Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

59 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Replace the team with minor league players and get it over with. 

The Window is wiiiiide open, gang. 

I'm actually leaning to the Let Bryce Walk, Re-sign Rendon school of thought. Soto looks legit, Kieboom is probably Murphy's replacement, we have Robles, Eaton, Taylor, and Soto as OFers. Rendon is the better all-around player. He's not the hitter Bryce is (when he's on), but he's a MUCH better fielder at a premium defensive position (he's a top 2-3 defensive third baseman) with no ready replacement in the minors.

13 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm actually leaning to the Let Bryce Walk, Re-sign Rendon school of thought. Soto looks legit, Kieboom is probably Murphy's replacement, we have Robles, Eaton, Taylor, and Soto as OFers. Rendon is the better all-around player. He's not the hitter Bryce is (when he's on), but he's a MUCH better fielder at a premium defensive position (he's a top 2-3 defensive third baseman) with no ready replacement in the minors.

Outside perspective here....

You guys would be nuts to pay $300M for Bryce given the depth you have. I posted last week that I would wish there was a way you could trade him to an AL contender for a haul in July. "Unfortunately" a team likely to win the division just can't do that. But man, with Robles looking like the SECOND BEST OF prospect you guys have...why pay so much for someone? 

I am jealous...I really wish I was able to change my loyalties back in 2004/2005 when the Nats came to town. 

30 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I am jealous...I really wish I was able to change my loyalties back in 2004/2005 when the Nats came to town. 

Come on in. We'll welcome you with open arms.  It's a big tent.

circus-big-top-tent-3084794.jpg

@Dan T.

Honestly I'd love to and I tried to back when the Nats came to town. I was excited when I heard that Montreal was re-locating and I actually thought I'd pretty easily shift from the O's (who hadn't been relevant in 6-7 years) to the more local team. Early in their inaugural year I even forced myself to watch them instead of the Orioles. 

But a funny thing happened...I couldn't make myself care about Livan Hernandez, Brian Schneider, or Ryan Church. I loved my crappy O's. So, after a couple weeks I decided I should just follow the team that I had been following since the mid-80s. I was slightly rewarded over the past 4-5 years but that feels like it was an eternity ago and now I'm resigned to simply rooting for great trades in about a month and waiting from Redskins training camp. 

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@Dan T.

Honestly I'd love to and I tried to back when the Nats came to town. I was excited when I heard that Montreal was re-locating and I actually thought I'd pretty easily shift from the O's (who hadn't been relevant in 6-7 years) to the more local team. Early in their inaugural year I even forced myself to watch them instead of the Orioles. 

But a funny thing happened...I couldn't make myself care about Livan Hernandez, Brian Schneider, or Ryan Church. I loved my crappy O's. So, after a couple weeks I decided I should just follow the team that I had been following since the mid-80s. I was slightly rewarded over the past 4-5 years but that feels like it was an eternity ago and now I'm resigned to simply rooting for great trades in about a month and waiting from Redskins training camp. 

Nothing wrong with that. Love your team. Foul Weather Fans are the best kind.

I grew up in MoCo during the Skins glory days. The O's were a team in another town to me. Maybe one O's game a year through summer day camp. That's it. In college going to Western PA, went to more Pirates games in 2 years than O's games in 2 decades.....and THEY/Three Rivers were both awful. 

I'll admit that I wasn't really a baseball fan until Washington got a team. Took years of watching a lot of really bad Nats teams to learn how the game works.

Now it feels like they've been here much longer than they have. 

9 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@Dan T.

sad-clown.jpg

--

I get it though.  You're a loyal fan.  With any luck you'll be rewarded for your patience.

59 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@Dan T.

Much respect to you. I didn't have loyalties to the O's before the Expos moved so I immediately hitched a ride with the new team. 

The only grudge I really have with the Orioles (apart from the geographic rivalry) is with Peter Angelos but from what I understand, y'all hate him at least as much. 

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

It's never too late...

kGD4qyDTPTvG-6CDJi_NbKg5E-Q=.gif

In all seriousness--I'll never criticize someone for who they root for (unless they're a really douchey, fair-weather douchebag who doesn't know **** about their team, and just wants to talk ****--think your standard Cowboys, Yankees type fans.) I jumped ship from the Mets (Thank God! Best decision I've ever made, bar none--and I'm happily married and have 2 wonderful little girls) on September 29, 2004, and have never looked back--and that includes the Mets' NLCS appearance just over 2 years later. The heart wants what the heart wants.

2 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I'll admit that I wasn't really a baseball fan until Washington got a team. Took years of watching a lot of really bad Nats teams to learn how the game works.

What kept me going was the idea that they were going to build it the right way. Granted we had Bowden as GM so that was dicey at best--but when they brought in Mike Rizzo as scouting director in 2007, I knew he would be the next GM. They have continued to build internally, primarily--draft and smart trades--supplementing with smart FA signings like Max Scherzer and Daniel Murphy

32 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

What kept me going was the idea that they were going to build it the right way. Granted we had Bowden as GM so that was dicey at best--but when they brought in Mike Rizzo as scouting director in 2007, I knew he would be the next GM. They have continued to build internally, primarily--draft and smart trades--supplementing with smart FA signings like Max Scherzer and Daniel Murphy

I honestly didn't know if they were doing it right. All I knew is they had the worst farm system in MLB when they moved here. From reading the Post and other blogs, it sounded like Kastan was focused on that for years. It's paying off. Watching a lot of games and learning what to do in various situations, I got hooked. 

I'm an admitted prospect-o-phile. I have loved seeing all of the in-house developed talent come through the Nats' system over the years. Starting wth Zimmerman, and then Zimmermann, the Original Strasmas, Ian Desmond blowing up in 2012, Danny Espinsosa to a much lesser extent, Ramos, Bryce's Debut in LA, Rendon, MAT, Turner, and now the next wave in Soto, Robles, Fedde, Jefry Rodriguez, Carter Kieboom...

And Stan Kasten, and selling tickets to Phillies fans before Nats fans for Opening Day in 2010, can go **** himself. 

One thing that really helped the new Nats franchise take hold in DC that first year was a magical first half of the season.  If I'm remembering it right, they were actually flirting with first place leading up to the All-Star break.  They showed how fun it could be rooting for a competitive team. 

Of course, they went into the toilet the second half.  But the seed was sown.

Archived