Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

I know batting average isn't as important a statistic as it used to be and isn't always the best indicator of a player's performance but like - .212 cannot be good, no matter how you look at it. There is nothing good that can be mined from a .212 batting average, especially if you're a team's marquee player in his contract year. 

Went down swinging that last inning.  But Davey looking the same age as Harper is why I think even with our young talent that's one out of nowhere a year, I don't think they are developing correctly.  Rizzo is an excellent talent collector, but the closest we ever got to someone maximizing our talent was riggleman and he didn't trust him to take us over the top.  Someone needs to talk to Harper, I don't know if that person is in that building 

A little confused as to why MAT sat all day today. He was our best player in the TOR series. Just give Bryce then entire BAL series off. Don't even come to the ballpark. He needs a complete and total reset. Pointless interleague series against a last place team a good time to do it.

I don't know if I should be glad or alarmed that Bryce Harper appears completely calm through all of this.  He strikes out at key moments and simply bends over, removes his protective gear, and walks back to the dugout without the least look of frustration or anger. 

On one hand you can argue he's showing maturity and growth beyond his hot-headed youth.  Raging and breaking things don't end slumps, right?

On the other hand, it's hard not to wonder if he is checked out, resigned to knowing he's a short-termer here, upstaged by the latest 19-year old phenom and just playing out the string.  I see no joy in his game, and saw none, really, even before the depths of this slump.  That concerns me.

As for the low batting average... he's likely going to be voted into the All-Star game this year based on past reputation and name recognition among casual fans. He's going to be embarrassed when his stats flash up and his batting average is below his playing weight.

16 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I don't know if I should be glad or alarmed that Bryce Harper appears completely calm through all of this.  He strikes out at key moments and simply bends over, removes his protective gear, and walks back to the dugout without the least look of frustration or anger. 

On one hand you can argue he's showing maturity and growth beyond his hot-headed youth.  Raging and breaking things don't end slumps, right?

On the other hand, it's hard not to wonder if he is checked out, resigned to knowing he's a short-termer here, upstaged by the latest 19-year old phenom and just playing out the string.  I see no joy in his game, and saw none, really, even before the depths of this slump.  That concerns me.

As for the low batting average... he's likely going to be voted into the All-Star game this year based on past reputation and name recognition among casual fans. He's going to be embarrassed when his stats flash up and his batting average is below his playing weight.

I honestly believe its more likely to be 2 than 1. He doesn't exactly have a track record or history of showing maturity. I wouldn't say he's completely checked out, but more like "meh, I'm still getting paid, so whatever."

But I can't imagine he'll hit for this low of an average all year. At some point he's gotta get hot and string a bunch of 3 for 4 games together.

21 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I honestly believe its more likely to be 2 than 1. He doesn't exactly have a track record or history of showing maturity. I wouldn't say he's completely checked out, but more like "meh, I'm still getting paid, so whatever."

But I can't imagine he'll hit for this low of an average all year. At some point he's gotta get hot and string a bunch of 3 for 4 games together.

This might be the biggest factor in our race for the division pennant, especially if the Phillies and Braves keep up the pace. If Bryce can get it together after the All-Star Break, it's ours for the taking and have an awfully good chance at finally getting over the postseason hump. If not - well, the good news is the window seems to be bigger than expected and we've got an absolutely stacked outfield and bullpen. I want this team to win and I'll be disappointed if they underachieve but the more I think about it, the less upset I am at the prospect of a ho-hum season for the Nats this year and I'm gonna just enjoy the good stuff.

Now, having said that - still plenty of baseball still to be played and they can always turn this around. But if they don't? I think we'll be okay. 

Archived