Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No doubt teams like the 49ers, Browns, Jets can front load contracts like the 49ers did with Garcon for example.  With free agents you overpay, that comes with the turf.  I am ok with that if you got a really good starter at a need position.  

I am just saying I would bet that those other teams would be after those guys and give this team a 1% chance of landing either. Other teams like you believe that it’s okay to overpay if the talent is good 

Bruce seems to prefer to overpay for medium tier guys -- the Andre Roberts type.  So it wouldn't shock me that they outbid everyone for Moncrief and give the dude 5.5-6 million or something of that ilk.  Stuff like that.    For me I'd rather have 2 marquee players and they call it a day than 5 medium-low tier guys.  

I agree with you and this clearly shows the world and all the player agents that Bruce is an idiot to be taken advantage of. He really needs to be fired immediately 

I suspect Bruce might be forced out of his comfort zone this off season.  It has a feeling of a watershed season.  They going to let Alex Smith go into the season with someone like Maurice Harris being his  Z receiver?   Jay has referred to R. Grant might not be back.  The beat guys have been screaming receiver is their like;y top chase in FA.  Will see.   The tea leaves right now give the vibe that its unlikely they go early for receiver in the draft.  So the action is likely in FA.  But yeah I am braced for a "meh" signing -- but I think if there is a shot they might surprise its this FA season.  Will see.

If I had my druthers about the receiver position I’m happy today that Alabama wide out performed poorly at the combine and would pencil him in at 13, he should be there and call it a day. In the second round I’m hoping Chubb is there and taking RB. In fact I’d most likely use the draft to stockpile offensive talent and would use all the free agency money on the departing defensive players. Instead of seeing reports of crappy bit role players coming in for a visit. Forget that noise no thanks but it’s not up to me

7 minutes ago, bh32 said:

WTF is the attraction to all these ex Cowboy D-linemen? every single one of them that have come here have sucked..Whoever is in charge of pro scouting should be fired..

Agreed, but it’s on Bruce. He has a hard on to the idea that taking other players from fellow NFC East teams somehow hurts them enough to mask the players ability. Bruce is the problem to me not the scouting guys. I bet they get told orders to try and weaken the division opponent and they just submit who is available and Bruce brings them in

6 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

If I had my druthers about the receiver position I’m happy today that Alabama wide out performed poorly at the combine and would pencil him in at 13, he should be there and call it a day. In the second round I’m hoping Chubb is there and taking RB. In fact I’d most likely use the draft to stockpile offensive talent and would use all the free agency money on the departing defensive players. Instead of seeing reports of crappy bit role players coming in for a visit. Forget that noise no thanks but it’s not up to me

I was just watching JP Finlay on Redskins Nation say he thinks they are going guard in the draft versus FA -- reason being they have too much money tied to the line once Scherff resigns.  We've heard to death they are likely drafting a RB.  According to Keim and many others they love Vea and want to use the draft to upgrade defense.  That's a lot to fit in with the picks they have.  

Then I keep hearing WR in FA.  So I'd be really surprised if they go Ridley in the draft. 

3 hours ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

If I was Skins brass I would be looking at extending all three of those guys right now...each for different reasons. 

Crowder: coming off subpar year...maybe get at a slight discount. 

Smith: solid player and could have a big year of Allen/Ionidioscher stay healthy. 

Scherff: total stud...get that dude locked down ASAP. Price is only going to go up. 

I would like to add to this.

Preston Smith last year had more hurries and pressures per snap then any other defensive pass rusher in the league

Say what you will about advanced metrics stats and analytics and what they mean but the truth is that some teams are using that data and when they see that about Preston you know he’s going to be a highly sought after free agent if he goes there. 

Imo because some teams use those stats every team has to use them. No sense in being at a disadvantage to other clubs unnecessarily 

The problem is that Bruce is a piece of crap who should already have been fired. Since he’s still here he is going to do whatever he can to improve the team in the short term. He probably doesn’t even care about next year the way he’s performed which means he’s not going to look at the long term like he should and that only hurts the team going forward. He should be fired immediately and someone given some security so they can look long term or they should reach out to Sashi Brown, get him in the building so he can rip all to the ground like he did the Browns and set them up for the future

29 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Salary cap savings moves are deals done to move cap off a teams books,

So correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you're saying that a team has to have a bad contract currently on the books before any transaction involving that player is considered to be a move made for cap savings?

I 1000% disagree with that.

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was just watching JP Finlay on Redskins Nation say he thinks they are going guard in the draft versus FA -- reason being they have too much money tied to the line once Scherff resigns.  We've heard to death they are likely drafting a RB.  According to Keim and many others they love Vea and want to use the draft to upgrade defense.  That's a lot to fit in with the picks they have.  

Then I keep hearing WR in FA.  So I'd be really surprised if they go Ridley in the draft. 

I don’t get to watch any of those guys but I listen to the podcasts they put out. With that said just because they say something doesn’t mean it should or will happen.

As for Guard in the draft taking one in the first round before having that bellcow RB to me makes no sense. Now I know that a lot of teams are taking RB as the last piece but this offensive line has so much money and picks tied into it. And while I have no real argument against doing that I will say that having three first round picks on the line is a massive luxury without any real benefactors. The Browns for example have a ton of money and picks in its starting line and because they lacked a good RB - and for the record I do like Duke Johnson but I don’t like Crowell at all - last year this didn’t benefit anyone. Same with our line last season 

As for RB every year they take a RB, problem is that they wait until the mid rounds to grab someone and they are only finding Jags. We have enough Jags and don’t need anymore. So saying they will use a draft pick on a RB needs to be defined as in if we are talking someone in the fourth like Perine, or someone like Keith Marshall in the 7th, or finally taking someone in the first two rounds which they haven’t done since 2002? 

The problem with upgrading Defense is that they are likely to get gutted this offseason losing two corners, two pass rushers, olb in Brown and others. Which means if they do get gutted like a dead fish then they have two choices. Either spend the top picks on offensive guys to help Smith and hope for the best, or spend the top picks on defensive guys which leaves once again the QB having no weapons to throw to and no RB worth a damn to run.

Thinking it over to me if we have Alex for three years knowing that the defensive talent is getting taken away the answer is to mask the defensive issues with offensive talent which does two things. One gives them one more year to get acclimated with one another and offensively they need that. And two a clear path to fixing the defense next year and built in excuse why they didn’t win this year.

Now I believe that no cheap receiver or Rb in free agency has the ceiling that draft picks can have talent wise that we can afford. Sure I would say ARob has the talent but I also think he’s way out of our financial league to sign. RB no one outside of maybe Le’Veon Bell would be interesting to me who is a free agent. Both positions are in prime spots for them to target this draft.

Which means that our best bet at finding offensive playmakers is in the draft not with the Moncriefs of the world. I don’t doubt that the Moncriefs will be looked at by Bruce because he is a cheap ass and wants to go cheap and can’t think about the future because he’s on borrowed time and will be let go eventually and should have happened already. That doesn’t make it the right thing to do

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

So correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you're saying that a team has to have a bad contract currently on the books before any transaction involving that player is considered to be a move made for cap savings?

I 1000% disagree with that.

No I’m saying that if a team has an all pro player on the books for less then two million bucks for the upcoming season and an option of a fifth year like Peters had that moving him two years out from that date for a savings of One million dollars was not done to save cap money. That’s what I am saying. They moved on from Peters for reasons other then cap savings

49 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

No I’m saying that if a team has an all pro player on the books for less then two million bucks for the upcoming season and an option of a fifth year like Peters had that moving him two years out from that date for a savings of One million dollars was not done to save cap money. That’s what I am saying. They moved on from Peters for reasons other then cap savings

I didn't even know what KC saved by trading him this year, I knew it wasn't much but it's not really relative to the point I was trying to make.

Lets just move on. :)

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bruce seems to prefer to overpay for medium tier guys -- the Andre Roberts type.  So it wouldn't shock me that they outbid everyone for Moncrief and give the dude 5.5-6 million or something of that ilk.  Stuff like that.    For me I'd rather have 2 marquee players and they call it a day than 5 medium-low tier guys.  

I believe the Skins have tried that approach.  It results in positions with players who desperately need to be replaced and the wasting of the marquee guys talents

1 hour ago, carex said:

I believe the Skins have tried that approach.  It results in positions with players who desperately need to be replaced and the wasting of the marquee guys talents

I keep hearing the FO and Jay think this team is close to being really good.  Beat guys are saying it and even Larry Michael said it on his show.  They are in a win now mode.  If they really feel that way than IMO loading up with another 3 Stacy McGee types isn't going to get them over the hump.  They have enough players like that.  They need IMO 2-3 really impact guys.  The Giants defense stunk in 2015 -- and did a 180 in 2016 with 3 marquee signings.  The Jaguars made a leap with 2 strong FA crops.  Seattle years back with Bennett and Avril. 

I know we are gun shy because of Vinny-Dan's incompetence in FA but it doesn't have to be that way.   Heck even Vinny had a good run or two -- the 2005 crop, Springs, M. Washington, Griffin helped turnaround that defense.  FA can be our friend if its used smartly.  

I am more of a draft guy personally.  But I think FA if used wisely can be an asset.

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I keep hearing the FO and Jay think this team is close to being really good.  Beat guys are saying it and even Larry Michael said it on his show.  They are in a win now mode.  If they really feel that way than IMO loading up with another 3 Stacy McGee types isn't going to get them over the hump.  They have enough players like that.  They need IMO 2-3 really impact guys.  The Giants defense stunk in 2015 -- and did a 180 in 2016 with 3 marquee signings.  The Jaguars made a leap with 2 strong FA crops.  Seattle years back with Bennett and Avril. 

I know we are gun shy because of Vinny-Dan's incompetence in FA but it doesn't have to be that way.   Heck even Vinny had a good run or two -- the 2005 crop, Springs, M. Washington, Griffin helped turnaround that defense.  FA can be our friend if its used smartly.  

I am more of a draft guy personally.  But I think FA if used wisely can be an asset.

Let's see what they do starting a Noon on 3/12.  That will tell the tale.  If we see the same ole same ole, this could and very well be the end of the Bruce Allen era along with Jay Gruden.

3 hours ago, bobandweave said:

I don’t get to watch any of those guys but I listen to the podcasts they put out. With that said just because they say something doesn’t mean it should or will happen.

Sure they could be wrong.  But it somewhat echoes stuff that Jay and Doug have let out in different ways, too -- key needs are LG, WR, CB (nickel), DT.   MLB if Zach leaves.  We've heard Doug tout the RBs in the draft and that they need DT.    We keep hearing how much they love Vea from different corners.  It could all be BS in the end.  But it seems at least likely they aren't going WR in round 1.   

Tough to call a WR from the draft in advance as a future NFL stud or not -- so many recent busts at that position or guys who just take awhile to get going at that position -- Ridley hasn't really separated himself as a sure fire stud where he seems like a slam dunk exception.  I like Moore maybe Christian Kirk but 13 is too early for them.  You likely have to to trade down and get him in the late first.  My gut is they don't do it at WR early in the draft.  As for whether I think they should or not  - for me I'd rather go WR in FA depending on the player than going early in this draft so if that's what they are truly thinking, I agree with them.  I don't think they go Ridley.  But I wouldn't hate it if they did.  I'd be surprised though.  He might be gone anyway considering rumor is the Bears really like him. 

As for Guard in the draft taking one in the first round before having that bellcow RB to me makes no sense. Now I know that a lot of teams are taking RB as the last piece but this offensive line has so much money and picks tied into it.

Finlay didn't say whether he thinks they'd do it early or not in the draft but he thinks they might go that route over FA.  I did notice that one of their former interviews was with Price at the combine.  He's likely a 2nd rounder.  Personally, I'd rather go RB in the 2nd -- lots of potential options.

Thinking it over to me if we have Alex for three years knowing that the defensive talent is getting taken away the answer is to mask the defensive issues with offensive talent which does two things. One gives them one more year to get acclimated with one another and offensively they need that. And two a clear path to fixing the defense next year and built in excuse why they didn’t win this year.

I don't get the sense they are thinking 2 years.  Again I am running on multiple beat guys sentiments and they could all be wrong.  It feels to me that this year has a very win now vibe in the sense that jobs might be on the line.  If so I don't think there is a narrative of we will fix another unit later.  I think this year has a now or never vibe at least in terms of making the playoffs -- where its all hands on deck.

Now I believe that no cheap receiver or Rb in free agency has the ceiling that draft picks can have talent wise that we can afford. Sure I would say ARob has the talent but I also think he’s way out of our financial league to sign. RB no one outside of maybe Le’Veon Bell would be interesting to me who is a free agent. Both positions are in prime spots for them to target this draft.

Which means that our best bet at finding offensive playmakers is in the draft not with the Moncriefs of the world. I don’t doubt that the Moncriefs will be looked at by Bruce because he is a cheap ass and wants to go cheap and can’t think about the future because he’s on borrowed time and will be let go eventually and should have happened already. That doesn’t make it the right thing to do

I agree with your point on RB, I'd rather not take a FA.  I somewhat agree on WR if they go cheap.  But if they land Richardson or Robinson I think they would be an immediate upgrade.

7 hours ago, bh32 said:

WTF is the attraction to all these ex Cowboy D-linemen? every single one of them that have come here have sucked..Whoever is in charge of pro scouting should be fired..

Basically wanted to say the same thing. Getting their rejects havent helped us much.

1 hour ago, dyst said:

Basically wanted to say the same thing. Getting their rejects havent helped us much.

Will probably play OLB if he signs, could be a replacement for Gallette or Murphy. Personally I wouldn't resign Murphy and I would release McClain. 

HTTR 

Just had a thought but let's say Wilkerson is visiting on Monday, which just happens to be the 1st day you can offer contracts to players. My question is will Allen and Co let him out of the building without signing for us?. Also with Mayowa not visiting until Tuesday leaves me to believe we will be very busy with the Big time players on Monday(Just my opinion).

My guesses are 

DT, Wilkerson or Logan

WR, Richardson

DB Honey Badger

HTTR 

2 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Will probably play OLB if he signs, could be a replacement for Gallette or Murphy. Personally I wouldn't resign Murphy and I would release McClain. 

HTTR 

I don't think they can really cut McClain before June 1st.  His cap hit before 6/1 is $3.75 mil but after 6/1 is $1.25 mil with cap savings of ~$3.5.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-redskins/

Meanwhile, get out your popcorn!

30 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I don't think they can really cut McClain before June 1st.  His cap hit before 6/1 is $3.75 mil but after 6/1 is $1.25 mil with cap savings of ~$3.5.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-redskins/

Meanwhile, get out your popcorn!

What are your picks for Skins to sign in FA, big players that is?. 

HTTR 

56 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

What are your picks for Skins to sign in FA, big players that is?. 

HTTR 

My wish list.....Sheldon Richardson, Robinson and trade Su'a for Honey Badger and renegotiate his contract.  :-)

What's yours?

6 hours ago, dyst said:

Yes no more garbage from Dallas it never works out for us. They almost never part ways with quality players except maybe D. Murray. Its akin to taking one of our cast offs.

Archived