Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Well he isn't taking a pay cut in AZ, so if you want him you have to deem he's worth a 10m per year contract. I dare say if he gets released he will get more from a new team that he was due in AZ. 

Trade for him, restructure his current year money to limit the cap hit now and then look to extend next year if it works well. That'd be my way to go.

To put it in perspective, the word is that Breeland's looking for that same kind of money. Honey Badger is a stud, while Breeland is an inconsistent, possibly, maybe, slightly above avg player. 

If we're trying to upgrade our secondary in FA, I'll gladly trade a 5th and take on that contract, which is a fair one. 

47 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

https://overthecap.com/trading-dead-money-nfl-expiring-contract/

I believe that this can be passed along to the new teams and why we’ve seen so many trades this year involving good players for cap relief

My question is related to the timing of the bonuses kicking in and the occurrence of the trade. I have no question they can trade away the $5M bonus on the 16th. I also have no question that they COULD trade the $13.75M but I think it would have to be before 3/14, which might not be possible.

For the record, I am a big Honey Badger fan and would be happy if we signed him.

2 hours ago, bobandweave said:

https://overthecap.com/trading-dead-money-nfl-expiring-contract/

I believe that this can be passed along to the new teams and why we’ve seen so many trades this year involving good players for cap relief

"For the team trading the player, a trade is pretty much treated the same as the release of a player – the team is relieved of paying all future base salaries, but still must account for the bonus money that has already been paid to the player.  Just like with the release of a player, the remaining unaccounted-for bonus pro-rations will accelerate and count against the team’s Salary Cap."

"For the team acquiring the player, a trade means that the new team acquires the player’s remaining contract, but does not have any liability for any bonus money previously paid to the player."

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wouldn’t the trade become official next Wednesday though? 

We would have to kill the trade and cross our fingers going into the draft, it would sketchy but I think as a team you have to be almost certain he would be there at 13, not sure if that's possible.  Also, you piss off Smith's agent and the Chiefs, it would probably burn some bridges.

38 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I wouldn't eat up cap for Mathieu unless we move Norman, we need to focus on the front 7 and not be distracted by high priced CB's.

I agree that DL, ILB (as well as G, WR and RB) are more important than corner.  Especially finalizing the trenches.  We do have a hole at slot corner though, and Gruden has said they’d rather Moreau stay outside.  

11 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

We are fine at corner. We have to trust the process of drafting in the players that we have on the team currently. Same with safety. Can't just throw money at every spot and hope it sticks. Not that team anymore.

I like our 3 corners on the outside, but assuming Holsey can start at nickel is risky.  Love Nicholson, but those injuries are concerning.  That’s the reason I like these versatile corners - Fitzpatrick, Joyner, Matthieu and maybe Vaccaro - their ability to play both spots.  If Nicholson gets injured, you move the new guy back to FS and Holsey goes to the slot.  Otherwise, we may be stuck with Moreau in the slot, or Cravens/Everett at FS (or Swearinger moved there).  Far from ideal.  

So yeah, they cost significant resources, but since they sort of shore up two areas, I think they’re worth it.  As I said earlier - it’s similar to Logan/Vea/etc. playing NT and DT.  Signing 2 players to feel better about 4 positions is pretty enticing and frees up the rest of the draft/FA for the remaining holes.  If there were a receiver that had proven the ability to play inside and out (maybe there is and I don’t know it), I’d probably be pushing for them too, lol.  

I’ll add that you’re paying big money for those guys, but at least they are impact guys... better than overpaying a JAG (as has been discussed).  

Sherman can start negotiating with teams right now since he’s been released right? Someone tell dan to fire up the private jet!! Make sure to bring the money too :P 

maybe have Trent promise to not pull on his dreadlocks if he comes here? (That was Trent, right? In that Monday night game?) 

17 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

We would have to kill the trade and cross our fingers going into the draft, it would sketchy but I think as a team you have to be almost certain he would be there at 13, not sure if that's possible.  Also, you piss off Smith's agent and the Chiefs, it would probably burn some bridges.

It's not going to happen. It could happen.... but it's not.

1 minute ago, Tay said:

It's not going to happen. It could happen.... but it's not.

I agree, I think it's all bluffing but it's possible the team is having buyer's remorse after going through the combine and getting a closer look at some of these kids.

12 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I like our 3 corners on the outside, but assuming Holsey can start at nickel is risky.  Love Nicholson, but those injuries are concerning.  That’s the reason I like these versatile corners - Fitzpatrick, Joyner, Matthieu and maybe Vaccaro - their ability to play both spots.  If Nicholson gets injured, you move the new guy back to FS and Holsey goes to the slot.  Otherwise, we may be stuck with Moreau in the slot, or Cravens/Everett at FS (or Swearinger moved there).  Far from ideal.  

So yeah, they cost significant resources, but since they sort of shore up two areas, I think they’re worth it.  As I said earlier - it’s similar to Logan/Vea/etc. playing NT and DT.  Signing 2 players to feel better about 4 positions is pretty enticing and frees up the rest of the draft/FA for the remaining holes.  If there were a receiver that had proven the ability to play inside and out (maybe there is and I don’t know it), I’d probably be pushing for them too, lol.   

While not ideal if your scenario played out I have one other for you. Imagine Doctson, Crowder, Davis, and Harris being our top 4 receivers. Not only is that scary but that is down right crippling. I don't think we have an area on the roster in need more of a talent boost than the WR's except maybe RB. That is why I am advocating that we leave the big money corners for someone else to pick up. Same goes for safety.

While the FA receivers are not stud players we need something. Anything. We are in a very sorry state there. And what sucks is there is going to be a big money market for the top guys and I believe we need to get at least one of them even though they probably are not worth it. Can buy a cheap filler for CB depth/slot or draft pick but the big money option here would be a big mistake IMO. With that being said I do understand your point though I just think we need the free money in other areas.

18 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I agree, I think it's all bluffing but it's possible the team is having buyer's remorse after going through the combine and getting a closer look at some of these kids.

I must be missing something. Where are you getting they have buyers remorse?

No good FA is going to want to come here unless we over pay. I could be wrong and maybe this team is enticing but if I was a player, the organization continues to look like a joke and I would want to avoid it like the plague until they prove otherwise.

21 minutes ago, dyst said:

No good FA is going to want to come here unless we over pay. I could be wrong and maybe this team is enticing but if I was a player, the organization continues to look like a joke and I would want to avoid it like the plague until they prove otherwise.

With our record and not being a playoff team I believe this to be true.  We must get back to our winning ways.

21 minutes ago, dyst said:

Which is fine... as long as we overpay players worth overpaying, not trash like the Macs.

As much as I loved Allen Robinson 3 years ago, I don't want him now. Especially seeing the rumor that he'll be looking for $13/$14M/yr. Our current estimated cap is $23.1... I'm not a math guy, but that would leave us with not much.

All this pining for Sherman to come here....am I the only one who thinks, outside of two good years, Sherman is an overrated corner?  Not to mention he's a loud-mouthed hot head (even after winning!), who is about to be 30 this month, coming off a torn achilles?  Not the type of player you want to sign IMO. 

17 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Which is fine... as long as we overpay players worth overpaying, not trash like the Macs.

As much as I loved Allen Robinson 3 years ago, I don't want him now. Especially seeing the rumor that he'll be looking for $13/$14M/yr. Our current estimated cap is $23.1... I'm not a math guy, but that would leave us with not much.

I'm expecting Richardson will be the guy we sign.  A few mill cheaper.

10 minutes ago, PerryMason said:

All this pining for Sherman to come here....am I the only one who thinks, outside of two good years, Sherman is an overrated corner?  Not to mention he's a loud-mouthed hot head (even after winning!), who is about to be 30 this month, coming off a torn achilles?  Not the type of player you want to sign IMO. 

If people think that Norman is overrated and overpaid, I don't know how they can justify paying for someone the same age, with a worse injury, and likely a higher price tag just from being rated higher than Norman is.

Archived