Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

MN has 2 senators up for election in the same year?  Is that allowed?  Or is one of them a special?

Also pointing out:  I'm pretty sure MN isn't exactly a tossup state.  Big D leads don;t necessarily mean Blue Wave.  

Smith replaced Al Franken and is running to keep the seat now.

I remember back when Franken and Norm Coleman ran against each other it was almost historically close (also Coleman was the incumbent), though that was about 10 years ago.  The previous governor was also a Republican back in 2010 and the current governor won his race by like .40 % in 2010.

55 minutes ago, Larry said:

MN has 2 senators up for election in the same year?  Is that allowed?  Or is one of them a special?

Also pointing out:  I'm pretty sure MN isn't exactly a tossup state.  Big D leads don;t necessarily mean Blue Wave.  

It isn't a tossup for Senate now but Hillary only won by 2 there. There are still competitive House races that would be helped by a blue wave.

From 538 today, re: Minnesota 

Janie Velencia: Minnesota is also interesting in that both of its Senate seats are on the ballot in November and will likely stay blue, but the state’s House seats are pretty competitive. The Classic version of the FiveThirtyEight forecast currently rates five of the state’s eight races as competitive (lean Republican, lean Democrat, likely Republican, likely Democrat or toss-up).

geoffrey.skelley: Yeah, Minnesota is basically the epicenter of competitive House races — it more or less has the largest share of races that are competitive of any state.

nrakich: Theoretically, Minnesota’s House delegation could be six Republicans and two Democrats or seven Democrats and one Republican. That’s, uh, a big range.

Completely unsurprising that Pence supports him, even outside of just regular partisan campaigning. He probably has the exact same beliefs. 

It's interesting...take this guy's quotes and replace "woman" or "female" with "person" or "human being" and the absurdity is immediately obvious.

8 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The criminalization of Christianity lmao 

their persecution complex is unreal 

C'mon man. What chance does a white Christian male have in the USA nowadays? The (wo?)man is always trying to keep them down!

Gawd I wish we could criminalize Christianity.  Then maybe we'd get some good **** done politically and me reading the Bible before bed would seem cool and rebellious instead of "oh my gawsh please have shorter names I'm too sleepy for this 6 syllable nonsens-" *falls asleep mid-verse*

I read an article that said most Secretary of States will recuse themselves from being in charge of the voting process or even step down from the position all together when they are running for Governor due to the conflict of interest of them being the person to oversee the election process.  Not Brian Kemp though. Nope.

37 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I read an article that said most Secretary of States will recuse themselves from being in charge of the voting process or even step down from the position all together when they are running for Governor due to the conflict of interest of them being the person to oversee the election process.  Not Brian Kemp though. Nope.

Well, in Kemp's defense, he'd be doing the exact same thing even if he wasn't running for office. 

After going way off course during the Kavanaugh fiasco, 538 is back to having interesting content. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-states-where-democrats-or-republicans-could-seize-full-control-of-government/

Republicans have full control of 26 state governments; Democrats have only eight.

But with 36 governorships and more than 6,000 state-legislative seats (across 87 different chambers) on the ballot this year, that could change in a big way after Nov. 6. Republicans’ overexposure in governorships and legislatures alike, plus the Democratic-leaning national environment, could give Democrats ample opportunity to not only break up existing Republican trifectas, but also secure trifectas of their own.

It goes on to list, in unhealthy but glorious detail, the states where (7) Dems or (5) Republicans could gain full control and/or Dems could break the other party's full control (8 states)

Archived