Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Just now, bobandweave said:

Your joking right? You LOVE keeping draft picks, while loving to let our players go to others teams and sacrificing more draft picks in the process hahaha. I've heard it all now

Should we have paid DJax and Baker what Tampa gave them?  That's why you have to sometimes let your own guys walk.  They think they are worth more than they really are.  Being a Redskins fan, you should know about overpaying for players and how that really hurts short term and long-term.  I'm sure they have an offer out to the FA's and if market is in line, they'll probably end up back here unless they take their sweet time and we find a replacement (for cheaper and same production).

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

SIP- my response was to another guy. And it began because he had no interest in late round picks. I was just making a point that there's absolutely value there, especially in 3rd and 4th rounders. But at the same time, I'd gladly pick up a definitive upgrade in FA if I knew it canceled out one of these picks.

My worry is derived from the Redskin way of free agency in which we overpay average talent. I don't want to see us land backup players like the Macs and cancel out a comp pick. 

With only 25 million in space the only way this team are players for any one in free agency this year is if they overpay for average guys. Some teams have 5 times the money the Redskins do now. What's going to get players to choose this team over others? Nothing. The answer is to overpay for its own players

7 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Your joking right? You LOVE keeping draft picks, while loving to let our players go to others teams and sacrificing more draft picks in the process hahaha. I've heard it all now

I'll just sum it up this way.  Your position where it all just about lives and dies with comp picks is as absurd and ridiculous to ME as you think my position is.  Not sure what the object here -- you want to engage in conversation, I presume otherwise you wouldn't be responding to me but at the same time -- you like using a tone that doesn't facilitate a cordial response.

Are we talking football or do you just want to make fun of positions you don't like?  

3 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

A.  I don't think he said he LOVING to let our own players go.

B.  Sacrificing more picks?  You're contradicting yourself here.  If "our" players go to other teams, it works in the equation for your precious comp picks.  You keep mentioning the team can gain comp picks if we don't sign free agents.  You won't gain comp picks if the teams' best players don't hit free agency

C. It's practically impossible for "us" to keep all of "our" own players based on the market.  If breeland goes, we will probably replace him, with someone less expensive.  They may cancel out in players lost to players gained.  Who knows?!?!?  But doing free agency that way is not how one will operate.

Your analogy of doing free agency to gain comp picks is ludicrous to be honest.

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

As it stands now, though, I don't really think it makes sense to worry about comp picks. We traded a young stud and a draft pick for a 34 year old QB and look to be backloading cap contracts. This is a win-now strategy. And as much as I don't like that, if you do it, you have to follow through. Cheaping out on FAs to gain an extra 4th or 5th in a year doesn't make any sense as part of that plan.

Who was the young stud we traded? Assume you mean Cousins, young?

QBs who are young are guys like Jamies Winston (24), Carson Wentz (25), and Sam Darnold (20), not Kirk Cousins (30). And not Alex Smith. 

Anyway since you guys just want them to blow the whole defense up and not resign any of the starters, so they can be players in Free Agency when they have little money while the rest of the league is loaded with cash and after these same players you guys are salivating over, this approach makes no sense 

A win now move would be to load up the defense not make it significantly worse. Blowing up the defense means you aint winning now. It means you are sucking now. If the plan is to suck now then I'm all for letting them let half of the starters go. Hell don't go half retarded they should go full retarded and trade - Alex Smith. Ryan Kerrigan, Josh Norman, Trent Williams, Brandon Scherff, Chris Thompson, and anyone else that are any good. Why? Because half assed doesn't work in the NFL and anyone thinking that this team is going to be players in Free Agency are delussional unless they are willing to significantly over pay for free agents. 

The approach to win now is to keep the defense together after having its best year in years. Just because they got Alex doesn't mean they are winning anything now. Once we lose this defense good luck with that plan of being active in free agency lol. 

4 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

I know pro bowl is a bad example, but I don't have the time to go through and find "impact" player.  My point was you'd have to wait until at least year 3 in 99% of the cases when drafting a "comp pick" player to make an impact.

It was a lazy way of saying impact player.  FA's will supply more of an impact then a comp pick.  So you got me on that, but I can certainly say we have had more impact on some FA signings then the league has had on comp picks

Well, I had to go back and look into your stat and just by a quick scroll I saw at least 5 pro bowl comp picks...

I don't disagree with your point, we have a much better chance of assessing and finding talent among current NFL players rather than unproven college players. I just think that our FO is awful at this and I'd rather roll the dice on getting lucky with a couple extra picks in the draft and saving our money for true studs.

Being that I'm so pessimistic on this current FA pool, I'd rather sit back, hit the bargain bin, save our cap to roll over next year, accumulate more picks for next year, and then go nuts in 2019 off-season. If we spend our cap space this year like we did last year then we'll be back in the same exact situation next year.

I just don't see $25M of players taking us over the hump this year. It would keep us in "same old same old" mode. 

49 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Eagles got several base salaries they can play around with to sort their cap out.

Yes and no. They don't have space next year either, so simple restructures will cause an even bigger problem then. With Graham, Hicks and Ajayi as FAs.

If I were them, I'd try to deal Paters. Wouldn't save any cap now but would clear a lot for 2019.

14 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

With only 25 million in space the only way this team are players for any one in free agency this year is if they overpay for average guys. Some teams have 5 times the money the Redskins do now. What's going to get players to choose this team over others? Nothing. The answer is to overpay for its own players

Bob, I say pass to both options. Land a stud or pass on everything else other than bargain bin. Hosley plays the slot. Moreau/Dunbar takes over for Breeland, Spaight takes over for Brown. We're really not talking about drastic dropoffs here, if any at all (aside from Fuller). 

This will put us in a MUCH better position after next year... but all the reports are saying that the Redskins will be aggressive, so as per usual, the FO only sees one year ahead.

35 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

I know this wasn't directed at me but I'll give you a few points as to why I view it as a good trade (my opinion):

- stability for another 3 years at the most important position

- Fuller was horrendous on the outside so he was pretty much stuck to the nickel which a solid qb > solid nickel any day of the week

- Smith and Kirk with similar Adjusted Yard Per Attempt & Y/A

- Smith with a better Int%

- Smith is more mobile and can extend plays better

- Protects the ball better overall

- Similar completion percentage

- He didn't need to throw as much as Kirk in years past but in the couple seasons he did, his numbers were on par with Kirk with fewer turnovers.

- $$$ does not appear to be bad either

I agree with you, great post.

For the record Paradise was going on and on about trades from 2010 and 2004 and how trading for Vets was a bad move asking me when did it work out for the Redskins and I asked him what Alex had to do to show you it was a good trade? He skirted the question completely, said some nonsense about how he liked Alex Smith better then me, and continued to cry about the past. Typical for him. 

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yeah, we traded the 04 3rd for Brunell (like you said, almost certainly unnecessary) and then traded an 05 2nd to get a (later) 3rd back to take Cooley. Then, in 05 we traded our 06 1st (and possibly the 4th too) in the Campbell deal to make up the value of the 2nd we didn't have.

You really can't hold Brunell or his trade value accountable for that chain of moves. But it was a bad move that ended up being even more expensive with time.

I disagree. The value of any trade includes all possible repercussions of the trade, direct or indirect.

12 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Giants just traded a 4 and 6 for Ogletree. Getting busy out there.

Gettleman off to the races. They had two glaring weaknesses- ILB and OL. They shored up the ILB a bit, still need another. Their already atrocious OL is losing Pugh to FA and they now have under $15M in cap and two less draft picks... 

Eli's getting ready to take another step back.

1 minute ago, Darth Tater said:

I disagree. The value of any trade includes all possible repercussions of the trade, direct or indirect.

Nah. If you trade me 5 1st round picks for Graham Gano and I draft crap with all the picks, it doesn't make it a bad trade for me. I just blew the draft picks, which has nothing to do with the trade.

55 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Well, I had to go back and look into your stat and just by a quick scroll I saw at least 5 pro bowl comp picks...

I don't disagree with your point, we have a much better chance of assessing and finding talent among current NFL players rather than unproven college players. I just think that our FO is awful at this and I'd rather roll the dice on getting lucky with a couple extra picks in the draft and saving our money for true studs.

Being that I'm so pessimistic on this current FA pool, I'd rather sit back, hit the bargain bin, save our cap to roll over next year, accumulate more picks for next year, and then go nuts in 2019 off-season. If we spend our cap space this year like we did last year then we'll be back in the same exact situation next year.

I just don't see $25M of players taking us over the hump this year. It would keep us in "same old same old" mode. 

Well I did say 3rd round comp picks, as there are some who believe we will get one with Breeland.  I most certainly know any pick can hit as a pro bowler.  My thing was going through free agency to try and be granted a comp pick is a disaster.

Keim

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35820/allen-robinson-paul-richardson-among-redskins-wr-targets

Here are four prominent names the Redskins have considered (to what degree remains to be seen):

Allen Robinson: It's expected they'll pursue him. He’s coming off a torn ACL and also had a stress fracture in his foot in 2014. But he’s ultra-talented and several teams likely will be interested. That always drives up the cost. He’s only 24 years old and, at age 22, he produced a 1,400-yard season with 14 touchdowns. That season, of his 80 catches, 31 gained 20 or more yards. His numbers dropped in 2016 but were still solid -- and a lot was blamed on quarterback Blake Bortles. Robinson offers versatility, being able to run routes from multiple spots and can be a big downfield threat. He’s also considered a hard worker as this Jacksonville.com story illustrates (among other points). He’s also a terrific red zone threat with 25 career catches and 18 touchdowns inside the 20. Being 6-foot-3 helps, but it’s more about his route running and beating double-teams.

Paul Richardson: He makes big plays with a touch of acrobatics when needed. The fear is that his price tag will creep higher than the Redskins' desire, but as of now there's definite interest. He's coming off his best season with 44 catches for 703 yards and 6 touchdowns. He’ll be viewed as a player on the rise. Another bonus: He’s used to playing with a quarterback who can go off schedule. It helps, too, that receivers who leave Seattle usually fare well -- Jermaine Kearse had an excellent year with the Jets; Golden Tate has three 1,000-yard seasons with Detroit. Of Richardson’s 44 catches, 13 gained at least 20 yards and five surpassed 30 yards. The point: He’s a downfield playmaker.

Jarvis Landry: The Redskins like his game, but how much? And though he's not slow, he's also not a burner; does he really fit what they want and need? Because Miami used the franchise tag on Landry, the Redskins would have to trade for him -- and then sign him to a long-term deal. That’s a steep price to pay for someone whose productivity has come mostly in the slot -- where the Redskins already have a weapon in Crowder. In the past three years, Landry has caught 100 passes while aligned wide, averaging 9.71 yards with six touchdowns, according to ESPN Stats & Information. During that same time while lined up in the slot, Landry has caught 204 passes, averaged 11.06 yards and scored 11 touchdowns. Landry would add toughness at receiver and would help the blocking. He hasn’t been a big-play target, though, with only six of his 112 catches last season gaining 20 or more yards.

Sammy Watkins: He’ll be a coveted player because of his big-play ability. But he also hasn’t been productive the past two seasons with a combined 1,023 yards and 10 touchdowns in 23 games -- he missed half of 2016 with a foot injury. But with the Rams last season, Watkins caught eight touchdown passes on 39 receptions and he’s still big and fast. Nine catches gained 20-plus yards last season. And, in his big year of 2015 he caught 60 passes for 1,047 yards -- 18 of those throws gained 20 or more yards. Of course, he had a terrific downfield thrower in Tyrod Taylor. But Watkins’ game revolves around big plays. The hard part to know will be his cost. Teams will be interested for two reasons: his talent and because he won’t turn 25 until June.

57 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

For the record Paradise was going on and on about trades from 2010 and 2004 and how trading for Vets was a bad move asking me when did it work out for the Redskins and I asked him what Alex had to do to show you it was a good trade? He skirted the question completely, said some nonsense about how he liked Alex Smith better then me, and continued to cry about the past. Typical for him. 

This post sums up your style well.   Your reading comprehension issues, browbeating style and rudeness is typical for you.

Would you all take a chance on Tavon Austin at some league minimum?  Nobody is gonna trade for him so it's looks like he might be released.  He's kind of a gadget and special teams guy.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rams-will-reportedly-move-on-from-tavon-austin-less-than-two-years-into-huge-deal/

Someone will likely take a chance on him for cheap -- there are a ton teams out there lacking playmakers of any kind -- but nobody should expect him to be more than an occasional playmaker who can run gimmicky type of plays

While I agree with some that aiming for compensatory draft picks may prove the best overall strategy, if Alex Smith is your QB then you pretty much have to go all in for the next couple years, right? A 34 year old QB shouldn't be expected to have much a of a window. So it's pretty much now or never (though the actual ceiling for "now" is likely pretty limited)

Archived