Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

56 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Look beyond the numbers. There were no opt outs in that initial offer. That is a non starter for major free agents these days. 

Also no reason for him to accept an offer that’s 33% below the “starting price” according to Boras when he was a month away from free agency. 

4 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

10 yr 300 mil and rejected? Kick stones as far as I’m concerned.

Thats a ripoff.  I wouldn't take a 10 year deal either.  He wants a deal to take him to 32/33 and another deal to 40/41.  AAV is only 30.  30 will be peanuts in 10 years. 

$300M over 10 years with no opt outs is a STRONG opening offer from the Nats. Let’s Boras and Bryce bothknow that they are not just making a token offer. That is a good start. Doesn’t alienate Bryce and make him feel like the team thinks he isn’t worth it. This is the way you handle a star making it to UFA. 

30 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

300 over 10 would have been a coup for us. No surprise he turned it down. A-Rod got, what, 250 over 10 back in 2001?

I can't see him accepting less than the 325mil Stanton if he goes for total contract

or less than Greinke's average of 35mil per on a shorter deal

Nats twitter is always filled with people criticizing Davey, over and over. I mean I'm far from sold on him, but damn I don't remember too many coaching blunders last year. I remember Murph and Eaton playing on one leg for the first half of the year. And Bryce forgetting how to hit for half the year. And our starting rotation banged up all year, save for Max.

6 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Nats twitter is always filled with people criticizing Davey, over and over. I mean I'm far from sold on him, but damn I don't remember too many coaching blunders last year. I remember Murph and Eaton playing on one leg for the first half of the year. And Bryce forgetting how to hit for half the year. And our starting rotation banged up all year, save for Max.

My biggest complaint is that there were multiple times when it appeared he wasnt up to the position.  He clearly mismanaged the bullpen, and he left his players out to dry many times when he should have at least argued on their behalf

Hopefully those specific issues are correctable, but the temperament thing sticks with me. Obviously we dont see him with the team behind closed doors, but every time I heard him speak, it just left alot to be desired. Goes back to the reports of the interview process keeping him from getting a job before now. 

11 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

If Harper takes less or doesn’t allow the Nats to match an offer, he better spend the rest of his career taking 90 mph fastballs to the back every game against the Nats. 

He isn't obligated to give the Nats any favors at this point.

I’m fairly comfortable with the idea that, with money being equal, Bryce would choose the Nats over any other option. 

I will never criticize a professional athlete for taking the most money on the table though. They’ve got a very limited window of their life where their earning potential is high, and they have the opportunity in some rare cases to solidify the financial future of their grandchildren and great grandchildren. 

Archived