Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just heard again Finlay mention their interest in Joyner if he hit FA and the Rams didn't tag him.  Wonder if a safety who can play nickel is on their agenda.  If so if the Cardinals release the Honey Badger -- I think they might consider.  I watched Swearinger and the Honey Badger interact after the Cardinals game last year, they seemed close.

Swearinger and Honey Badget closeness kind of confirmed here...

Meanwhile, Junior weighing in on Breeland

48 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Swearinger and Honey Badget closeness kind of confirmed here...

They had interest supposedly in two safety types who could play the slot already.  I recall Jay in his description of the Eagles defense for the playoff game for Keim's article talked about Jenkins being able to do it all including playing the slot. 

With Fuller now gone, I am wondering if they are looking for a safety like that.  Mathieu would be poster child perfect for that role.  Only problem is he would unlikely be cheap.

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

gossip from a guy who knows a guy who supposedly sat next to Tomsula on a plane.  If its true, love S. Richardson, that would be a good get.

Tomsula inferred that Sheldon Richardson is a #Redskins target. My guy asked about him specifically. "Ohhhh, we're on that!"

My guy asked about other FA considerations, specifically on the DL. Tomsula offered up an under-the-radar name: former Titan DaQuan Jones.

I was hoping that the idea of playing for Tomsula would at least get the Skins a seat at the table for guys like this.  

21 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not that I’ve been following Suh closely, but I’m under the impression that he’s still the same P.O.S. hes always been.  I understand of course that he can still dominate, but if he’s matured over the years that’s news to me.

I dont mind a POS that directs it to the other team. Dolphins coaches said he wasnt a problem.  

But his price tag would have to reasonable. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They had interest supposedly in two safety types who could play the slot already.  I recall Jay in his description of the Eagles defense for the playoff game for Keim's article talked about Jenkins being able to do it all including playing the slot. 

With Fuller now gone, I am wondering if they are looking for a safety like that.  Mathieu would be poster child perfect for that role.  Only problem is he would unlikely be cheap.

I doubt they seriously pursue him due to the money, but... I’ve been saying Joyner would be a great addition (even though he’s not really available any more).  Makes so much sense to address slot corner while also giving us another good option at FS.  

In fact, two of my favorite targets are/were Joyner and Logan because of the versatility they bring.  

Which is also why Fitzpatrick is one of the few guys I probably stay put for in the 1st.  

45 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Cheap version of honey badger is Sua Cravens

Younger guys that can play two positions, yes.  Of course, they play different positions, so also no.  Cravens doesn’t (really) help our FS or slot corner positions.  

Speaking of Cravens’ positions, I’ll be curious to see how JHC develops at dimebacker.  Dude’s got the talent.  He’ll need some time, but he’s got the traits to be a difference maker covering TEs.  I also think Swearinger playing more SS will be a big help to our run D (and Nicholson at free a big help to our corners).  

14 hours ago, RWJ said:

He could probably be had for a 7th rounder if someone took on his salary.

Regarding honey badger for a 7th

1. Would be a good get, trading doesn’t hurt them for getting picks next year in compensatory long game

2. He’s only 25 so plenty left in the tank unlike guys being discussed here lately like the 32 year old Michael Bennett, Suh who is 31, 29 year old Wilkerson, 30 year old Sherman, 32 year old Talib  etc. Seems like people never consider age when discussing these players. Age a huge plus for honey badger, trade for him giving up a low round pick and add some years to the deal stretching out the money and would work

I don’t want any expensive old players, stupid way to build the team

Paradise that is a trade that makes sense to me, good player fixes a need and is young. you asked about trading picks for players and there is one that would work to me.  No way in hell they could get out of a 7th that they could get for him. Now these other trades going down across the league for these old guys way past thier primes doesn’t work at all. As I said trading picks for players has to make sense and a 25 year old salary dump guy works.

26 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Trade Cravens for Honey Badger?

Keep Sua give them a seventh so they can get some cap relief.

Cards need a QB and don’t have much space the only reason they would give up on him. Strike while the irons hot. 

Badgers contract has three years left on it as is. Adding two more years on it stretching money to the back end of it would take it to him only being 30. 

1 hour ago, rumplestilskin said:

Why would you cry if they had interest in Suh? $ or play?

I wouldn’t cry but I would be pissed because

1. Age

2. Hurting the team long term next years draft picks

3. Cost to much 

if it was 2013 I wouldn’t mind Suh, at 31 how much do you think he’s got left in him? No thanks 

Mathieu has an additional $13.75M become guaranteed at the start of the new league year. I don't think they can trade him before it becomes guaranteed and they would then be on the hook, negating any possible cap savings and the possibilty of a trade. They would be more likely to release him.

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Yea, Honey Badger would not be cheap! 

With him being 25 adding two more years onto the deal would stretch it out enough to make it reasonable. He can still get the guarantee owed him which he would want and two more seasons with no guarantees to the deal stretching what is already owed him would lessen the cost. 

15 minutes ago, Kurd Cudins said:

Mathieu has an additional $13.75M become guaranteed at the start of the new league year. I don't think they can trade him before it becomes guaranteed and they would then be on the hook, negating any possible cap savings and the possibilty of a trade. They would be more likely to release him.

Trading him now is still a possibility, in fact if they released him they save less then 5 million on the cap and eat 9.1 million in dead money. More likely they trade him then cut him. They could release him as a post June 1 cut and save even more money then that but if they are leting the world know now they asked him to take a massive salary cut to stay they are still open to trading him

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Trading him now is still a possibility, in fact if they released him they save less then 5 million on the cap and eat 9.1 million in dead money. More likely they trade him then cut him

They can't officially trade him until the start of the league year, at which time that $13.75 becomes guaranteed. The additional $5M is due a couple days later. It's really a timing question and I wonder if it's possible to "pass on" said monies.

Just now, Kurd Cudins said:

They can't officially trade him until the start of the league year, at which time that $13.75 becomes guaranteed. The additional $5M is due a couple days later. It's really a timing question and I wonder if it's possible to "pass on" said monies.

Due to be paid by the team he’s on. Which gives them time to work out a trade with another team who takes that price on. 

NFL contracts are easy to manipulate; team trades for him, adds two years to the deal stretching out these guarantees to include the next five years, player gets the money upfront, only counts a small percentage against this years cap, players happy they got the money they thought they were owed and team gets to prorate the cost. Since he’s only 25 unlikely to deal with dead money later because he’s not on the team and retired.

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Due to be paid by the team he’s on. Which gives them time to work out a trade with another team who takes that price on. 

My point is that at the beginning of the league year he will be on the Cardinals. Same as Alex Smith will be on the Chiefs. Trades will then be executed. Guaranteed money cannot be passed along.

32 minutes ago, Kurd Cudins said:

My point is that at the beginning of the league year he will be on the Cardinals. Same as Alex Smith will be on the Chiefs. Trades will then be executed. Guaranteed money cannot be passed along.

https://overthecap.com/trading-dead-money-nfl-expiring-contract/

I believe that this can be passed along to the new teams and why we’ve seen so many trades this year involving good players for cap relief

2 hours ago, rumplestilskin said:

Why would you cry if they had interest in Suh? $ or play?

$ and attitude more than play. He seems like Albert Haynesworth, but without the questions about work ethic. Maybe it really is just the price, but hitting the market again after just three years seems like a bad sign to me.

Well he isn't taking a pay cut in AZ, so if you want him you have to deem he's worth a 10m per year contract. I dare say if he gets released he will get more from a new team that he was due in AZ. 

Trade for him, restructure his current year money to limit the cap hit now and then look to extend next year if it works well. That'd be my way to go.

Archived