Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

3 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Depends on what they want to spend. They can do it if they want. It would look insane like some of the recent Yankees and Dodgers payrolls. But then again, say they finally break free of MASN and get their own local deal. That's more than enough annually to cover a Harper and probably a Rendon long-term plus some smaller deals. Tampa Bay with their awful rev gets like $80 annually from Foxsports down there. 

Well, I guess if they can spend more than they have been, they can have their cake and eat it too. I was assuming that they had a budget similar to what we've seen. 

Long-term point...I think I'd consider re-allocating what it would cost to sign Harper and hanging my hat on Eaton/Taylor/Robles/Soto in the outfield. Spread the rest of the money around...

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Well, I guess if they can spend more than they have been, they can have their cake and eat it too. I was assuming that they had a budget similar to what we've seen. 

Long-term point...I think I'd consider re-allocating what it would cost to sign Harper and hanging my hat on Eaton/Taylor/Robles/Soto in the outfield. Spread the rest of the money around...

We'll see. His value to the team is more than on the field as stupid as that sounds.

I think they will try their hardest to keep him. We'll see what other teams are willing to offer if it gets to that. Thought they were headed there with Stras and it never got there.

29 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

We'll see. His value to the team is more than on the field as stupid as that sounds.

I think they will try their hardest to keep him. We'll see what other teams are willing to offer if it gets to that. Thought they were headed there with Stras and it never got there.

Would make far more sense to pay $300m for Machado than Harper. I know you’re going to prefer paying your homegrown guys but Nats needs are elsewhere. This is a video game lineup but Nats could EASILY add Machado to backfill Murphy (move Trea to 2B) and flip Robles for Realmuto and have a lineup that rivals the Yanks/Astros for 2019-2020. 

It would probably make more sense to go with a cheaper option to backfill Murphy, like Dozier, LeMahieu, or even Josh Donaldson, then make sure you extend Rendon in the offseason as well. 

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Would make far more sense to pay $300m for Machado than Harper. I know you’re going to prefer paying your homegrown guys but Nats needs are elsewhere. This is a video game lineup but Nats could EASILY add Machado to backfill Murphy (move Trea to 2B) and flip Robles for Realmuto and have a lineup that rivals the Yanks/Astros for 2019-2020. 

It would probably make more sense to go with a cheaper option to backfill Murphy, like Dozier, LeMahieu, or even Josh Donaldson, then make sure you extend Rendon in the offseason as well. 

You lost me at "flip Robles...."

Just now, @SkinsGoldPants said:

You lost me at "flip Robles...."

You know, in my scenario Kieboom does become expendable. Kieboom plus one or two decently ranked pitching prospects may also be enough to acquire Realmuto (though the Marlins seemed pretty firm on their required return). 

Can't get on board with any scenario that includes both not signing Harp and trading Robles.  

I think it's getting more likely that Harper signs a much smaller, 2 year deal here and tries to put 2 legit seasons together, then takes a second crack at a colossal payday.  

4 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Robles is supposedly BETTER than Soto.  Let that sink in for a minute.

Eh, Robles was supposedly better than Soto, but that was before Soto was revealed to be a historically good 19 year old major league player.  

23 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Eh, Robles was supposedly better than Soto, but that was before Soto was revealed to be a historically good 19 year old major league player.  

I'm curious to find out if it's true.

1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

I'm curious to find out if it's true.

I am too, and I certainly hope it is.  I just don't think anyone should expect Robles to be Willie Mays just because, at one point, he was perceived to be better than Soto and Soto now looks all-world.  Soto is smashing expectations, and they should be adjusted accordingly.  

I agree with @TD_washingtonredskins above that moving forward with Robles/Soto/Eaton/MAT looks like a pretty strong option (although I would prefer they keep Harper if it's an economically responsible possibility). 

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I am too, and I certainly hope it is.  I just don't think anyone should expect Robles to be Willie Mays just because, at one point, he was perceived to be better than Soto and Soto now looks all-world.  Soto is smashing expectations, and they should be adjusted accordingly.  

I agree with @TD_washingtonredskins above that moving forward with Robles/Soto/Eaton/MAT looks like a pretty strong option (although I would prefer they keep Harper if it's an economically responsible possibility). 

Well we know he's a better fielder, anyway, and has more foot speed.  If he's anywhere close to Soto at the plate, at least from what we've seen, we're in for a treat.

Here's a bit of an update on Robles, and a good look at Carter Kieboom

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2018/06/25/hes-not-on-juan-sotos-pace-but-carter-kieboom-is-well-ahead-of-schedule/?utm_term=.bd434500e9df

The three players the Nationals traded to Kansas City — outfielder Blake Perkins, infielder Kelvin Gutierrez and young pitcher Yohanse Morel — might well turn out to be big leaguers some day. But they are not the highly touted, much talked-about trio of Juan Soto, Victor Robles and Carter Kieboom, nor the next-wave duo of Luis Garcia and Yasel Antuna. When asked the night of the Herrera deal if Kieboom was in the swap, one Nationals executive said, “No way.” A few days later, the 20-year-old shortstop was promoted to Class AA Harrisburg.

Kieboom doesn’t get the same fanfare as Robles and, of course, Soto. But the Nationals’ 2016 first-rounder has risen through the system more quickly than most. Soto has redefined “quickly” in this organization. No one should apply his pace as a rubric to even the most touted youngsters. He was hitting .298 at the time of his ascension from Class A Potomac, a remarkable statistic given he started the season by hitting .198 in April. He hit .391 in May and .327 there in June before the promotion, homering seven times in 37 games in that stretch. Kieboom homered nine times all of last season, his first full professional season, though it was truncated by injury.

Still, Kieboom’s rise leaves him well ahead of schedule, and now at the level from which Mike Rizzo has a history of plucking top talent (see: Soto, Juan) to fill major league needs. Kieboom probably isn’t at that point yet, though he is off to a strong start for the Senators with a .350 average, two doubles and a homer in four games. Double-A is the level at which pitching makes a dramatic leap, where pitchers can suddenly land breaking balls for strikes consistently, and where many organizations station their top young talent. Kieboom will be tested. But while Soto’s remarkable run will make any prospect’s progress slow by comparison, Kieboom is moving quickly — quickly enough to move into the realm of the untouchable, at least for any kind of rental deal like the one the Nationals made for Herrera.

Robles posted videos of himself on his private Instagram account, videos in which he is hitting in the cages in West Palm Beach, apparently uninhibited by that left elbow. What exactly that means for his timetable remains to be seen, and the 20-year-old probably maintains a little less caution than those banking the future of their outfield on him. But that he is hitting marks progress, as Robles was in a full arm brace for much of the first month or so after the injury.

Just now, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Man, every starter has struggled lately. Even Max. 

Agree.  The early season pitch count has killed Gio and Tanner's arm. Davey has done a terrible job managing the bullpen despite allowing the starters to pitch over 100+ pitchs.  Its usually one or the other but its both for this team

2 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

So much for that 'get right' game last night.

They are who we thought they were.

Honestly, I wasn’t expecting much tonight. They played a long, rain-delayed, late ending game last night and didn’t get into Tampa until 5:30 this morning. They were primed for a stinker. 

Archived