Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

10 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Francis played enough to get that rating. Other guys who played sparringly (like Kalis) got very low grades. Francis was doing his job. HogsHaven even had him rated as a stud after one game and RiggosRag gave him a C grade noting his run stopping ability. 

He played 3 games. And by the way, he's not that young of a pup.  He's about to turn 28.  He has bounced around the league.  Hankins is 2 years younger than him ironically.  If the FO saw Francis in some terrific light -- why would they bother with Hankins and leak to others how much they like Vea?

but its going against the belief that our DL is the worse in the league.

You the other day had a post about how its hard to have subtle discussion on this thread without things being dramatically turned one way or another -- especially as a negative on the FO.  This point here though is an example of exactly what you are complaining that others do.  The conversation isn't about having the worst D line in the league.

To me though this signifies a problem with the depth on the team and not the starting unit. Is Allen injury prone? He wasn't in college and what scared people in the draft (his shoulder) is not what was injured here. Ioa had a broken hand. 

The starting unit of a D line -- at least a good D line is defacto 4 guys not 2.  It's not like the typical position on the field.  I presume you disagree with that point since you keep making points like this.  It's not Allen and Ionnadis or bust and then some role guys to fill in.  A really good D line has multiple studs.  Eagles needed Bennett with all they had on the D line already?  Not if you buy that its mostly about the two front line starters.  But on the D line position, that's not IMO how it works. 

I don't like being called pro-FO. I'm just pro a certain way of doing things. There are other things that I don't care for, but really don't care about.

You've called yourself that directly before so I am surprised about this comment.  Cool either way. 

But now the Eagles have become the staple of the NFL? 

Typically when you win the Superbowl, people copy you.  But to your point no the Eagles didn't invent the idea that a loaded D line helps win championships.  It's been out there for awhile.  So I'd agree with you if this was just some new fangled Eagles thing.  But it isn't.

There are other things that I don't care for, but really don't care about. I hate the Scot story but I also realize that nobody has clean hands in this  - and I don't mean Scot and Bruce, I mean the WP, WTEM and WJFK who are some of the main sources of infomation in this.

That's fine but that's them not people here.  I think you unfairly lumped people yesterday on this thread as some sort of reflex FO haters who just hate anything they do.  The implication was you being an example of how to look at things more rationally.  

I've been religiously on the FA thread for years.  And yeah there is an occasional rant by people but its not the typical post.  It's all about what they do specifically and does it fit what we think. Or at least that's the case specifically in the draft and FA thread with just an occasional macro conversation about the FO.   

I can actually argue by your own terms that you are one of the most negative people of late about the FO. You are the one getting into long explanations about how their logic is faulty.  Whether you label it that way or not -- that's what in effect you are doing.  As for what the FO is thinking.  Doug is telegraphing it.   You are are actually arguing against their thought process on real meat decisions.

I argued on behalf of their thought process versus yours on WR.  And it looks like I am now arguing their thought process versus yours on D line.  You are talking your philosophy about football. And that's cool.  So are most of us.  I get the angst on your end but I think you are thinking of different threads.  Now, those threads I'll give you are intense on that front. :)

I'm a pro-draft guy. I loved when Scot said he likes to have 10 picks every draft because I'd love 15 per draft. I love to see those guys and the UDFA coming out of college make the roster and suddenly compete for spots.

Right now, what are they on track to do -- sign 2 marquee FAs.  Not to jinx it on Hankins.  But hope if is not him its someone else.  You were hyping the cheap FA signing approach the other day -- or at least setting that up as something that people are set up to dislike as an unfair criticism of the FO.  But playing off of this point -- you should hate the get 6 but cheaper FA approach versus the 2 marquee guy approach.  A McGee AND McClain..takes two roster spots over Calais Campbell for example.

I flat out said days back if you are going to sign a McGee-McClain type in FA, I'd rather just ride with cheap youngish guy instead like Francis.  My take in FA is do it the Vikings 2018 way.  Sign 2 marquee FAs and then call it a day.  I don't care about collecting 5-6 cheap-medium tier FAs.  And based on your post here, you should embrace my point on this big time. 

Will signing Hankins interrupt this, not really because Matt I would still be in the rotation. And the guy who drops out would probably be McGee. Plus he's younger than Francis and other factors. But where is the line drawn? Do we go after the Williams guys who were in Minny 10 years ago based on name? Do we sign 3 new guys and develop nobody?

We sign a DT so where is the line drawn?   For example, the Vikings sign Richardson so now they are going to stop developing young guys?  Balance is part of what a FO is in charge of figuring out.   It's not about moving from one dramatic approach to another.  The Patriots develop players.  They sign players too.  The trade for players.  They trade their players for picks.  It's a little bit of everything.  And the draft is always the core.  FAs doesn't preclude drafting guys.

Yeah but we saw firsthand how we can be taken advantage of with a QB like Rodgers. I think that's why they are less in love with NTs. YOu see how much Gruden talks about versatility and the ability to play multiple positions, thus improving their depth. Its one of the reasons Grant got so much praise. 

It's part of the reason why I liked Richardson.  He's not a traditional nose but he can do both -- stop the run, rush the passer.  Hankins is more of a run stopper than pressure guy.  But he can put some pressure, too and move around the d line.  He's versatile.  But in short, they can't every year get pounded on the ground by running backs and win especially late in the year.  I like Lanier for example but right now he's a liability against the run.

18 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

3 years $27m with $12m guaranteed should do the trick, if Allen let's Hankins get out of Redskins Park without signing him he is a bigger **** than I thought he was. Hawkins needs to be a Redskin, Do it Allen.

HTTR 

Id say a bit north of that. Hopefully we can close it out today.

Two things:

1) Anyone recall where Hankins ranked last year in our FA wish list? Especially in comparison with the other FA DL? 

2) If Hankins signs, I'd really like to see us drop back in the draft and then target Will Hernandez

Edit: I just perused the 2017 Free Agency thread, it seems the consensus was that Hankins is a stud. So...sign the guy for 3yr/$26.74m and be done with it. Then, c'mon Hernandez!

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

3 years $27m with $12m guaranteed should do the trick, if Allen let's Hankins get out of Redskins Park without signing him he is a bigger **** than I thought he was. Hawkins needs to be a Redskin, Do it Allen.

HTTR 

Would start with that, but would go 3 yr at 30 mill with 15 guaranteed after negotiating.  

20 minutes ago, carex said:

really?  Just a few months ago he was thanking us for sticking with him

I think he is just getting frustrated at the process I cannot see anyone comming in and offering him huge money given his age ... I could see him topping maybe 5-7 on a one year deal 

Some of you are quoting in the 9-10 mil/year range??? 

Richardson & Wilkerson both less than that. I understand Wilkerson on a prove it deal, but still. I am hoping to come in around 7-8 mil/year.  Leaving some wiggle room to land that CB

And yea, Junior gotta go. That talk is over the top and he has a pretty overinflated self worth. 

47 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Just reading DRC isn't making a decision until April. Seems like we are moving on or calling him out a bit to force the issue. Dare say we'll have a DB signed up by Tuesday.

That seems to be the theme of the season and it started in early-Jan with Jay saying he wants a quick decision out of Cuzzo.

"Get in or get out," and "If you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly bear."

13 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

I think he is just getting frustrated at the process I cannot see anyone comming in and offering him huge money given his age ... I could see him topping maybe 5-7 on a one year deal 

Not when most of his posts (the highlights) are from 4 years ago or in practice. 

He's always been pretty annoying on twitter, for me.

8 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

And yea, Junior gotta go. That talk is over the top and he has a pretty overinflated self worth. 

He actually engaged in a twitter beef with me last summer when I took exception to him saying "(He) was going to be the next Dexter Manley," and I said something like "How about taking a meaningful rep first."

List of guys I'm guessing would be good not to have in the locker room... Cousins (to calculated in every move, not a team leader. Self interests obvious), Cravens (Whiny, self absorbed millennial with likely 'issues'), Gallette (egotistical average to probably below average player at this point. Hanging on to a good year 4 years ago), Breeland (already highlighted by our staff that he needed to listen more. Goes to DR and may cost himself career opportunity. Not a bright kid by all accounts)

keep the additions by subtractions going. I also like some of the reports the attitude around Redskin Park is different Gotta believe in the change. 

10 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

List of guys I'm guessing would be good not to have in the locker room... Cousins (to calculated in every move, not a team leader. Self interests obvious), Cravens (Whiny, self absorbed millennial with likely 'issues'), Gallette (egotistical average to probably below average player at this point. Hanging on to a good year 4 years ago), Breeland (already highlighted by our staff that he needed to listen more. Goes to DR and may cost himself career opportunity. Not a bright kid by all accounts)

keep the additions by subtractions going. I also like some of the reports the attitude around Redskin Park is different Gotta believe in the change. 

If we manage to keep the additions coming while maintaining integrity for next years comp picks I dare say it's a master stroke.

Archived