Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

Do we really have to vote for Ben Jealous?

Maryland Ds not even giving us a chance imo. Guys a complete outsider. Born in CA, went to college at Princeton or Havard .. worked or went to Howard Univ for a bit. His parents are MD school teachers but I dont know the connection. Did they move to MD the past decade?

Ill vote the D ticket ... but dang.

25 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Do we really have to vote for Ben Jealous?

Maryland Ds not even giving us a chance imo. Guys a complete outsider. Born in CA, went to college at Princeton or Havard .. worked or went to Howard Univ for a bit. His parents are MD school teachers but I dont know the connection. Did they move to MD the past decade?

Ill vote the D ticket ... but dang.

He went to Columbia and Oxford but teaches at Princeton. His parents met and lived in Baltimore and he supposedly spent summers there with his grandparents. 

I get the whole outsider sentiment.  I like most of what I've seen and heard from him the past few years tho. His criticism of Larry Hogan look to be on point.

I read that Jealous's parents (and grandparents) are from Maryland but his parents left the state for California back in the 60's because marriage was still  illegal for them in Maryland (his Mom is black and his Dad is white).

Hogan will probably get a large share of the registered Democrat vote but Jealous's super progressive platform might attract new first time voters.

It's an interesting race.

Edit: his site says he's lived in Maryland throughout his career as a civil rights leader and businessman. Not sure how vague that is...

2 hours ago, clietas said:

He went to Columbia and Oxford but teaches at Princeton. His parents met and lived in Baltimore and he supposedly spent summers there with his grandparents. 

I get the whole outsider sentiment.  I like most of what I've seen and heard from him the past few years tho. His criticism of Larry Hogan look to be on point.

I thought you had to live in an area for X amount of time to run for office.  Wasn't that an issue for the Mayor of Chicago who used to work at the White House?  I feel like I remember something along that line. 

29 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I thought you had to live in an area for X amount of time to run for office.  Wasn't that an issue for the Mayor of Chicago who used to work at the White House?  I feel like I remember something along that line. 

From what I read a person has to have lived and been registered to vote in Maryland for five years leading up to running for governor. 

Just looked on one of the Ben Jealous sites and it says hes been registered to vote in Maryland since 2012.

Archived