Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

26 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm seeing patterns. You don't go up to Snyder and say "nice weather we're having today", you go up to Snyder and see what he's thinking about the weather and whatever he says you agree with. If not, you're going to be collecting unemployment sooner or later. 

Sounds about right.    Joe Gibbs being an exception because he was revered so much by him and Gibbs  I am guessing knew how to work him.

Just listened to Laconfora on Sheehan's podcast.  Some of his takes.  Manusky wasn't in the room during the Bowles conversation.    Dan has repaired his relationship with Gregg and has told him over the years he's not done with him yet.    JLC said Gregg would unlikely coach here with Bruce having final say on the roster and his coaching budget.  

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree, you are close if you have a QB.  They don't have one.  IMO they are deluded that Colt is the guy.  Will see.  I think the only think they get about Colt is his questionable durability.  Otherwise they think they can win with him.

I think the only person in the building who has faith in Colt is Jay. It carries some weight  but not much. They don't make that trade if they have faith in Colt. a) he's just about as old as Alex. b) He's proven to be more injury prone (c) He's never put up anything close to the best years of Kirk or even Alex. 

So I'll say what I've been saying all offseason. We're going to make a semi-big move for a QB. Maybe its somebody like Dalton or McCarron. Maybe its somebody like Siemian or Lynch, heck maybe even Bortles. Right now they're doing their Senior Bowl interviews and if you remember last year we went and talked to the QBs and I guess weren't impressed with the guys there because almost immediately after we went and traded for Smith. I don't think it would have to be on the same time scale but I can almost surely see it happening. 

But based on Bruces track record (McNabb and Smith at minimum) I'm not too confident in him making these decisions. And I'm not going to trick myself into thinking that he'd secede that judgement to Kyle for a first rounder. If he and Snyder like Sanchez2, they're getting him. That said, there is an option that we don't like the first rounders and Kyle likes a lower round pick who becomes our Dak Prescott. That's the only way I can see us getting a good QB in this draft. Unless, the stars align and the guy that Snyder likes is actually a good QB, but thats not likely

10 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I think the only person in the building who has faith in Colt is Jay. It carries some weight  but not much. They don't make that trade if they have faith in Colt. a) he's just about as old as Alex. b) He's proven to be more injury prone (c) He's never put up anything close to the best years of Kirk or even Alex. 

Bruce according to some is a big Colt guy, too.  But they question his durability.  Jay supposedly questions the durability, too. 

10 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

So I'll say what I've been saying all offseason. We're going to make a semi-big move for a QB. Maybe its somebody like Dalton or McCarron. Maybe its somebody like Siemian or Lynch, heck maybe even Bortles. Right now they're doing their Senior Bowl interviews and if you remember last year we went and talked to the QBs and I guess weren't impressed with the guys there because almost immediately after we went and traded for Smith. I don't think it would have to be on the same time scale but I can almost surely see it happening.

I think Dan's favorite place to involve himself over the years is QB.  Also, Dan tends to amp up his involvement when ticket sales tend to sag.  So in spite of Bruce-Jay's bravado about how close this team is to the big dance.  I suspect Dan has some doubts about it at the very least.    And Dan feeling the need to make a splash is when he gets dangerous.  You couple that thought with Jay and Bruce likely on a 1 year time frame to win or they are out.  It all smells like they are poised to make a win now move.  And if that move doesn't come from Dan it can come from Bruce.  They'd both be motivated to do something for different reasons.

Having said that I can't see it being Dalton or Flacco or anybody who will get paid more than 5 million a year because of all they are allocating as is to the QB in the draft.   So I think the splash is coming from the draft.

The problem they got though -- judging by what some beat guys are saying is this:

A.  They are very gun shy about making an RG3 type of deal and it backfiring

B.  You got 4-5 teams picking ahead of them who also need QBs

C.  The only splash Qbs are Murray and Haskins who might go top 5. 

These three points don't work together, something has to give.  What's brewing right now in that FO must be fascinating and wild.

5 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Also, it appears that through weeks 1-10, the Redskins were ranked 19th...Eagles were 17th and Dallas was 23rd. Through weeks 11-16, Skins were ranked 30th. That ranking coincides with when most of the injuries occurred.

It would be awesome to have an injury free year - then we could be ranked 19th from start to finish.  That would shut up the naysayers.

Good times are right around the corner!

Culture is the operative word. Absolutely zero culture exists within the franchise.

Smith was assisting in establishing an identity last year that could’ve led to a brand, followed potentially by a culture predicated on winning. 

Jay lacks big time in valuing culture, identity, and brand though. 

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Adam Caplan, national NFL reporter was on 106.7 a little while ago also saying he has heard how much the Redskins love and believe in Colt.

Yeah, that's just a ploy. They played their hand when they traded for Cousins. Since then Colt has done nothing to impress anybody. They're trying not to give an arm and a leg for a backup. 

2 hours ago, dyst said:

They qestion Colt’s durability? How about his skill? He isn’t that good. I hope to god they aren’t thinking he is starter material.

I’m sure Jay thinks the same way about Colt as the Shanahans felt about sexy rexy: Guy who can operate the offense efficiently and allow the play makers to make plays. Not great talent, but better than a more talented guy 

2 maim differences: 1. Colt gets hurt. A lot.  Wasn’t he even hurt in training camp last year or the year before?  

2. The Skins have no play makers to speak of as of now.  That could change if Guice comes back healthy, through the draft and FA.  But right now? Not so much...

I have no problem with them rolling with Colt next year to 6-10 or 5-11, as long as Bruce/Jay can’t use the excuse of either poor QB play from Colt or from whoever is his backup to stick around another year. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Adam Caplan, national NFL reporter was on 106.7 a little while ago also saying he has heard how much the Redskins love and believe in Colt.

They, especially Gruden is TOTALLY blind when it comes to Colt and a QB in general.  Lost, I tell you!

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Yeah, that's just a ploy. They played their hand when they traded for Cousins. Since then Colt has done nothing to impress anybody. They're trying not to give an arm and a leg for a backup. 

What are you talking about.  Cousins was a 4th round pick in 2012.

When the Redskins fired coach Marty Schottenheimer after the 2001 season despite winning eight of their last 11 games, they also fired then-vice president of player personnel John Schneider. Schneider landed on his feet and spent seven seasons in a successful front office with the Green Bay Packers before he was hired as executive vice president and general manager of the Seattle Seahawks in 2010. He assembled a team that has made the playoffs in six of the past seven years and won the Super Bowl after the 2014 season.

People who worked with Schneider in Washington say that even years after being fired, Schneider would talk about the five-year vision he and Schottenheimer shared for the franchise. The Redskins have won one playoff game since that season.

... For what it's worth, the Redskins have another 30-something talent in the building in director of college scouting Kyle Smith, a guy they need to keep around.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/38097/sean-mcvay-got-away-but-tough-to-fault-redskins

12 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

The criticism they have on Colt from what I hear centers on his durability though.  They seem to think if he's healthy, he's really good.  But I think the durability is what makes them think elsewhere.  Plus they knew losing Kirk would have some buzz kill with some fans so Alex is a big enough name to help deflect that.

I do think they will bring in another QB.  My point is I think we likely have scenarios

A. They go for some buzz driven move for a QB like trying to land Kyler Murray

B. They find a veteran or a 2nd-3rd rounder type:  Stidham, Grier, Rypien, etc to back up Colt.

The problem with this season among other things IMO is the backdrop of it.  Jay and probably Bruce too are on 1 year prove it deals.  And this team isn't set up well for that.  But if Bruce's Holy Grail for this team now is something like a 9-7 sneak into the playoffs as a wildcard (that seemed to be part of the message of his press conference) then he probably thinks he has a fighting chance to do it.  I think his luck will run out this time where he isn't even close to raising one of those 9-7 banners at Fedex. 

Though I have to say from a chaos standpoint it should be a fascinating off season.  How do Jay-Bruce deal with a 1 year run?  How do they try to bring a buzz to the team -- last year it was the Alex trade -- you'd figure this season they'd even be more compelled.  And typically Dan gets more emotionally and involved when in his mind there are issues -- we've already seen some of it.  For example what if Dan compels the FO to trade up for Kyler Murray.   Then you got Jay having to change his offensive system for a rookie in a must win year.  I am not saying that goes down.  But its so easy to come up with screwed up permutations that create chaos for better or worse.

Easy schedule or hard, i don't think it will matter.  Last time the Redskins really bottomed out was 2013 but naturally didn't own the first round pick to benefit from it -- if I recall easy schedule and they were relatively healthy, too

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

When the Redskins fired coach Marty Schottenheimer after the 2001 season despite winning eight of their last 11 games, they also fired then-vice president of player personnel John Schneider. Schneider landed on his feet and spent seven seasons in a successful front office with the Green Bay Packers before he was hired as executive vice president and general manager of the Seattle Seahawks in 2010. He assembled a team that has made the playoffs in six of the past seven years and won the Super Bowl after the 2014 season.

People who worked with Schneider in Washington say that even years after being fired, Schneider would talk about the five-year vision he and Schottenheimer shared for the franchise. The Redskins have won one playoff game since that season.

... For what it's worth, the Redskins have another 30-something talent in the building in director of college scouting Kyle Smith, a guy they need to keep around.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/38097/sean-mcvay-got-away-but-tough-to-fault-redskins

Anyone else just know Smith is not long for Ashburn? It'll only be a matter of time before Bruce feels threatened by him and forces him out too.

We can laugh at the Cowboys and they indeed got a weird FO, too. They got the intrusive owner but the dude is much more accessible and football smart than ours.   And they have no power hungry henchman ruling over there underneath the owner.   Cowboys personnel guy, Will McClay is considered one of the best in the business.  As much as I like Kyle, his name isn't one that people mention yet as one of the best in the business -- I like Kyle's potential though.  Cowboys have been killing it in the draft for awhile and clearly their trade for A.  Cooper is looking really smart.   They are highlighting the Cowboys 2nd rounders below, arguably that's the round where we've struggled though I think Guice is about to improve their lot in that round.

‘Hey B, you think I play this s— to go to Pro Bowls? Get it together. Get your head up. We’re trying to win rings. That’s what it is here.’

quote from Tom Brady to Brandon Spikes who was upset about not being chosen for Pro Bowl in 2012

THAT is what is missing here.  When your GM/President of Football operations justifies a poor season by saying things like just 2 games from playoffs or blames it on injuries or says that the team is close....that is all losers talk.   Trying to embellish or justify a losing season shows a person who does not have the ‘passion’.  

Passion is wanting to win so badly that you are disgusted, angry and so down that you cant get over the pain of losing that you do anything to get better.  You see this in Brady.  Michael Jordan.  Kobe Bryant.   Vince Lombardi.  This pain hangs on you forever and acts as the motivation to get better. 

Remember this the the next time Bruce talks about passion for winning while seen partying at an owners meeting or the Super Bowl.  

He just doesnt have the right stuff to be a winner regardless on how he spins the results and the only hope is for the results to be so bad that Dan comes to his senses and finds a person who has real, sincere passion to win and who also knows how to lay out a plan to get there.  

Boycott the games, training camp and refrain from buying any Redskins souvenirs for the next year.  

Please 

Archived