Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

7 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Anybody else wearing out their ignore button with these idiotic Chiefs fans the past couple of days? And I thought Eagles fans were unbearable. 

Kirk wasn't going to stay unless he was tagged again, and that was just a very expensive bandaid.  He doesn't want to be a Redskin, we cannot change the past, so replacing him was the best move.  I cannot believe anyone believes he would stay.  I like Kirk, but I just don't feel like we let a Tom Brady walk.  Honestly, I'm looking forward to having someone else lead our team.  I'm sure the whole team was aware Kirk didn't want to stay, so I cannot imagine he was a leader in the locker room.  It's unfortunate about Fuller, but I disagree vehemently that Norman should have been traded.  Teams rarely threw to his side of the field the entire season.  

Also, I'm already bored to death with KC fans warning us what we will get in Smith.  It's ridiculous.  I'm certainly not joining the board of the team Kirk signs with because he's no longer a Redskin.  The advice, warnings, stats, videos, etc have made this thread virtually unreadable for me.  I don't give a **** what any other team's fans thinks of our acquisitions.

2 minutes ago, ShredSkins said:

I'm not sure about these KC/Alex Smith fans/haters showing up from KC and the 49ers. It feels like the past 2-3 years of the Cousins debates all over again. At least the Cousins debates were by us. Redskins fans.  

It's irritating as hell.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Again, the Redskins gave up all their leverage with the acquisition of Alex Smith.  No amount of ill will toward Kirk and his religion changes that very fact. 

You are pretty battered ain't ya?

4 minutes ago, ShredSkins said:

I'm not sure about these KC/Alex Smith fans/haters showing up from KC and the 49ers. It feels like the past 2-3 years of the Cousins debates all over again. At least the Cousins debates were by us. Redskins fans.  

For my part, I'm not going to argue with Chief fan, and will put bobba on ignore.  Hopefully he'll do the same to me.

@SkinsinparadiseI'm pretty much "meh" on the whole trade as well as the Smith vs Cousins thing. I honestly see them as about equal players. They both seem to have some of the same issues and same criticisms. I would have preferred to keep Kirk but the likely price tag I think was just too high and I really believe it is pretty apparent that he isn't very into staying here. It's probably even more apparent behind the scenes. Downside of Smith is his age and that he's a very careful QB who won't have the talent to throw to here that he had there (unless Reed is healthy and we get a very good FA WR or Doctson makes a leap) so it's hard to say how he'll adjust. Upside is he was cheaper, IMO is better at making off-schedule plays, and isn't as prone to boneheaded turnovers. 

To me it's basically a wash.

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

You are pretty battered ain't ya?

I've surpassed the battered phase.  I have clarity now that forces me to be realistic and logical when assessing all things Redskins.  I used to find ways to rock with what this team has been doing for quite some time.  After getting beaten into oblivion so many times, you move into battered fan syndrome.  But be forewarned, looking at this team with clarity is no more fun than it was believing the hype and taking the punches.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Funny I was just listening to a Chiefs sports radio guy who hopped on 106.7.  He says Alex Smith is a below average QB.  He fails in big moments.  He's not clutch.  He doesn't take enough chances.  He leaves too many plays on the field.  He will ensure mediocrity but nothing beyond that.

Funny, that exact description fits Kirk as well, imo

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I've surpassed the battered phase.  I have clarity now that forces me to be realistic and logical when assessing all things Redskins.  I used to find ways to rock with what this team has been doing for quite some time.  After getting beaten into oblivion so many times, you move into battered fan syndrome.  But be forewarned, looking at this team with clarity is no more fun than it was believing the hype and taking the punches.

Yea you gotta be realistic or they will crush you. It's just a game, after all. And it's not fun to lose forever. 

15 minutes ago, Temper11 said:

I'd encourage you to listen to the guys that are in the huddle with him and the coaches he's played for to get their perspectives as well.  

He's been traded twice by 2 different coaching staffs now, who both drafted replacements because he's not very good and is actually all of the things that antikirks said about KC the past couple years. Except he actually had talent around him at every position on offense.

At best he's Scott Brunell 2.0 but its actually going to be hilarious watching all these pro Alex trade guys turn on him after about 1/4 of the next season because he's just not the QB who will make the difference in any games. They could have signed Jason Campbell for nothing :rofl89:

Even with the Redskins injured players coming back next year 6-10 is the high end. So let's get excited! :headbang:

Maybe they'll sign all those players that they "couldn't have signed" if they had offered Cousins 23mil a year last year too so with a stacked offense we might get to 8-8. 

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

:rofl89:

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, what folks that watched every snap of the guy play for several years is completely irrelevant. HTTR baby!

It's ridiculous to come here and set off the warning bells.  Let Smith make his own mark....good, bad or indifferent on the REDSKINS before we shred him.  There are enough Redskin fans that keep up with other teams to contribute to the narrative.  I respect those views, but not ones from people trying to add fuel to the emotional fire, and have no investment in our team whatsoever.

4 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

He's been traded twice by 2 different coaching staffs now, who both drafted replacements because he's not very good and is actually all of the things that antikirks said about KC the past couple years. Except he actually had talent around him at every position on offense.

At best he's Scott Brunell 2.0 but its actually going to be hilarious watching all these pro Alex trade guys turn on him after about 1/4 of the next season because he's just not the QB who will make the difference in any games. They could have signed Jason Campbell for nothing :rofl89:

Even with the Redskins injured players coming back next year 6-10 is the high end. So let's get excited! :headbang:

Maybe they'll sign all those players that they "couldn't have signed" if they had offered Cousins 23mil a year last year too so with a stacked offense we might get to 8-8. 

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

:rofl89:

Bro - Cousins wasn’t signing here.  He had no intention of doing it.  Would you rather go into the season with Colt McCoy?

2 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Bro - Cousins wasn’t signing here.  He had no intention of doing it.  Would you rather go into the season with Colt McCoy?

yeah.  Best case scenario, go with colt, draft. Trade everyone everyone.  Hire a GM and a moneyball type guy, fire BA, get snyder a new 240 foot yacht with helipad let him play on it for the year, and let actual football people build a team.  Maybe even hire a good manager to run the non football aspects.  

13 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

"drafted replacements cause he's not very good."  Ehh... I'd say they drafted replacements because they thought the guy they drafted was their QBOTF.  Like I said, I'm not saying the guy is Elite - he's solid and dependable and can elevate his game at times.  I just like the dudes effort and attitude and want to see him succeed.

Chiefs Planet made similar predictions on the Chiefs record year after year.  Almost always fell short.  Until they just started complaining about being "1 and done" in the playoffs (which unfortunately proved to be true).  Here's to hoping Smith and the Skins can put it together.

I must come off as a huge Kirk hater but I really am not. The record has gotten nothing but worse since he has become the starter in 2015. I still am trying to find the reason why giving him his mega contract would help the team. It would but only hurt the team, imagine us fans if we paid him the richest contract ever and we go 8-8 next year. I guess I’m trying to look at the glass as half full with this trade. 

1 minute ago, Temper11 said:

"drafted replacements cause he's not very good."  Ehh... I'd say they drafted replacements because they thought the guy they drafted was their QBOTF.  Like I said, I'm not saying the guy the guy is Elite - he's solid and dependable and can elevate his game at times.  I just like the dudes effort and attitude and want to see him succeed.

Chiefs Planet made similar predictions on the Chiefs record year after year.  Almost always fell short.  Until they just started complaining about being "1 and done" in the playoffs (which unfortunately proved to be true).  Here's to hoping Smith and the Skins can put it together.

If you mean selling some Alex Smith jerseys, Dan Snyder can do that.  If you mean winning playoff games, likely not going to happen here. 

3 minutes ago, Cliffmark1 said:

yeah.  Best case scenario, go with colt, draft. Trade everyone everyone.  Hire a GM and a moneyball type guy, fire BA, get snyder a new 240 foot yacht with helipad let him play on it for the year, and let actual football people build a team.  Maybe even hire a good manager to run the non football aspects.  

/all future discussion

3 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

I must come off as a huge Kirk hater but I really am not. The record has gotten nothing but worse since he has become the starter in 2015. I still am trying to find the reason why giving him his mega contract would help the team. It would but only hurt the team, imagine us fans if we paid him the richest contract ever and we go 8-8 next year. I guess I’m trying to look at the glass as half full with this trade. 

I agree.  We didn't get to the playoffs with Kirk, so let's pay him more.  ?

2 hours ago, fwo40 said:

For the record I was fine with losing Kirk - it's the "not starting over lateral move" to Smith while having to pay a price of a talented player to do it that I'm against.

All that aside.  **** Cowherd.  A broken clock can be right twice a day let's not hold this guy up to be some intelligent football mind.  Which I believe was the gist behind the original poster's intent.

I actually agree with this: lateral move and we'll find a way to waste the savings on some other stupid idea.

I must admit, I am not emotionally tide to Cowherd whatsoever. If anyone says something reasonable, I listen. With that said,

I just took a look at NextGen Stats comparing Alex to Kirk. Alex does better in a few categories I find as an upgrade to Kirk. Of course, Alex had a higher passer rating and was more effective with the deep ball than Kirk. Another one was (and I didn't realize this) Kirk led the league in interceptions when facing pressure. Alex didn't throw a single interception when facing pressure. Alex was more mobile and effective than Kirk when plays broke down. Translation.....he made more plays in areas where Kirk just didn't seem comfortable. As a matter of opinion, Alex has more of an innate ability to make a play when the play breaks down where Kirk considers it a progression (which I don't agree with). You either have it or you don't. Otherwise you're thinking instead of playing. Kirk has been guilty of that in my eyes.

I don't think its a lateral move. I think we have an guy with more games under his belt, more swag, and more play making ability.  

2 hours ago, fwo40 said:

For the record I was fine with losing Kirk - it's the "not starting over lateral move" to Smith while having to pay a price of a talented player to do it that I'm against.

All that aside.  **** Cowherd.  A broken clock can be right twice a day let's not hold this guy up to be some intelligent football mind.  Which I believe was the gist behind the original poster's intent.

I actually agree with this: lateral move and we'll find a way to waste the savings on some other stupid idea.

I must admit, I am not emotionally tide to Cowherd whatsoever. If anyone says something reasonable, I listen. With that said,

I just took a look at NextGen Stats comparing Alex to Kirk. Alex does better in a few categories I find as an upgrade to Kirk. Of course, Alex had a higher passer rating and was more effective with the deep ball than Kirk. Another one was (and I didn't realize this) Kirk led the league in interceptions when facing pressure. Alex didn't throw a single interception when facing pressure. Alex was more mobile and effective than Kirk when plays broke down. Translation.....he made more plays in areas where Kirk just didn't seem comfortable. As a matter of opinion, Alex has more of an innate ability to make a play when the play breaks down where Kirk considers it a progression (which I don't agree with). You either have it or you don't. Otherwise you're thinking instead of playing. Kirk has been guilty of that in my eyes.

I don't think its a lateral move. I think we have an guy with more games under his belt, more swag, and more play making ability.  

Also for all the folks talking about Alex being with two teams that didn't want him - #poorlythoughtout 

1 hour ago, maxspruill21 said:

I still am trying to find the reason why giving him his mega contract would help the team. It would but only hurt the team, imagine us fans if we paid him the richest contract ever and we go 8-8 next year. 

Because the Redskins have chimpanzees running the team. 

Philly just got to the Superbowl after their franchise qb was lost for the season.

We'd have been 2-14 without KC.

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

he will absolutely need a running back and a defense, like everyone else that "kills it".

Kills it=8-8 on this team with Alex Smith.

There is absolutely no way that Bruce and Doofus Dan can put together the 2000 Ravens so Alex can win in the postseason for the Redskins.

Kirk had no plans to sign a long term deal here.  That seems abundantly clear.  He was clearly sucking the guaranteed franchise teet as long as possible and then hitting the market.  Thoughts of tagging and trading are wasted.   There's no leverage there.  Every team knows you aren't going to franchise him a 3rd year. No team was gonna give us anything for him.  We'll get a 3rd as a compensatory pick,  so the third we're giving is a wash.   Losing Fuller sucks,  but any team in need of a qb would have traded a player like him for Smith.   That's a no brainer, much as it sucks.    Running Colt out is a joke.  He's a backup.   Having Smith gives us the best chance to win of all the available QB options.  Nothing changes with the need to draft a QB to develop.  At our draft position,  that's what will be available unless we luck into that rare gem in the lower rounds that nobody expects to excel.    You have to remove any thoughts that signing Kirk was ever an option.  It was never gonna happen,  and not because the team didn't make reasonable offers.   The funny thing is, the team just set the Free agent QB market.  It will be interesting to see if any team will pony what KC is wanting, or if he'll be forced to take a lower offer. 

Archived