Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

11 minutes ago, TK said:

Jay's safe af.

At this point in time, I think Manusky is back as well. 

I am up and down about Jay but typically more up than down.  As for Manusky ditto but I do think for whatever reason his unit underachieved.  If they are both back -- ok with me.  I want one thing and that is Bruce gone.  But that doesn't sound like its going down listening to people who cover the team.

The beat guys seem to be speculating that Bruce convinced Dan that the 6-3 start is the real story and they were just unlucky and Dan plans to bring back the whole crew.

OK, ExtremeSkins help me out. I've been on Team Fire Jay for a while but have been apathetic towards Bruce Allen and felt the Allen hate was a little overboard.  Tell me, was Bruce Allen behind the decision to fire Joe Berry and promote Munusky?  If so, I feel this combined with Jay being Bruce's guy is preventing the team from making a coaching change soon. It could be why Gruden had the power to cut DJ today.

I might be late to the party but all of this combined with the DJ release would put me on the Fire Bruce Allen bandwagon.  I don't know man I just need Gruden to be gone after this year and now I'm thinking firing Bruce maybe the only way

58 minutes ago, hogdirty said:

OK, ExtremeSkins help me out. I've been on Team Fire Jay for a while but have been apathetic towards Bruce Allen and felt the Allen hate was a little overboard.  Tell me, was Bruce Allen behind the decision to fire Joe Berry and promote Munusky?  If so, I feel this combined with Jay being Bruce's guy is preventing the team from making a coaching change soon. It could be why Gruden had the power to cut DJ today.

I might be late to the party but all of this combined with the DJ release would put me on the Fire Bruce Allen bandwagon.  I don't know man I just need Gruden to be gone after this year and now I'm thinking firing Bruce maybe the only way

Look at the team record over Bruce's decade and compare it to Vinny. Then vomit. 

I want every single player, that is eligible for FA, to refuse to negotiate a contract and walk away this off season if Bruce is still here.  Dan would have to take notice of that. 

I also would like to see every single fan in the stands, next Sunday, wearing green.

Imagine what Dan would think if he only saw green in the stands?

Would this finally get Dan to notice how crappy this team has become?

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

Kirk Cousins did it.

What has Dan done?

absolutely-nothing-9lsn8w.jpg

Yeah, but, Kirk (or maybe his agent) gave the impression that they were negotiating for a bit.  I'm saying tell them "No Way!" and walk.  If they all flat out refuse to negotiate, it might make it to Dan.

On 12/24/2018 at 5:48 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Hopefully a bottom feeder team claims him off of waivers.  If he ends up in the NFC East, I think we got an Antonio Pierce part 2 issue to deal with.  Pierce left the team angry and knew the coaches and scheme backwards and forwards.  I recall a big game during the Gibbs tenure had Pierce calling out the play and told the Giant players to shift on a key third and goal play-- they stuffed the Redskins and went on a winning streak after that and ended up winning the SB that year.

Swearinger on Dallas, NY or Philly would be dangerous.  He's not a perfect player but like Pierce there probably isn't a player who knows both the offense (since he practices against it) and defense better on the squad or he's at least top 5. 

Hopefully he'll do well in AZ. I think he will. Collectively, the Cardinals have arguably the worst coaching staff in the league, but if there's a new HC coming in next season (and there should be), then things could change quickly.

On 12/24/2018 at 7:18 PM, hogdirty said:

I don't get how anyone could be apathetic about Bruce Allen when looking at his record, not just here but throughout his career. HIs record ON the field, and - here especially - his record off the field, with embarrassment after embarrassment. I wouldn't mind seeing Jay gone at all, but THAT's the guy you should be more apathetic about at this point. Not Bruce. 

If Bruce was hired as a contracts guy, and a maybe some other non-roster decision/non-PR role. He probably could have flourished. Our cap was a mess. Yeah, we did get screwed by Mara for the uncapped year thing. But they aren't handing out massive deals like they used to.

That said, he is the GM/Exec-GM/whatever..... and it's not working. You can't just undo that and make his role much smaller now. The dynamic would never work.

Personally, if they brought in a new GM/Team Prez and that guy said "I'm bringing in a few people, but we aren't just firing everyone today....we need to evaluate everything". I'd be cool with that. Maybe the scouts are bringing back great useful info and Bruce/Dan just ignore it for the player who "if he could just stay healthy" would be a game changer. I don't know.

This is an editorial about the Dolphins moving on from their personnel dude, lucky team if they adopt this approach.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article223556745.html

The prize, my friends, is winning the Super Bowl. That has never changed and has been said in this space before.

Except the Miami Dolphins clearly have not had that vision for many years, including during the last three years under Tannenbaum, Gase, and Grier.

I’ve gotten the feel that they keep their eyes on next week.

Next game.

Getting to the postseason maybe and then we’ll see.

I know this because if the prize was winning the Super Bowl, we’re not signing Jay Cutler when the starting quarterback goes down. Look, the starting quarterback goes down in training camp, your season is either over or saved improbably by the backup who has been on the roster.

You do not hire a mercenary who has never won anything for $10 million.

What? You’re saying my solution might lead to a terrible season if the backup on the roster isn’t up to the task? That’s true.

So fall back one year. Collect yourself. And resources.

And come back next year with more salary cap room and higher draft picks in order to do what in the future?

Yes, have enough draft capital to select a quarterback who can help you chase a what?

Yes, a Super Bowl.

I don’t think making the playoffs one year, on a sheer goof, and then falling off the table for a couple of years is a good formula.

I would rather endure one or two years of major pain (yes, losing) that gets me potentially great draft picks that become potentially great players. And then we roll two or three years down the road with some sustainability.

(Gase is fine with this because he’s my coach for a long time after that extension and we draft a great, young quarterback he can coach up. Oh, look, I’m remaking the Miami Dolphins in the image of the Steelers or Patriots.)

The Miami Dolphins need to start playing the long game. They’ve been playing the short term for too long by giving lip service to winning now while, you know, not actually winning now.

They’ve been making decisions to win a little now, maybe, at the expense of winning big later. And, by the way, the win-now decisions haven’t exactly worked out -- as proven by the decision to keep DeVante Parker at the trade deadline last October after that great Houston game he had.

That was the time to dump Parker for perhaps a fourth-round pick. Maybe a fifth.

The Dolphins kept him because they didn’t have enough bodies at receiver at the time and wanted to win with Parker this year. And what did that get them?

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is an editorial about the Dolphins moving on from their personnel dude, lucky team if they adopt this approach.

<Snip>

I feel like this is EXACTLY what we do.  Especially that part about goofing into the playoffs and then sucking again and somehow viewing that positively.

I wish we could take the approach for which the author advocates.  I want that more than anything.

Archived