Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

29 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

To me its simple. Everything comes down to numbers. Not enough spots for McPhee and Hankins unless they are going to cut two players, and not enough money to sign both guys.

Said it this weekend once the rumor started that McPhee was joining the team. Hankins is gone, forgetaboutit. No way in hell they sign Hankins and McPhee. It was one or the other all along.

Waiting for JP to answer. But I think there is plenty there. 

11 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Nah, there are other options.  Lot's of good stuff out there on Tim Settle, BJ Hill and Foley Fatusaki that are later round picks.  They'll figure the position out.

I wish I can say I haven't heard the hey they will figure this out line before.  For me that's why it feels hollow to me until they finally get it right.  It's been a long time waiting.

Haven't said that, Finlay didn't say Hankins isn't coming.  He just said he doesn't have a good feeling about it.  I guess you got Bennie Logan floating out there too -- though tough for me to get excited about him, though.

Craig Hoffman was asked today on twitter does he get a sense they are boxed into Vea or Payne at #13 if they don't sign Hankins.  His answer more or less was "yes".

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wish I can say I haven't heard the hey they will figure this out line before.  For me that's why it feels hollow to me until they finally get it right.  It's been a long time waiting.

Haven't said that, Finlay didn't say Hankins isn't coming.  He just said he doesn't have a good feeling about it.  I guess you got Bennie Logan floating out there too -- though tough for me to get excited about him, though.

Craig Hoffman was asked today on twitter does he get a sense they are boxed into Vea or Payne at #13 if they don't sign Hankins.  His answer more or less was "yes".

This isn't directed at you but I just think people get too wrapped up about 1 player, that's all.  I'd rather go draft with NT and save our money for pending FA's next year.  Hankins was drafted in the 2nd round so there will be options out there.

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

This isn't directed at you but I just think people get too wrapped up about 1 player, that's all.  I'd rather go draft with NT and save our money for pending FA's next year.  Hankins was drafted in the 2nd round so there will be options out there.

Watched film on Tim Settle.  The guy reminds me of a poor man's Warren Sapp.  People who haven't seen his videos should check them out.  He's very good, IMO. :)

Good signing (I guess ;)). That means Gallette is probably really gone.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Jeez, throughout all this McPhee chatter, perhaps it was my lack of excitement but I never even put two and two together that we were getting another 'Mc' on the D-line.  :ols:

Two and Two?

Does that mean we have FOUR Mcs on the d-line? :) 

I hope that McPhee has more of an impact than his McBrothers in McGee and McClain.  

I didn't know that Bruce Allen was Scottish.  

I also hope to God that these second-tier guys actually pan out, the guys who were hurt are healthy and produce, because it seems as though Bruce and company are betting the farm that they have a team that can compete already in place, due to the fact they haven't done a heck of a lot in FA to significantly upgrade the roster.  

46 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I agree if he was the only D lineman available this off season.  But Hankins just happens to be the last man standing.  I guess maybe Logan is still an optiion if he has a bounce back year.

My best analogy to this is the narrative around nose tackle position has been an action movie in reverse -- James Bond will end up getting the bad guy, you just got to sit through the trials and tribulations and wait for him to pull through.   On nose, we hear the story every year and it doesn't in the end work out and we are explaining why they can't stop the run. 

The nose tackle narrative has often been it doesn't look that hot now but watch them pull a rabbit out of a hat. So chill.  I can cite the narratives each year.  I can remember them well.  Last year it was Tomsula can make a nose tackle out of thin air -- just get out of his way and let him do his magic.  The year before that is maybe Ionnaidis develops into that guy.   I guess Knighton was sort of an attempt at it the year before that -- they got him cheap but he didn't have much left.

Having said that, if they don't sign Hankins and they go D line in the first and 2nd.  That works.  I am familiar with the D line prospects but I don't want to turn this into the draft thread.    I just don't see that as a given if they are determined to go running back early coupled with the odds are good that a prime safety or cornerback falls to them at 13.   If Fitzpatrick falls for example -- I can't see them saying sorry, we got to take Payne instead.   Then you got the 2nd rounder where they seem determined to take a RB.  Maybe they back off of that.  So either RB or nose lose out? 

So yeah I am hoping this off season for a change we don't have the lets not worry about the nose narrative -- it will work out.  Been there and done that many times.

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I hope that McPhee has more of an impact than his McBrothers in McGee and McClain.  

He is a WAY more established player than either of those guys. I love this signing. It gives us so many more options on passing downs. Smith can now be moved down to DE. We now have the ability to run either 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 nickle packages. 

The Redskins hosted free agent defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins last week, and while many fans desperately wait for a signing, it doesn’t appear that will happen, according to a league source.

“I don’t see it,” the source said.

Hankins could help the Redskins in an area of need. The team finished dead last against the run in 2017, while Hankins posted a +21.7 run defense grade according to Pro Football Focus.

Without Hankins or a different free agent addition, it appears the Redskins will roll into the 2018 NFL Draft with the same defensive line they played with in 2017.

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm sure there is, probably like McCheap or something like that.

Jay responds, just kidding.

But while outside perception may be that the organization is being too frugal for its own good, Coach Jay Gruden has another word for Washington’s offseason approach.

“Cheap? How about selective?” he said in an interview Tuesday at the annual league meeting. “Because we’re not cheap.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2015/03/12/redskins-sign-terrance-pot-roast-knighton-to-further-upgrade-d-line/?utm_term=.0d8ccd3b98cd

16 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I also hope to God that these second-tier guys actually pan out, the guys who were hurt are healthy and produce, because it seems as though Bruce and company are betting the farm that they have a team that can compete already in place, due to the fact they haven't done a heck of a lot in FA to significantly upgrade the roster.  

Grant Paulsen goes to Craig Hoffman today the vibe I get and do you get the same vibe that the front office thinks they really have a really really good team already where they don't have this big itch to make moves.  Craig goes yep that's the vibe he gets.

Another beat guy said something similar.  Forgetting whom.  Cooley and Sheehan were joking about this point the other day making the same point of getting that vibe with Cooley disagreeing with what they are thinking at Redskins Park -- saying he thinks its a C +, B - roster. 

So when Bruce talked about all these guys coming back from injury -- seems like he meant every word.  It's interesting because it looks like they are riding into this season I presume by telling Dan they have a playoff roster.   I hope they are right because of they are wrong I think it will likely cost some jobs over there. 

And by thinking they are really really good -- the beat guys don't mean it by just extrapolating it based on their lack of aggression in FA -- but that its actually what they are being told.  That is the FO think this team is really good talent wise as is.   Will see.

Archived