Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

Biggest concern is got swept by ****ty Toronto, lost two of three to ****ty San Fran, had to come back from 5-1 to beat the really ****ty Orioles, and then were shut out by the completely ****ty Orioles. We can't even beat ****ty teams.

29 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Biggest concern is got swept by ****ty Toronto, lost two of three to ****ty San Fran, had to come back from 5-1 to beat the really ****ty Orioles, and then were shut out by the completely ****ty Orioles. We can't even beat ****ty teams.

Well, even if you're not playing well you'll most likely right the ship a bit. Who cares if you needed to overcome an early deficit in game 1, you won. And with Max throwing against this O's lineup, it might be a 20K performance and will likely be a series win. Keep winning series and you'll be fine. Philly will fade and then you just need to win some head-to-heads with Atlanta. 

10 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Well, even if you're not playing well you'll most likely right the ship a bit. Who cares if you needed to overcome an early deficit in game 1, you won. And with Max throwing against this O's lineup, it might be a 20K performance and will likely be a series win. Keep winning series and you'll be fine. Philly will fade and then you just need to win some head-to-heads with Atlanta. 

31 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Because they are one ?

This is a deeply flawed team--get past Max and the pitching staff has been mediocre. The bullpen has been okay, but past Doolittle and Herrera, and who do you implicitly trust? Miller has given up runs in three consecutive outings now, striking out one batter, and giving up 6 hits, 2 walks. Madson hadn't given up a home run in a year--gave up 2 on consecutive pitches. He's been far, far to hittable this year 10.6 H/9. Solis is hot and cold. Kelley is a gopher ball waiting to happen.

The offense has been atrocious. Murphy is a shell of himself, he's hit maybe balls hard. Soto has been amazing--but you have to wonder if he cools off when the league adjusts to him (it happens to just about everyone not named Mike Trout). Rendon is getting hot. Trea is better in the 6th slot. Eaton has been good. Taylor has been hitting.

The biggest problem is our biggest "superstar." Wilmer Difo has a higher bWar than Bryce Harper. I am beginning to wonder if Bryce ever gets going. I am more frustrated with him than I have ever been with any Nats player. He cannot field and cannot hit. He has a .424 in June. OPS. Not SLG. OPS. Chris Davis' OPS is .454.

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Pretty much, yep. This is a deeply flawed team--get past Max and the pitching staff has been mediocre. The bullpen has been okay, but past Doolittle and Herrera, and who do you implicitly trust? Miller has given up runs in three consecutive outings now, striking out one batter, and giving up 6 hits, 2 walks. Madson hadn't given up a home run in a year--gave up 2 on consecutive pitches. He's been far, far to hittable this year 10.6 H/9. Solis is hot and cold. Kelley is a gopher ball waiting to happen.

The offense has been atrocious. Murphy is a shell of himself, he's hit maybe balls hard. Soto has been amazing--but you have to wonder if he cools off when the league adjusts to him (it happens to just about everyone not named Mike Trout). Rendon is getting hot. Trea is better in the 6th slot. Eaton has been good. Taylor has been hitting.

The biggest problem is our biggest "superstar." Wilmer Difo has a higher bWar than Bryce Harper. I am beginning to wonder if Bryce ever gets going. I am more frustrated with him than I have ever been with any Nats player. He cannot field and cannot hit. He has a .424 in June. OPS. Not SLG. OPS. Chris Davis' OPS is .454.

Really gonna be hard for him at this point, seeing what Trout is doing. Seems like so long ago in 2015 when I was convinced he was going to surpass Trout, at least at the plate.

Now, it's like an ominous feeling every time I see him head up there from the batter's box, like you know something bad is about to happen and no one can stop it.

Honestly not sure what the holdup is, but I think time off is something that has to be done. 

The pitching is perfectly good. Obviously there are a couple SPs out, throwing off the rotation, but it's good enough to win the majority of the time. A pretty good bullpen just got better too. 

90% of the offense is either injured, coming off injury or playing miles below their career numbers. You don't win games when you're at or near the bottom of the league in most offensive categories. Our lack of success pretty much comes down to not being able to drive in runs, with a fluke subpar pitching performance happening every now and again. 

Sit Bryce for a while and then drop him down to 6 or so until we're sure he's heated back up. We don't have a 3-4 spot to waste on players batting near the Mendoza line. This is ridiculous. 

23 minutes ago, Bacon said:

The pitching is perfectly good. Obviously there are a couple SPs out, throwing off the rotation, but it's good enough to win the majority of the time. A pretty good bullpen just got better too. 

90% of the offense is either injured, coming off injury or playing miles below their career numbers. You don't win games when you're at or near the bottom of the league in most offensive categories. Our lack of success pretty much comes down to not being able to drive in runs, with a fluke subpar pitching performance happening every now and again. 

Sit Bryce for a while and then drop him down to 6 or so until we're sure he's heated back up. We don't have a 3-4 spot to waste on players batting near the Mendoza line. This is ridiculous. 

Bingo. Even the greatest pitching staffs had their weak spots (two of the starting pitchers on the '95 Braves had ERAs over 4) but you need to pick up the slack on offense and the Nats aren't doing that consistently enough to win games that they should be winning. I feel like it's not "cool" to be concerned about the Nats right now despite their marquee player batting under .210, the clubhouse is looking like a M*A*S*H unit, and the team getting shut out 6 times thus far this season.

For reference: the last two National League pennant winners were shut out 8 and 6 times all season. Yes, it's most important to get hot toward the end of the season - teams can be mediocre through the season and catch fire at the end (i.e. 2015 Mets) but this doesn't seem like the way champions play throughout the season. And I suspect we're not content with another division championship banner and a gut-wrenching loss in the NLDS, yes? 

18 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

For reference: the last two National League pennant winners were shut out 8 and 6 times all season. Yes, it's most important to get hot toward the end of the season - teams can be mediocre through the season and catch fire at the end (i.e. 2015 Mets) but this doesn't seem like the way champions play throughout the season. And I suspect we're not content with another division championship banner and a gut-wrenching loss in the NLDS, yes? 

Again, it's easy for me to look at this objectively since my team sits about 30 games under .500. But, if the hockey season proved anything it's that a talented team simply needs to qualify for the post-season. I'm not saying that just because the Caps followed up an OK regular season with a great playoff run that doing that becomes something to strive for, however the Nats are a candidate to start clicking in October. 

Granted, for once it looks like they'll need to scratch and claw their way to get there - at least until the Braves or Phillies begin to fade. But if they do...with Scherzer and the playoff experience in the lineup, I wouldn't want to face them. 

On 6/20/2018 at 10:15 AM, skinsfan_1215 said:

Carter Kieboom is gonna earn himself a promotion before my PNats game in 2.5 weeks. :-/ 

Just waiting for that announcement. 

13 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Cup of coffee in September

Le sigh....

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

But, if the hockey season

16 playoff spots in NHL for 31 teams--more than half the league. 8 spots for 30 teams in MLB, less than one third (I do not count the Wild Card game as playoffs--it's the play-in game).

Much easier to make the playoffs in hockey.

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

16 playoff spots in NHL for 31 teams--more than half the league. 8 spots for 30 teams in MLB, less than one third (I do not count the Wild Card game as playoffs--it's the play-in game).

Much easier to make the playoffs in hockey.

I acknowledged that and it wasn't my point...my point was they just need to get in. Of course, that's not a foregone conclusion but it's also nothing even close to a long-shot. 

11 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Again, it's easy for me to look at this objectively since my team sits about 30 games under .500. But, if the hockey season proved anything it's that a talented team simply needs to qualify for the post-season. I'm not saying that just because the Caps followed up an OK regular season with a great playoff run that doing that becomes something to strive for, however the Nats are a candidate to start clicking in October. 

Granted, for once it looks like they'll need to scratch and claw their way to get there - at least until the Braves or Phillies begin to fade. But if they do...with Scherzer and the playoff experience in the lineup, I wouldn't want to face them. 

I'm not disagreeing with you at all - I could even see the Nats making it as a wildcard being a positive for them in the long run. What I'm concerned about is this team not even qualifying for the playoffs at all. The Caps still won their division and by a relatively healthy margin. If the Nats keep this up, that might not be a given, especially if the National League remains this competitive into September. We may be the ones on the outside looking in while the Phillies and Braves get to go to the dance. 

Once again - long season, I know, and there's a history of teams having a "meh" start before catching fire after the All Star Break - but sometimes that doesn't happen and for this team to underachieve, especially with the talent they have, would be a real shame. 

@thebluefood Makes sense and I'm with you that this year, for the first time in a couple, might include a wire-to-wire race for the Nats. But, even that might be a good thing if they get in (and still do think they are the most likely team to come out of the East). Hell, you could make the case that clinching in July (exaggerating) the past couple years wasn't a great model for them. 

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@thebluefood Makes sense and I'm with you that this year, for the first time in a couple, might include a wire-to-wire race for the Nats. But, even that might be a good thing if they get in (and still do think they are the most likely team to come out of the East). Hell, you could make the case that clinching in July (exaggerating) the past couple years wasn't a great model for them. 

That's been something I've been taking to heart this season. Some teams ('98 Yankees, '70 Orioles, '29 A's) are just so good that they can't help but glide through the season and win the championship. But those teams are rare and era defining. Most teams - indeed, most competitors - need a little extra adversity to get them over the hump. Even in professional bowling (yes, it's still around), the tournament leader going into the final day doesn't win as often as you'd think unless they are absolutely tearing up the tour that season.

Same seems to go with team sports. It's why I could never be a professional athlete (that and being an asthmatic, chubby, and slow as hell) - I'm not driven the way they are by adversity. They seem to thrive on it. 

Bryce Harper's 1st 17 Games: .315/.487/.778

Last 54 Games: .181/.301/.377

Can he get hot? Maybe. Given Neil Greenberg's extensive analysis of all of his contact issues tells me it's not coming anytime soon.

7 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Same seems to go with team sports. It's why I could never be a professional athlete (that and being an asthmatic, chubby, and slow as hell) - I'm not driven the way they are by adversity. They seem to thrive on it. 

I'd definitely end up like Drew Storen or Hunter Strickland.

All the more reason to let him sit a few days, maybe get checked out by a doctor, and maybe even work out any mental hangups he might be dealing with right now.

I want the man to get paid next year, either by the Nats or elsewhere (preferably in the American League) but he ain't getting that big pay day if he keeps this up - at least not as big as it could be. 

Archived