Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not a cap wizard but yeah if its just though 3 guys I think so.  They have if I recall 30 million and change to play with.  Typically, I think you have to hold back about 5-6 million?  They have to keep each guy under 10 million.  When they signed Norman they staggered his contract where the salary escalated in year 2.  You can always do that there

On another note looks like Cleveland still trading, traded Shelton to NE.

I believe that's correct, SIP.  It would be sweet if we could trade Norman and his salary for HB and then draft a CB in this years draft.  Allen should find a way to trade for HB before another team does.  He's that good, IMO.

OTC has us at $31.9 million this year, $67 million next year (but that doesn't count Smith's contract) and $107 million in 2020 (again. doesn't include Smith).

So realistically you're probably looking at:

2018: $32 million

2019: $43 million (before any FAs and draft picks from this year kick in so realistically, that number is going to be VERY low in terms of cap space

2020: $92 million

Keep in mind, Jordan Reed, the Macs, Vernon Davis being gone next year (or restructured) would clear about $20 million off the 2019 cap, but still not a ton of $$. We're not in great cap shape next year at all, unless you move on from Norman and Reed then you've got some real $$ freed up.

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

OTC has us at $31.9 million this year, $67 million next year (but that doesn't count Smith's contract) and $107 million in 2020 (again. doesn't include Smith).

So realistically you're probably looking at:

2018: $32 million

2019: $43 million (before any FAs and draft picks from this year kick in so realistically, that number is going to be VERY low in terms of cap space

2020: $92 million

Keep in mind, Jordan Reed, the Macs, Vernon Davis being gone next year (or restructured) would clear about $20 million off the 2019 cap, but still not a ton of $$. We're not in great cap shape next year at all, unless you move on from Norman and Reed then you've got some real $$ freed up.

I think it imperative to trade both NOW if you can.

I know its a huge gamble but I think we should go all in on Robinson as long as there are no red flags on the health.

You don't find guys that big that can move the way he does, 4 flat 20-yard shuttle and 7 flat 3 cone drill, he moves extremely well for 6-3 220lbs.

Even if he lost a step due to the injury he's still an exceptional route runner.

51 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

To all the cap wizards. Could the Redskins sign Allen Robinson, Sheldon Richardson and resign Zach Brown to long term deals and still have enough for draft picks, and in season flexibility?

Contracts in the NFL aren’t like the NBA, teams can readjust other contracts to fit guys guaranteed money. Point is no one should wonder “if” it could be done, answering your question Yes they can. Just depends on 

1. If they want to 

2. How creative they need to be

In the NFL that’s why you see so many of these teams making moves when they have “no” money, cap hell is overblown by the fans not the teams

1 minute ago, bobandweave said:

n the NFL that’s why you see so many of these teams making moves when they have “no” money, cap hell is overblown by the fans not the teams

What teams are you referring to?  I don't see what you're seeing.

I think we have enough cap space to be aggressive without being reckless. We could do a couple of minimal restructures on existing contracts without deferring too much cap hit into future years. 

I think the real difficulty will be getting players in through the doors for visits before one of the cap space laden teams does.

I mean really, have the Browns not tried to trade for Bell yet.

11 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

What teams are you referring to?  I don't see what you're seeing.

Well look at the Eagles. Before free agency even started they had reported a million in cap space.

They got creative and added Michael Bennett and his massive contract regardless. Before that trade had anyone asked “could they add this deal”    The answer would come down to how much you understand the salary cap

If you simply think of it in simplistic terms like “the amount of money the team has equals what they can do” then you’d think No they can’t do that

Understanding that what a teams cap is currently sitting at plays no real part in what they can do because as long as the team wants to add the new player they can and they will find a way.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2018/03/nfl_rumors_vinny_curry_released_or_traded_eagles_updated_cap.html

That’s just one example. Comes down to if the team wants to sign someone and how creative they have to be to get it done

In other leagues that sort of thinking doesn’t apply. NFL contracts are flexible. Every year there is some team that seems to be in cap trouble who gets out of it. Not really new. Truth is if the team wanted anyone they could sign them no matter if they only had a million of room on the books

23 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I know its a huge gamble but I think we should go all in on Robinson as long as there are no red flags on the health.

You don't find guys that big that can move the way he does, 4 flat 20-yard shuttle and 7 flat 3 cone drill, he moves extremely well for 6-3 220lbs.

Even if he lost a step due to the injury he's still an exceptional route runner.

Th 2015 version of Robinson was one of the best receivers in the league.  If they are confident he can return to that form, he's by a mile my #1 want.  If that prospect is iffy and he's being offered crazy money, then I'd go Richardson.  Richardson to me is a #2.  Robinson a #1.  But I am intrigued by Richardson's potential and he started to emerge last season after injuries derailed him early in his career.   Crazy thing is both Robinson and Richardson are younger than Doctson.   

1 minute ago, bobandweave said:

Well look at the Eagles. Before free agency even started they had reported a million in cap space.

They got creative and added Michael Bennett and his massive contract regardless. Before that trade had anyone asked “could they add this deal”    The answer would come down to how much you understand the salary cap

If you simply think of it in simplistic terms like “the amount of money the team has equals what they can do” then you’d think No they can’t do that

Understanding that what a teams cap is currently sitting at plays no real part in what they can do because as long as the team wants to add the new player they can and they will find a way.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2018/03/nfl_rumors_vinny_curry_released_or_traded_eagles_updated_cap.html

That’s just one example. Comes down to if the team wants to sign someone and how creative they have to be to get it done

I watched KC get rid of their QB and best CB due to cap reasons.

The Rams just gave away 2 starting LB's who they drafted in the 1st round for a very good CB and an aging CB on the decline (basically swapped out LB's for CB's).

Philly trading for Bennett is a cap move so they can pick up about $5M in space after they cut Curry, also they unloaded Torrey Smith for cap reasons and they will need to unload more players before its all said and done.

I guess I see these moves differently than you do.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Th 2015 version of Robinson was one of the best receivers in the league.  If they are confident he can return to that form, he's by a mile my #1 want.  If that prospect is iffy and he's being offered crazy money, then I'd go Richardson.  Richardson to me is a #2.  Robinson a #1.  But I am intrigued by Richardson's potential and he started to emerge last season after injuries derailed him early in his career.   Crazy thing is both Robinson and Richardson are younger than Doctson.   

About these two receivers I will be shocked to see this team as players for either PR or AR. Lots of teams need receivers right now, I can count more then 10 without thinking too hard about it. Highly suspect AR goes to the 49ers and PR ends up in Chicago. Doubt the Skins are serious players for either because of the rule that teams have to spend a percentage of its salary cap. Hope if I’m right not too many of you get disappointed 

•  
    •  

Just spoke w/ an agent who expects Allen Robinson to get 10-12M / yr and 25M+ guaranteed if he hits FA. With the insane numbers being tossed around this offseason, and guys like Ty Hilton making 14M per, that sounds like a palatable deal for ARob

36 replies155 retweets309 likes

Retweet

10 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I watched KC get rid of their QB and best CB due to cap reasons.

The Rams just gave away 2 starting LB's who they drafted in the 1st round for a very good CB and an aging CB on the decline (basically swapped out LB's for CB's).

Philly trading for Bennett is a cap move so they can pick up about $5M in space after they cut Curry, also they unloaded Torrey Smith for cap reasons and they will need to unload more players before its all said and done.

I guess I see these moves differently than you do.

Not really sure you do, well maybe you do but I know I’m not wrong about what I’m saying

Pretending that teams have to release players they own because of the salary cap comes down to believing that the team has no choice in the matter which isn’t accurate or correct.

While you have only quoted one part of what I said originally what you missed was me clearly saying the first thing comes down to the team Wanting to make the move. 

If the Chiefs wanted to keep Alex they could have. Renegotiating contracts, adding years to free up space to other contracts, releasing players are just a couple of ways to keep Alex. Thing is they didn’t want to do that because they drafted Mahomes. Since they didn’t want to do those things they traded Alex.

Pretending that they were forced to move players is a choice. They didn’t have to do that. Which shows everyone that if

1. If a team wants a player 

2. If a team wants to be creative

they can do whatever they want. As for Marcus Peters he cost less then 2 million in the cap. Pretending they had to lose their best corner due to cap space is wrong. Not even close. He was traded because he was a head case to the Chiefs

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:
    •  
    •  

Just spoke w/ an agent who expects Allen Robinson to get 10-12M / yr and 25M+ guaranteed if he hits FA. With the insane numbers being tossed around this offseason, and guys like Ty Hilton making 14M per, that sounds like a palatable deal for ARob

36 replies155 retweets309 likes

Retweet

Let's do it, we can't go through another season with JAGS at WR, this is one situation where I would be fine taking a huge chance.

Besides QB, WR's are the riskiest draft choice you can make, let's get that done in free agency and use the draft for DL and RB.

Just now, bobandweave said:

Not really sure you do, well maybe you do but I know I’m not wrong about what I’m saying

Pretending that teams have to release players they own because of the salary cap comes down to believing that the team has no choice in the matter which isn’t accurate or correct.

While you have only quoted one part of what I said originally what you missed was me clearly saying the first thing comes down to the team Wanting to make the move. 

If the Chiefs wanted to keep Alex they could have. Renegotiating contracts, adding years to free up space to other contracts, releasing players are just a couple of ways to keep Alex. Thing is they didn’t want to do that because they drafted Mahomes. Since they didn’t want to do those things they traded Alex.

Pretending that they were forced to move players is a choice. They didn’t have to do that. Which shows everyone that if

1. If a team wants a player 

2. If a team wants to be creative

they can do whatever they want. 

Then why did they get rid of their best CB? 

They came out as an organization and said their focus was getting cap relief, they had no room to do anything.

8 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Then why did they get rid of their best CB? 

They came out as an organization and said their focus was getting cap relief, they had no room to do anything.

Just added the answer above.

Marcus Peters costs less then 2 million on the cap. For what the price of good CBs get in this league that is a hell of a bargain.

They moved him because

1. They thought he was a headcase

2. They were not going to sign him to another deal and this got them something for him

3. They didn’t want him on the team

Marcus Peters had nothing to do with cap space hell they just choose to move on. They said that because they lied, Peters was still on his rookie deal. What do you really expect them to come out and bury the guy after trading him? That wouldn’t have been a good look for them. 

4 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Just added the answer above.

Marcus Peters costs less then 2 million on the cap. For what the price of good CBs get in this league that is a hell of a bargain.

They moved him because

1. They thought he was a headcase

2. They were going to sign him to another deal and this got them something for him

3. They didn’t want him on the team

Marcus Peters had nothing to do with cap space hell they just choose to move on. They said that because they lied, Peters was still on his rookie deal. What do you really expect them to come out and bury the guy after trading him? That wouldn’t have been a good look for them. 

He's in his contract year and will be expecting a large payday after this season, one the Chiefs weren't going to pay him.

If he was such a head case then why would the coach of the year take him? 

1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

He's in his contract year and will be expecting a large payday after this season, one the Chiefs weren't going to pay him.

Yes and that says they had to move him for cap relief to you? Uh no. Doesn’t matter what a team says, the money was perfect for them to keep salary wise they choose to move on 

Just now, bobandweave said:

Yes and that says they had to move him for cap relief to you? Uh no. Doesn’t matter what a team says, the money was perfect for them to keep salary wise they choose to move on 

Yes it does, it tells me they don't feel he's worth the upcoming contract he will demand.

Why else would you get rid of a 25 year old stud CB?  You just watched them move him a year early before it was too late, I understand how that can throw you off.

10-12 is a fairly wide range for yearly salary but $25M guaranteed is an absolute bargain for Robinson, despite his injury. 5 year, $60M with $25M guaranteed? Done!!! I would offer him that in a heartbeat. That seems like agent speak trying to build some hype. Too good to be true.

7 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

If he was such a head case then why would the coach of the year take him? 

Hahaha okay so now this is getting funny to me. You say above that they moved him for cap relief, I point out to you that his contract is cheap and that answer was BS. Now you add this about the coach of the year nonsense. I like what Sean did in LA last year but he’s not the best coach in the league or close to that. Any good coach can see the tape and see that Peters is a good player on the field. That’s why the Rams traded for him. Let’s not start pretending head cases don’t move around the league now

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Yes it does, it tells me they don't feel he's worth the upcoming contract he will demand.

Of course that shows that. Didn’t argue it didn’t, I said that they got something for him moving him now vs next year for nothing. Your the one saying it was a cap hell saving move which is not right 

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Why else would you get rid of a 25 year old stud CB?  You just watched them move him a year early before it was too late, I understand how that can throw you off.

Nothing throws me off, what I’ve posted here is correct the issue is your thrown off believing the Chiefs moved him for cap relief which they didn’t do. I told you why they moved him lol

Archived