Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

3 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

This is a reporter’s perspective who doesn’t care whether the Redskins win or lose. What DJ did is not conducive to winning. McNally now has one less player to talk to, which I imagine is pretty tough. 

Yep, I feel much better about the team's chances of winning now.  McNally just cares about a source, deep down he probably knows its an excellent move as to helping the Redskins win. 

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep, I feel much better about the team's chances of winning now.  McNally just cares about a source, deep down he probably knows its an excellent move as to helping the Redskins win. 

I really appreciate everything you provide to the Board, especially all of your interactions with Scot. Great stuff. 

I also agree cutting good players doesn’t help the short-term onfield product.  But distractions lead to losing and how can you win when a key player keeps creating distractions by talking to the media about in-house business when he’s repeatedly been asked not to.

This is why it’s hard to build through free agency rather than the draft.   Available Free Agents have traditionally not been made a top priority to resign by their previous team.  DJ has a lot of baggage and it’s showing up.

Also, he missed an enormous third down tackle on Sat.  Where was his personal accountability?

10 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

I really appreciate everything you provide to the Board, especially all of your interactions with Scot. Great stuff. 

I also agree cutting good players doesn’t help the short-term onfield product.  But distractions lead to losing and how can you win when a key player keeps creating distractions by talking to the media about in-house business when he’s repeatedly been asked not to.

This is why it’s hard to build through free agency rather than the draft.   Available Free Agents have traditionally not been made a top priority to resign by their previous team.  DJ has a lot of baggage and it’s showing up.

Also, he missed an enormous third down tackle on Sat.  Where was his personal accountability?

How much are the Skins paying you two? 

42 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

I think it was an overreaction by the team.  Suspend the dude.   The defense has a way to go still and likely has to let Norman, Z. Brown and Preston Smith to go in the off season.  Free safety is a mess.  They now want to go back to square one at strong safety too -- a position which has been a train wreck for over a decade.  So lets deal with a mess at that spot, too?  MLB, FS, SS, OLB, LG, WR, QB. 

So we are likely headed back to the bad defense we are used to -- with nobody at QB.  Digesting it maybe they are cool with crashing next season, a 3-13 type season -- if so I am cool with it, too.  Just to reboot and set themselves up for the 2020 draft.   But the team doesn't seems to roll that way so am doubting that's the master plan.

I am listening to Clinton Portis right now who if anything is close with Dan, is going on and on about it being a big mistake to release the dude.   It's not that I need to hear someone else's opinion to have my own opinion, I heard it go down, was listening to 106.7 live when he said it, my heart sank a little.

They are willing to put Reuben Foster on the payroll and deal with that mess but DJ Swearinger calls out the coaches so he's out with no initial punishment like a suspension or fine?   

This is as down as I ever been on the team's management -- not just because of this move but that in the sea of other stuff this off season. and how it all fits in together.  It's a depressing picture,

And I've been one of Jay's defenders and didn't love hearing DJ go into some detail about how Arians' practices were much more intense and serious.  And he's heard the same from players from other teams who arrive to DC saying its much easier and more laid back in DC.  I'd shrug that off but that's not the first rodeo of a comment like that from others.

Edit:  the one thing I'll say -- Portis mentioned the same thing if it were the case -- if there is more to the story than what's out there -- then it might get my attention.  But if it is what it seems -- I don't like it.

I've heard beat reporters say the reason why the team had no interest in bringing back Breeland is back they didn't like his whining.    If that's all we are talking about with Swearinger, reprimand him, or heck if you want to dump him, keep him and trade him.  

The decision makers of this team are making me so sick right now I'm glad it's the last game.  Apparently getting embarrassed on the field isn't good enough for us, had to go back to the well on misery.  Im sure Bingo Lewis is up to nothing, ask him to call plays for Jay. Jesus.

1 hour ago, Andre The Giant said:

This is a reporter’s perspective who doesn’t care whether the Redskins win or lose. What DJ did is not conducive to winning. McNally now has one less player to talk to, which I imagine is pretty tough. 

I sat next to him at the Giants game in 2016.  He, like everyone else on our side of the press box, had trouble containing himself when there was a big play (fake punt, Dunbar pick to end the game).

I talked to a few people that I read/listen to when I was there and asked them specifically what their thoughts are on the team winning/losing from a journalistic perspective.  Basically, it's easier to write blurbs about negative things and shove them into a larger opinion piece, but that's not really what the beat reporters do as much.  They love, however, writing about the team winning.  They're invested emotionally and from a business perspective more people are looking up the team when they're winning, so that's more traffic/followers, so that's more ad revenue.

They do care.

The point below by Bullock who typically is if anything laid back and reasonable is the operative one for me.  I get the idea of disciplining the dude and not accepting the behavior.  However, this team is not known for liking only boy scouts.  If it were, then I'd roll with the punches and think you know they tolerate nothing and that's just how it is.  but clearly, that's not the case.

I said this on another thread early this season which is I wondered how long DJ would last because the FO really prefers quiet dudes who don't rock the boat let alone challenge anyone.  I commented years back when RJF questioned the front office on something that his days were numbered and yep he ended up released.    Trouble with the law -- that's OK.  But making trouble with your mouth -- that's not allowed if the trouble is directed to higher ups.  And again, I get it to the extent of suspending the dude but releasing him -- too far IMO unless there is something else to the story.

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The point below by Bullock who typically is if anything laid back and reasonable is the operative one for me.  I get the idea of disciplining the dude and not accepting the behavior.  However, this team is not known for liking only boy scouts.  If it were, then I'd roll with the punches and think you know they tolerate nothing and that's just how it is.  but clearly, that's not the case.

I said this on another thread early this season which is I wondered how long DJ would last because the FO really prefers quiet dudes who don't rock the boat let alone challenge anyone.  I commented years back when RJF questioned the front office on something that his days were numbered and yep he ended up released.    Trouble with the law -- that's OK.  But making trouble with you mouth -- that's not allowed if the trouble is directed to higher ups.  And again, I get it to the extent of suspending the dude but releasing him -- too far IMO unless there is something else to the story.

Why did they signed him in the first place ?, They knew who he was !

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's what I was wondering. So players can:

- Complain about practice intensity.

- Being charged with assault/domestic violence.

- Publicly criticize the team.

- Publicly criticize teammates.

- Publicly criticize fans.

They'll get away with this easily.

But they have to know that you just cannot publicly criticize the coaches.

I'm wondering if some are gonna do the same thing as Swearinger so they get an easy way out of here?

7 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

That's what I was wondering. So players can:

- Complain about practice intensity.

- Being charged with assault/domestic violence.

- Publicly criticize the team.

- Publicly criticize teammates.

- Publicly criticize fans.

They'll get away with this easily.

But they have to know that you just cannot publicly criticize the coaches.

I'm wondering if some are gonna do the same thing as Swearinger so they get an easy way out of here?

I get wanting to enforce an unwritten rule, i don't get not enforcing other ones.

Considering the tweet-instagram posts we are seeing, there is a point to the tweet below, not so much the Jay side of his point but the overall point about what does Dan do next.  I think the Swearinger release adds to the backdrop.

As I am digesting this, I am feeling a little better but purely from one stand point.  One of my first reactions was with all this team's holes, they are creating another one?  And at a position this FO has really struggled to get right in the past.  But now thinking about it some more maybe more moves like this takes us to the promised land (and I think they do it purely accidentally) a 3-13 season or so to position themselves for Tua or Fromm.

I've been scrambling on the draft thread thinking of ways to fill the team's multiple holes.   But my thought on it now, screw that I am going to chill, because I am not expecting them to figure things out this off season.  The secondary is already questionable.  So they have no Swearinger, Norman likely will be let go.  Nicholson seems to be a mess.  Clinton-Dix is playing poorly.  

So there is a chance within 1 year they lose:  Fuller, Breeland, Norman, Swearinger and maybe even Nicholson.  Wow.   Then they likely let Preston go.  Zach Brown looks gone.  So they have a lot of holes to fill.  And you got a cheap GM who likes to bottom shop in FA coupled with being hamstrung with 21 million for a QB who unlikely plays.

Finlay likes to say that the FO (presuming he means Bruce) operated really arrogantly last off season and was very chesty behind the scenes.  If the narrative seems to be hey we were  6-3 enough said.  And Bruce like last year goes hey getting all these people off of injured reserved is liking getting a whole bunch of FAs -- I think we got the perfect storm for them to involuntarily walk into a crash season that I think this team desperately needs. 

And while I've been negative on Bruce -- I was actually pretty upbeat about this roster heading into the season and where they were headed.  I predicted wins almost every week.  But at this moment in time, I think the team takes a serious step back next season.  Maybe I'll calm down in a day or two but its how am feeling right now.   I think even if Alex returns, we have one of the weakest QB situations in the league.   We arguably have the weakest passing weapons in the league.  And the defense clearly was overrated coming into the season and indications right now its getting weaker with likely Swearinger, Norman, Preston being gone. 

They don't have enough picks and cap space to make this team a contender next year IMO or that's at least how I feel right now -- maybe i'll change my mind later.  And maybe that's a good thing.    You take a step back and bring back the same crowd in the FO -- I think it will make fan unrest this year look like child's play in comparison to what that would bring

The DJ cut creates 4.5mil in cap space, and they can hide behind an easy excuse.

Looks like Bruce and Jay are safe. Also looks like we are going to pay decent money for another QB. 

Norman, Brown, MCGee gone is another 17mil

Long Term deal for Scherff probably snags another 3-4mil in 2019

Dont need both Reed and Davis. Get rid of one, another 5-6 mil.

That get us to 40mil in space with huge contracts still on the books for Smith, Trent and Kerrigan. Also sitting with 4 picks in the top 97 of the draft. Thats where we're heading imo.

On 12/18/2018 at 4:49 PM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I agree...and sadly I think the "let's be heard" mentality isn't going to get us very far. 

Turning in your fan card (something I recall a group doing back in 2009 has less leverage now than it did. For one, the organization itself has already admitted that sellouts don't exist anymore (much different than what we were hearing 8-10 years ago. Secondly, that's just a drop in the bucket when it comes to revenue, etc. I'm sure Snyder hates the negative perception, but the new stadium that's coming in the relative short-term will cure that for a while. With a new location, smaller venue, etc. it is going to sell out.

So, I just don't think we have as much control over any of this. Fans like to think the Redskins care if we walk away, but they don't really. 

If somebody wanted to reboot the ole Fan Card. I have a copy from those days. Would need someone to recreate it with new text from Vinny to Bruce.

I'd do it again, but I already signed up for my "Apathy Card" and don't really care enough to put the effort in.

skinsfancard (2018_02_09 19_32_16 UTC).jpg

43 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

The DJ cut creates 4.5mil in cap space, and they can hide behind an easy excuse.

Looks like Bruce and Jay are safe. Also looks like we are going to pay decent money for another QB. 

Norman, Brown, MCGee gone is another 17mil

Long Term deal for Scherff probably snags another 3-4mil in 2019

Dont need both Reed and Davis. Get rid of one, another 5-6 mil.

That get us to 40mil in space with huge contracts still on the books for Smith, Trent and Kerrigan. Also sitting with 4 picks in the top 97 of the draft. Thats where we're heading imo.

The thing is though Bruce doesn't like to shop for marquee FAs and of late he doesn't seem that into keeping his young players either when they hit FA.  So am guessing Preston gone.  Crowder gone.  Who knows about Scherff but he's here for at least one more year.  so that should open more holes.  They have so many picks to fill those holes and FA is pretty much borderline non-existent for this team so I think they have way more holes than they can handle this off season. 

So you got QB is a mess.  WR is a mess.  MLB looks like they are starting over.  LG is a big need.  TE might even be a need because of cap reasons both Reed and Davis might be gone.  FS-SS a mess.  CB lack depth.  

That's a lot of holes to fill for our doofus arrogant GM.  So I'd put money that he thinks they have it all figured out but they don't.

Part of my frustration with this team is they have built this as a 8-8 team stuck in NFL purgatory where they'd struggle to get a franchise QB type or top 5 difference makers.  

Now, I am starting to think Bruce might stumble into a bad season like that.  And I think they'd need that to lose the battle to win the war.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this FO is tanking on purpose.  I think they just might walk into it via their own maneuvering.   Chris Russell just said he thinks Dan was sold by Bruce that the 6-3 start is the true reflection of the team so they are close.  So by no means do I think Bruce on purpose would reboot since he's likely selling Dan that you can't break up the band when they are so close to the promised land.  However, I've never been this confident that Bruce will work his way to a 4-12 record unintentionally.  Unless, Bruce overhauls his typical approach to FO and how they build the pro roster.

I've made the point many times -- I think they are really good at college personnel but so so to bad at pro personnel.  I think Bruce has it in him to screw up pro personnel to the degree this off season where college personnel can't make up ground.  And instead of getting frustrated by it, I'll embrace it.  Shortly, I'll start making a list of cheap safety scrub options in FA and start embracing the suck. 

The franchise record for losses is 13.  We need to tie or do worse than that in 2019 and in front of a mostly empty stadium. Also, whatever fans are in the stadium should be the opponents fans.

That and only that, will get Dan to take notice and make changes.    That doesn't mean Dan will make the right changes but we would at least get rid of the crap we got now.

5 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

What the front office did was worse.

Absolutely horrific asset management

Hopefully a bottom feeder team claims him off of waivers.  If he ends up in the NFC East, I think we got an Antonio Pierce part 2 issue to deal with.  Pierce left the team angry and knew the coaches and scheme backwards and forwards.  I recall a big game during the Gibbs tenure had Pierce calling out the play and told the Giant players to shift on a key third and goal play-- they stuffed the Redskins and went on a winning streak after that and ended up winning the SB that year.

Swearinger on Dallas, NY or Philly would be dangerous.  He's not a perfect player but like Pierce there probably isn't a player who knows both the offense (since he practices against it) and defense better on the squad or he's at least top 5. 

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hopefully a bottom feeder team claims him off of waivers.  If he ends up in the NFC East, I think we got an Antonio Pierce part 2 issue to deal with.  Pierce left the team angry and knew the coaches and scheme backwards and forwards.  I recall a big game during the Gibbs tenure had Pierce calling out the play and told the Giant players to shift on a key third and goal play-- they stuffed the Redskins and went on a winning streak after that and ended up winning the SB that year.

Swearinger on Dallas, NY or Philly would be dangerous.  He's not a perfect player but like Pierce there probably isn't a player who knows both the offense (since he practices against it) and defense better on the squad or he's at least top 5. 

Well if jay is gone....

34 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Well if jay is gone....

This move I think makes it clear Jay isn't going anywhere sounds like the only wildcard is Manusky.

59 minutes ago, wit33 said:

NFL is crazy, Titan fans are excited about their team and Skins fans are ready to blow it up lol. Skins outplayed the titans. 

Not saying it’s right or wrong, but wow, perception is reality. 

The season has been a weird and at times depressing ride even more so than usual for the team.   

I think going back to ground zero at FS which is seems like the team had to do was a little depressing but strong safety, too?  Wow.   We got a long off season shopping list now.  But like I've been saying this might be a blessing in disguise.

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This move I think makes it clear Jay isn't going anywhere sounds like the only wildcard is Manusky.

Jay's safe af.

At this point in time, I think Manusky is back as well. 

Archived