Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

51 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

So I'm hoping someone can help me understand something a little more clearly... so if the Redskins put whatever tag it is on Kirk I don't know which tag and he signs it it will allow us to trade him to a team for a ham sandwich and a Snickers bar correct?... if the Redskins approach Kirk with this tag and he says no I do not and will not sign it, then the Redskins can't do anything but watch him ride off into the sunset in March correct?

This is somewhat correct. 

If the Redskins actually put the tag on Kirk - he cannot ride off anywhere. He is the property of the Washington Redskins regardless of he signs it or not. But they cannot trade him unless he signs the tag. But if they tag him, either the Redskins or a prospective new team has to pay the tag number. 

If he refuses to sign, they can either let him sit out or they could rescind the offer at which point he becomes an unrestricted FA and can sign with the team of his choice. But the decision would be the teams to either rescind the tag or make him either sign it or sit out. The more likely outcome of all this is that they do not tag him and he becomes an unrestricted FA once the new season starts. 

Based on the rumors and what I would do if I were him, I believe the rumors were true about Denver. But I believe it was just to make the Redskins think Kirk would agree to a sign and trade so he can negotiate with them now without it being tampering. . He gets to hammer out a deal then tell the Redskins - sorry could not make it work. Then he signs with Denver day one of FA since they have a deal, but with no compensation to the Redskins. That Kirk knows where he is going, Denver gets their guy without using resources, and now that they have their man at QB, they can go about the rest of the team business. So it helps Denver and Kirk while making sure the Redskins get nothing. All legal and well within the rules. Kirk laughs all the way to the bank. 

The risk is that the Redskins could tag him. I was going to say they can't be that stupid - but well we know that's not true.  

@OVCChairman - There are no guarantees they get a 3rd in compensation. It depends on who they sign and lose outside of losing Kirk and who plays how many games. They may get a 3rd, or they may not get a thing. 

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

This is somewhat correct. 

If the Redskins actually put the tag on Kirk - he cannot ride off anywhere. He is the property of the Washington Redskins regardless of he signs it or not. But they cannot trade him unless he signs the tag. But if they tag him, either the Redskins or a prospective new team has to pay the tag number. 

If he refuses to sign, they can either let him sit out or they could rescind the offer. At that point he becomes an unrestricted FA and can therefore sign with the team of his choice. But the decision would be the teams to either rescind the tag or make him either sign it or sit out. . 

The more likely outcome of all this is that they do not tag him and he becomes an unrestricted FA once the new season starts. 

Based on the rumors and what I  would do if I were him, I believe the rumors were true about Denver. But I believe it was just to make the Redskins think Kirk would agree to a sign and trade. He gets to hammer out a deal then tell the Redskins - sorry could not make it work. Then he signs with Denver day one of FA since they have a deal, but with no compensation to the Redskins. That Kirk knows where he is going, Denver gets their guy without using resources, and now that they have their man at QB, they can go about the rest of the team business. So it helps Denver and Kirk while making sure the Redskins get nothing. All legal and well within the rules. Kirk laughs all the way to the bank. 

The risk is that the Redskins could tag him. I was going to say they can't be that stupid - but well we know that's not true.  

@OVCChairman

Thank you goskins,.. it's all completely mind-boggling to try to pin down what is going to happen with everything that could happen... I'll just sit back watch it all unfold enjoy my new job and the adoption of two more children February 27th..yeehaaww..

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I agree, they should enjoy being relevant while we play make believe that one day we will be.

The Chiefs are a very comparable team to who the Skins are. Had we not had so many injuries we would've been in the playoff hunt. Grabbing Smith will allow us to draft a RB, defensive playmaker and grab a free agent WR and things are looking much better. How would you like to see these skill players in September: A. Smith, Reed, Doctson, Thompson, Jarvis Landry, Crowder, Davis, and a rookie RB like Ronald Jones or Guice? I could live with that while spending our 1st round pick on a defensive tackle, linebacker or safety.....That would give Smith and Gruden a lot to work with and it's not unreasonable to think it could happen.

I am ok with the firing Bruce angle even though I know Dan is the real problem and this is why.

We have heard a few comments from the media that one of the great strengths that Jay has brought to the organization is that he is able to navigate the toxic front office atmosphere and interpersonal politics and manages to bring some semblance of stability to the team.  Other coaches have either been too confrontational or have been railroaded but Jay seems to be able to persuade the team to make some adult decisions and not always shoot itself in the foot whilst staying on good terms with Dan.

I think getting rid of Bruce would give us a shot to find a GM that hopefully has the personal qualities needed to run the franchise properly and manage to do it in a way that allows Dan to feel like he is still calling all the shots even though he is in reality being directed by his GM.  Bruce is just too much of a yes man who is going to do whatever Dan wants regardless of how it impacts the state of the franchise.

10 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Thank you goskins,.. it's all completely mind-boggling to try to pin down what is going to happen with everything that could happen... I'll just sit back watch it all unfold enjoy my new job and the adoption of two more children February 27th..yeehaaww..

Congratulations bro - that sounds like you're having a great week. Good luck to you and your family.

6 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

The Chiefs are a very comparable team to who the Skins are. Had we not had so many injuries we would've been in the playoff hunt. Grabbing Smith will allow us to draft a RB, defensive playmaker and grab a free agent WR and things are looking much better. How would you like to see these skill players in September: A. Smith, Reed, Doctson, Thompson, Jarvis Landry, Crowder, Davis, and a rookie RB like Ronald Jones or Guice? I could live with that while spending our 1st round pick on a defensive tackle, linebacker or safety.....That would give Smith and Gruden a lot to work with and it's not unreasonable to think it could happen.

Brown is the beast we need to re-sign and someone to replace Fuller.  We need lineman O and D....and a new strength and conditioning coach who can cut down our injuries.

15 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

@OVCChairman - There are no guarantees they get a 3rd in compensation. It depends on who they sign and lose outside of losing Kirk and who plays how many games. They may get a 3rd, or they may not get a thing. 

but it's VERY likely we get one because of his 'value' in the market, and what his APY is going to be right?  

4 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

He is a competent QB. He is the epitome of OK. He is a downgrade at QB and what we gave up to get him weakens us. All because our FO is indeed incompetent.

Giving up Fuller weakens us but not getting Smith would also weaken us.  You can argue over who is better or worse when it comes to Cousins or Smith but with McCoy and Smith it is not even close.  Kirk was not coming back other than on another 1 year tag and so you go to plan B and I am fine with it.

I know some people advocate for rolling with McCoy and drafting a new QB but 1st round QBs are boom or bust and this years class looks like a whole lot of bust, particularly as we have no shot at the top prospects unless we want to give up 3 years of first rounders again and that gets a hell no from me. 

12 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I think its interesting that Denver offered a 2nd rounder and Talib for Smith and he decided not to go.

What I read yesterday that put it over the top for him agreeing to go to the Redskins was the 4 year extension.

I will summarize my take on the Cousins saga. After the 2015 season Cousins was seeking a deal which at the time was on the high side ($19 million per year) I agreed with the FO that the limited sample size of good QB play Cousins displayed in the second half of the season, the franchise tag was an acceptable compromise (we were both wrong on that call). After the 2016 season the front office had this idea that placing the exclusive franchise tag on him showed they were serious about finding a way to keep him here. Unfortunately, I believe, that made them lackadaisical  in their LTD offers, thinking they had plenty of time to negotiate with Cousins before July 15th. What they did not understand was, Cousins had already made up his mind that he was not interested in signing an LTD no matter what. Flash forward to this off-season and here we are. I hold both sides accountable.

5 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Did that happen? I thought that rumor had been debunked?

Cooley mentioned it on his show this morning, he didn't seem to think it was a rumor.

I don't know.

Just now, purbeast said:

What I read yesterday that put it over the top for him agreeing to go to the Redskins was the 4 year extension.

Supposedly Smith didn't like the fact Denver wanted to groom a rookie and they wanted a short-term deal.

We need the same thing, I can't imagine Smith is our Qb after 3 years.

What I am really interested about in this whole situation is how Jay Gruden feels about replacing Kirk with Alex Smith. Now obviously he is not going to come out and publicly praise the team for moving on from Kirk, but given the way that he would often times place extra blame on Kirk that we usually don't see happen elsewhere around the league, one's got to think that maybe he played more of a hand in moving on from Kirk than we think he did.  

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Cooley mentioned it on his show this morning, he didn't seem to think it was a rumor.

I don't know.

I don't know, either.

I thought i read somewhere that a source in Denver, while they didn't deny discussions with the Chiefs about Smith, they denied that Talib was part  of the  offer. 

52 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

They do get it, but Snyder can't be fired. He can only sell the team, or die.

And though I dearly love the Washington Redskins, and want them back in the Super Bowl,  I am not going to wish death on Snyder to get it.

So, folks are just going to go after the one that can be  fired, and that's Bruce Allen.

giphy.gif

I do think we can shame him mercilessly.  And that we should.  To force fundamental change or to get him to sell.  

We are wasting our breath about allen.  

1 minute ago, SkinsGuy said:

I don't know, either.

I thought i read somewhere that a source in Denver, while they didn't deny discussions with the Chiefs about Smith, they denied that Talib was part  of the  offer. 

It seems a bit odd, Smith cant possibly think we won't draft and start grooming a QB either this or next year.

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Supposedly Smith didn't like the fact Denver wanted to groom a rookie and they wanted a short-term deal.

We need the same thing, I can't imagine Smith is our Qb after 3 years.

I can.  He certainly has at least 3 or 4 years left in the tank and so we can roll with him for that long if needed.  I am not dead set against taking a QB this year but I believe picking at 13 any of the top tier guys will be long gone.  We need to take a guy in the later rounds and if someone like Falk is there then all the better but he would be a longer term project and could easily ride the pine for 3 years whilst we bring him on slowly.  Now we have the chance to take a couple of drafts, kick the tires on a few guys and maybe find someone we can fall in love with long term.  Without Smith I believe we are looking at either reaching at 13 or making a dumb trade to go up and try and grab someone like Mayfield who carries significant red flags.  We don't have the capital to get up enough for Darnold or Rosen without making a deal that would make the RGIII trade look like small beer.

Archived