Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

18 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Getting Alex Smith is basically admitting we cannot draft and develop QBs, even in a deep draft class.  All this, in an era when young QBs have had unparalleled success very early in their careers. It's basically a snub at Jay and his staff while screaming - just win now!

What's to keep them from drafting a quarterback to groom behind Alex smith? 

12 hours ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Can we get one of the browns first round picks for Kirk..we give them Kirk and next year's first round pick.. pick best defensive player with that pick than an o lineman at 13 but only if it's the numro uno guy in the draft..maybe receiver..than buy leveon bell and Jarvis Landry?..no?..well at least #BruceAllendrinksCoorslightandsodoi and I agree with it..haha

Hypothetically, of course, since this won't happen, who would you take?

Barkley would change the franchise drastically but he won't be available. Do you take Fitzpatrick, the OLman from Notre Dame, or one of the QBs?

At this point, we may as well hold off on drafting a QB high until next year or so, even though the Qb class may not be as strong top to bottom..

5 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

This is correct to some degree but you don’t need to tank a season to draft and develop a QB. The FO knows getting Smith will keeps the fans still interested while we all tune in on Sundays. They will still draft and groom a guy they want while we still have Smith who can win games. 

I thought Mike Shanahan would draft and groom a QB in year 1, nope. In year 2, nope.  Not even a late rounder to try to develop?  Beck can hold down the fort my ass. And then seemingly out of desperation burned 4 picks on 1 guy. Or was it 5. No wait, 3 picks. Ok let's just say 4 until a mathematician can resolve this. I still think Dan grew frustrated that Mike hadn't drafted anyone, and felt forced to issue the directive for Mike to act, which he did out of spite.

So I no longer count a drafted QB before they hatch. I read extending / guaranteeing Smith as a strong "we ain't drafting a QB" move. But you may be right, it would be so Redskins!!!1! to burn our 13th overall on a QB and taking a player we have no intention of using for a few years.  Alex Smith = Win Now. Drafting a QB for 3 years from now is not a win now move and prevents filling other holes in the meantime.

8 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I thought Mike Shanahan would draft and groom a QB in year 1, nope. In year 2, nope.  Not even a late rounder to try to develop?  Beck can hold down the fort my ass. And then seemingly out of desperation burned 4 picks on 1 guy. Or was it 5. No wait, 3 picks. Ok let's just say 4 until a mathematician can resolve this. I still think Dan grew frustrated that Mike hadn't drafted anyone, and felt forced to issue the directive for Mike to act, which he did out of spite.

So I no longer count a drafted QB before they hatch. I read extending / guaranteeing Smith as a strong "we ain't drafting a QB" move. But you may be right, it would be so Redskins!!!1! to burn our 13th overall on a QB and taking a player we have no intention of using for a few years.  Alex Smith = Win Now. Drafting a QB for 3 years from now is not a win now move and prevents filling other holes in the meantime.

w6yRN_s-200x150.gif

In typical skins fan fashion my first reaction was also frustration,  I guess it just comes from almost 20 years of dealing with snyders moves not working out so well for us.

After more careful consideration I am warming up to the thought of change. 

We've been watching the combination of jay gruden and kirk cousins for the last four years and although it's produced some fairly impressive offensive statistics it hasn't done a  whole lot for the win column. 

Maybe they could have improved but I just don't see that combination ever becoming a championship caliber duo. 

I think it was time to let gruden pick his quarterback and hopefully draft one too and if that doesn't work then we can move on from gruden knowing he had a chance with his hand picked guy. 

11 hours ago, skins2victory said:

Tell me why you would not transition tag Kirk at this point. Why would you just let him walk, when we have the cards to play hard ball. There are multiple teams that want him. He would have to sign the tag if we designated it to him, otherwise he does not play this year.

I'm late to the party, but I thought that if Kirk didn't sign any tag, he would just hit free agency.  Is that not correct?

The sad part is that the Redskins will get nothing for Cousins.  Not even a comp pick, because you know know we will be active in free agency.

I was hoping we could sign him to a fair LTD, but he is after the cash, no matter what he says.  Wherever he goes, it is going to cost that team $27M to $30M per year.  I am now at the point that Cousins can kiss my ass with his babble about anything other than the money.  I hope he ends up playing for the Browns.

This doesn't absolve the FO for the abject stupidity they showed in the way they've handled him and his contract.  The entire FO should be tarred, feathered, and walked through the streets of DC for fans to throw rotten fruit at.

I'm still disgusted the Redskins somehow let a top 10-12 QB walk at the age of 29, that's unbelievable.  But with that said this trade was the only way to salvage a bad situation.  Sure I hated to lose Fuller but can anyone say this team with Fuller and the 3rd, with Colt, a rookie or a retread QB, would be better than the same team without Fuller and the pick but with Alex Smith?  

11 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

That's almost 20 million in salary next year for those 2.  No thanks!

No way is Talib a good fit here. First of all, he's an asshole and should be in jail for the crap he pulls on the field.  Secondly, with a lot of young guys in the secondary, do you want his penalty getting ways rubbing off on them?

If we transitioned him, he can sign with any team he wants. Theoretically we could match any offer and keep him, but we would have no way of doing that and stay under the cap. And if we transition tag him, we forfeit any comp pick for him signing elsewhere. Franchising him again would cost $34m guaranteed, which no team will pay. Let him sign elsewhere and take the 3rd round comp pick next year. It's the only option left now.

The only way I can see Alex Smith working out here is if Jay gets a legit running back and figures out how to run the ball effectively.  I have absolutely no ill will towards the guy, in fact I kind of feel sorry for the guy spending the twilight of his career with this organization.  If he thought he had it bad in KC, just wait until this fan base gets a hold of him.  All is swell until the losses pile up, and they are always the fault of the QB and coach in this town. 

It's most always sunshine and rainbows in D.C. during the offseason.  It's always "I was kind of upset at first, but... <I did all this to convince myself it will be good>".  We did it with Shanny, McNabb, RG3.  We've done it with much lesser known players, "Bruton should really solidify our secondary".  Heck, there were folks here talking about John Beck could be the guy.  We did it with Pryor and I'm guilty as well, just assuming he'd jump right in and catch 90 balls for over 1K yards. 

So to recap:

Denver is now backtracking and saying they had no interest in Smith, the Browns (the BROWNS) didn't want to commit the amount of money and the time of the extension to Smith, but we did so that somehow means that Denver and Cleveland valued Smith higher than Cousins?  

I'm confused.  If anything it shows you how inept our FO is if they went for a deal that even Cleveland thought was shaky.  

6 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm still disgusted the Redskins somehow let a top 10-12 QB walk at the age of 29, that's unbelievable.  But with that said this trade was the only way to salvage a bad situation.  Sure I hated to lose Fuller but can anyone say this team with Fuller and the 3rd, with Colt, a rookie or a retread QB, would be better than the same team without Fuller and the pick but with Alex Smith?  

We're still stuck in a bad situation.  Bruce Allen has proven he's an incompetent moron.  That means we're run by an incompetent moron.

The only way to salvage this bad situation is to fire him and start over from the top down.  Putting a band-aid on a wound doesn't change the fact that we're still staying with the man who beat us.

9 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

You should really read up on the rules and regulations governing the tags, because you're incorrect. 

I am not. IF they tagged him this year. There is absolutely no chance they would tag him again next year. The cost would be 144% of whichever tag they used this year. Lets say they franchise him at 34 million this season. His tag next year would be 49 MILLION dollars. Hence GUARANTEED he would be an UFA next year.

10 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

So to recap:

Denver is now backtracking and saying they had no interest in Smith, the Browns (the BROWNS) didn't want to commit the amount of money and the time of the extension to Smith, but we did so that somehow means that Denver and Cleveland valued Smith higher than Cousins?  

I'm confused.  If anything it shows you how inept our FO is if they went for a deal that even Cleveland thought was shaky.  

The Browns didn't want the length, my guess is all new guys there still wanna draft a QB to develop long term plan. They remind me of what Scot had to say about building the team right, Short, Mid and Long term moves all coordinated with mid and long being flexible and revisited. 

Since we have right of first refusal, what's the harm in transitioning Kirk and working out a sign and trade(assuming a team would rather get Kirk and not let him test other teams in FA)?

Doesn't the opening deadline for trades start well after the transition tag date?

We can still back out of the Alex Smith deal, just sayin

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I am not. IF they tagged him this year. There is absolutely no chance they would tag him again next year. The cost would be 144% of whichever tag they used this year. Lets say they franchise him at 34 million this season. His tag next year would be 49 MILLION dollars. Hence GUARANTEED he would be an UFA next year.

I didn't think that you could use the tag after 3 years?

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You're incorrect once again. Both regarding the ability to tag as well as the numbers. 

1 minute ago, Butters20 said:

Since we have right of first refusal, what's the harm in transitioning Kirk and working out a sign and trade(assuming a team would rather get Kirk and not let him test other teams in FA)?

Doesn't the opening deadline for trades start well after the transition tag date?

We can still back out of the Alex Smith deal, just sayin

Because if KC signs the transition tag with the skins would be obligated to eat the 28 mil if they couldn't trade him.

Archived