Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

18 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

We aren’t even at the half way point. 

It’s not the record. It’s the way they are playing.  

It can can turn around. Lots of time to turn around.  But they’re not doing the small things well and typically when that happens they do t get better over night...

25 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Like...we should be able to beat teams with records over .400 right? This team is stacked with talent. This strikes me as hardcore underachieving.

In fairness, A LOT of the talent is on the DL or just coming off of it.  Murphy, Eaton, Strass, Zimmerman, along with about 10 other guys... 

To my eye, Harper and Roark are the two guys just ridiculously under-achieving who are healthy.  Might be missing somebody.  Gio was doing well but has slipped...

A bit of optimism from Boz. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/what-the-washington-nationals-can-learn-right-now-from-the-washington-capitals/2018/06/23/e8840a86-7714-11e8-805c-4b67019fcfe4_story.html?utm_term=.13cc46e6f43d

The Nats sure would like to know whether the first 75 games of their season are about bonding through endless aggravation, about discovering teenage phenom Juan Soto a month ago (and two years ahead of time) and trading for elite reliever Kelvin Herrera this week. Or is the whole thing a pain in the neck that ends with too many injuries or unfixable flaws, too big a deficit for too long, as in 2013 and 2015?

They — and we — don’t get to know. But for a town that has dripped pessimism for years, the Caps’ fortitude ought to allow for some optimism.

My view is that every current Nats problem will be — or at least in theory can be — solved just by time.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

In fairness, A LOT of the talent is on the DL or just coming off of it.  Murphy, Eaton, Strass, Zimmerman, along with about 10 other guys... 

To my eye, Harper and Roark are the two guys just ridiculously under-achieving who are healthy.  Might be missing somebody.  Gio was doing well but has slipped...

I feel like we were having these exact same conversations around the same time in 2015.

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Do the capitals have pursistent injury issues like the other big 4 teams have?  What is up with DC sports medical staffs?

This is always on my mind when its football and baseball season especially. Why do the team clubhouses in D.C. look like medic's tents at Antietam year after year? 

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Do the capitals have pursistent injury issues like the other big 4 teams have?  What is up with DC sports medical staffs?

Both Backstrom and Kuznetsov, two of our 5 best players, got hurt in the playoffs. Orpik played with a dangling finger. 

Difference is, Hockey players arent P-you know whats.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Both Backstrom and Kuznetsov, two of our 5 best players, got hurt in the playoffs. Orpik played with a dangling finger. 

Difference is, Hockey players arent P-you know whats.

Hurt and injured aren't same thing.  Teams I'm talking about their players stay injured, want to know why.

I think the team looks bad, but I'm not panicking yet.  They are 3 games out and have a lot of avenues for improvement.  Murphy will probably round into form.  Harper will eventually break out of the slump.  Strasburg will probably come back healthy.  The improved bullpen will start to pay dividends.  Rizzio could improve the catcher situation.  Roark we know is not this bad.  Adams, Zimmerman and Kinzler will come back.  They've been a bit of a comedy of errors so far, but it seems like they've been remarkably unlucky so far, are only 3 games out with more than half the season to go, and these things tend to even out over a long season.  

Between now and the break, they have 5 more games against the Phils, and after Boston, play 11 games in a row against sub .500 teams.  Over that stretch, the Braves get the first place Yankees. first place Brewers, and first place Diamondbacks along with StL (who are ok), 2 against Toronto and Cincy (last place but will be on a 7 game win streak going into that series if they win today). 

ugh. seems like every time I check the score of any nationals game, we're losing. we're down 2-0 right now. our record must be AWFUL in the past couple of weeks or so, i'd be surprised if we have more than like 3 or 4 wins and less than 10 losses...really need to get a win streak going and soon.

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

ugh. seems like every time I check the score of any nationals game, we're losing. we're down 2-0 right now. our record must be AWFUL in the past couple of weeks or so, i'd be surprised if we have more than like 3 or 4 wins and less than 10 losses...really need to get a win streak going and soon.

3-10 since the Gala.  

Archived