Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

Roark is cooked. His June ERA is now 7.04. Another DL stint? Hellickson should be back soon, so maybe they can change places. Fedde or Rodriguez need to step up, or we can get red hot in the 2nd half and it won't matter. This team is falling apart at the seams right now.

Strasburg post-DL stints is usually best-pitcher-in-baseball level good. Last year, he came back from a DL stint to have a 23-inning scoreless streak and a 0.84 ERA. The others coming back are no guarantee of success.

With Robles hitting off the tee, he'll probably be back in a couple of weeks, in AAA. Assuming he takes off, it's another OFer to our glut. I have a feeling MATs not long for this team, unfortunately. I really love offensively-useful MAT.

Halfway hoping we’re like 10 games back by the trade deadline so we can float Harper for an unreasonable price. See if we can land a top prospect for a half season rental. 

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

With Robles hitting off the tee, he'll probably be back in a couple of weeks, in AAA. Assuming he takes off, it's another OFer to our glut. I have a feeling MATs not long for this team, unfortunately. I really love offensively-useful MAT.

I like MAT enough that I’d absolutely consider moving Robles for Realmuto. He’s so good defensively, and if you have him plugged in toward the bottom of your lineup he’s more than adequate offensively given his defensive prowess. Soto-MAT-Eaton with Goodwin as your swing outfielder would be just fine, especially if you get 2.5 seasons of all star caliber catching for moving Robles.

20 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I like MAT enough that I’d absolutely consider moving Robles for Realmuto.

Rizzo was on MLB Radio and said he's still not moving Robles or Soto for Realmuto. I think someone like Fransisco Cervelli is a more likely target. I'd also look into J.A. Happ with the Blue Jays, who is having a great year.

The biggest difference between this year and 2015 is the Lerner's willingness to take on payroll (which might be Mark Lerner's influence over his Dad). We've already added $4.4m in Herrera--I still think we'll add another significant piece. I do think that Rizzo will stay with returning injured players like Zimm, Wieters, Murphy, and Adams over adding to the lineup.

3 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

The Nats are in trouble... the offense has been putrid for a majority of the season and I'm not feeling confident in the "switch" being flipped anymore.

we are 3.0 games with tons of problems.  Atlanta is losing another game to the Orioles.  Of course the offense will be suck this early, who is healthy?

Not sure why the strike zone is a mile wide and high for Nola and postage stamp size for Fedde. 4 strikes to Santana without a punch out. Bryce takes a strike in the left handed batter’s box. Eaton takes a strike chin high. ****ing be consistent. 

5 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Welp. I've moved from "they'll turn it on soon" to "ok, I'm worried now." 

Intangibles and basics. Blah. 

This team would truly benefit from just getting away for the all star break. 

Unfortunately with the game here, a lot of folks won’t get the break they need...

52 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This team would truly benefit from just getting away for the all star break. 

Unfortunately with the game here, a lot of folks won’t get the break they need...

Thankfully ATL lost today. 

I don't know what a fix is here. Get MAT in more for defense and he's hitting better than Eaton? Dump Long and Dillon for new hitting coaches? Do they trade for bat? 

2 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Thankfully ATL lost today. 

I don't know what a fix is here. Get MAT in more for defense and he's hitting better than Eaton? Dump Long and Dillon for new hitting coaches? Do they trade for bat? 

I think the real fix might just be the 2019 season.  It just might not be their year.

Then again, if Zim comes back and is productive, Harper breaks his slump, Strasbourg comes back and pitches well.... they could also rattle off 10-12 wins in a row and be leading the division by a couple games over a 2 week span in August.  

But it just doesn’t seem like this is their year.  

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think the real fix might just be the 2019 season.  It just might not be their year.

Then again, if Zim comes back and is productive, Harper breaks his slump, Strasbourg comes back and pitches well.... they could also rattle off 10-12 wins in a row and be leading the division by a couple games over a 2 week span in August.  

But it just doesn’t seem like this is their year.  

The talent is there is win the division. But they need to tighten up a little and fast. 

Archived