Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

I’d be very curious to see a graphic showing voter purges.  I’ve found info about the major increase of purges over the past few years, but it’s so widespread and ongoing that it’s tough to really get a handle on it (short of compiling my own spreadsheet, which probably ain’t happening, lol).  

Certainly seems like a huge issue that warrants more attention. 

39 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’d be very curious to see a graphic showing voter purges.  I’ve found info about the major increase of purges over the past few years, but it’s so widespread and ongoing that it’s tough to really get a handle on it (short of compiling my own spreadsheet, which probably ain’t happening, lol).  

Certainly seems like a huge issue that warrants more attention. 

The impression I get is that most of them are done in secret, without records. Makes it tougher for outside groups to conduct oversight on the process. 

At least I know that they used to work really hard at that. 

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

There a reason for the GOP's ever increasing interest in purging legitimate voters off of the voting rolls.

Since 1988, they've won the popular vote one time during a Presidential election.

1 time.

Eventually, even the electoral college won't save them if certain demographics continue to vote.

Great point. They know they're a dying breed. Try to stack the courts in their favor now while they still have a chance.

I suppose the good thing is that progress happens, no matter what. This is their last gasp. It will suck, but we'll endure I think. 

And before the 2014 midterm elections, Kemp warned Republicans in a closed-door session about Democratic registration efforts: “The Democrats are working hard. There have been these stories about them, you know, registering all these minority voters that are out there and others that are sitting on the sidelines. If they can do that, they can win these elections in November.”

This man is a racist and is anti-democracy.

Kemp’s apparent attempt to rig the Georgia election shows in microcosm how democracy in America is failing. Part of the reason this country is sliding into minority rule is structural — the Senate and the Electoral College both give disproportionate power to white rural voters. But the right is also gaming the system to try to stop changing demographics from changing the country's balance of political power.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/12/opinion/stacey-abrams-kemp-georgia-voters.html

Archived