doug Williams making all the decisions.

It is. I was reading something wed morning about how Doug Williams was the skins voice behind this trade....

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

OT, I just got into an argument with a coworker who our GM is. They swear it is Doug Williams making all the decisions.

This also gives us a chance to build a system and not have a major layoff at QB.  We can continue to add pieces that fit this system, while running a QB that can execute it.  That way we can find another younger QB that fits this system and the transition from Smith to player X is minimal in effecting the other players within the system.  

Archived