Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree -- though the season is young so we will see.  I think they will bounce back -- and this ends somewhere around 9-7-8-8.

I think they'll either beat GB next week or they will compete very hard and almost beat GB.  Because that's the trend: bad game, good game, bad game, good game.  They have enough talent to be 9-7 or 10-6, even with the receiver issues.  It's not a special, NFC Championship roster, but it's a good enough roster to win games. If you're smart about it, you can get enough production out of Peterson/Reed/CT/Crowder with a sprinkle of Richardson and Vernon Davis.  That's enough weapons, maybe not in the traditional sense, but it's enough to have some success. 

I agree, and I was saying all off-season, I had no idea why they traded for a 34 year old QB and then didn't stock up on better weapons on the outside to help him succeed.  We saw NOTHING from Doctson to suggest he was going to "get it."  Richardson has been hurt and impossible to evaluate based on the system and QB he played with, so you didn't know what you were getting there.  All the rest of the WRs on the roster were JAGs.  I don't know what Sims and Quinn could have turned into, but one is an UFA and the other is the last pick in the draft, and it's risky to pin your hopes to that. 

You and I disagree on the coaching.  I don't think they have the coaching to do better than 8-8, and I think it's more likely 7-9 or worse.  I hope I'm wrong, but that's for a different thread. 

17 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I agree, and I was saying all off-season, I had no idea why they traded for a 34 year old QB and then didn't stock up on better weapons on the outside to help him succeed.  We saw NOTHING from Doctson to suggest he was going to "get it."  Richardson has been hurt and impossible to evaluate based on the system and QB he played with, so you didn't know what you were getting there.  All the rest of the WRs on the roster were JAGs.  I don't know what Sims and Quinn could have turned into, but one is an UFA and the other is the last pick in the draft, and it's risky to pin your hopes to that. 

well, unfortunately if you're actually going to stick to a philosophy of building using the draft you have to let it play out

I think it's possible that Bruce didn't want Jackson back BECAUSE Cousins didn't want him back. It seems like Bruce was looking for creative ways (outside of paying him) to retain Cousins and get him to want to sign here. He may have thought that replacing the WR was a way to do that a skim a couple bucks off the final price. 

16 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think it's possible that Bruce didn't want Jackson back BECAUSE Cousins didn't want him back. It seems like Bruce was looking for creative ways (outside of paying him) to retain Cousins and get him to want to sign here. He may have thought that replacing the WR was a way to do that a skim a couple bucks off the final price. 

I never saw any indication that Snyder or Allen ever wanted to retain Cousins for anything not far under market value.  Allen is historically cheap. You had to keep either Jackson or Garcon.  Letting them both go was idiotic.  

4 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

The "home" crowd was as much a referendum on Snyder/Allen as I've seen in years. I mean, we're 1-0, and our home opener nets only 52k in attendance? A 20k drop off from just last season's opener.

Can't say it isn't well deserved.

All this tells me is the fanbase isn't that great then. Teams like Buffalo, Cleveland, etc. have stunk worse than us for years and still go and support their team. You don't think that the players looked up and saw how pathetic that was? And that it didn't have some sort of affect on the emotion and outcome of the game? I mean congrats to everyone who stopped supporting Snyder and putting money into his pocket, but unfortunately, you are just showing the guys who are here NOW that you don't give a damn. None of these guys were part of all the shenanigans that went on before them.

I have never seen a bigger overreaction based off ONE game. We are 1-1. We go 3-6 I'll be right there with everybody with the pitchforks. We go 8-8 and Bruce/Jay have to go. But right NOW, we aren't there yet. So some of these comments around the board are straight up overreactions. Hopefully the boys get it together this week, because last week was not pretty.

I mean next week we beat Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay and then what? One game overreactions especially in a league as uneven as the NFL from week to week is so ridiculous to me.

8 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I have never seen a bigger overreaction based off ONE game. We are 1-1. We go 3-6 I'll be right there with everybody with the pitchforks. We go 8-8 and Bruce/Jay have to go.

8-8 looks pretty good to me now given the loss of Cousins.  I think Jay would deserve a raise if he finishes 8-8, Bruce, on the other hand, deserves to be fired because he is really inept.  Somebody needs to be fired why not fire Bruce, everyone wants Bruce gone but many of us would like to see how Jay would do with a GM who could bring in better talent.

13 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

All this tells me is the fanbase isn't that great then. Teams like Buffalo, Cleveland, etc. have stunk worse than us for years and still go and support their team. You don't think that the players looked up and saw how pathetic that was? And that it didn't have some sort of affect on the emotion and outcome of the game? I mean congrats to everyone who stopped supporting Snyder and putting money into his pocket, but unfortunately, you are just showing the guys who are here NOW that you don't give a damn. None of these guys were part of all the shenanigans that went on before them.

I have never seen a bigger overreaction based off ONE game. We are 1-1. We go 3-6 I'll be right there with everybody with the pitchforks. We go 8-8 and Bruce/Jay have to go. But right NOW, we aren't there yet. So some of these comments around the board are straight up overreactions. Hopefully the boys get it together this week, because last week was not pretty.

I mean next week we beat Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay and then what? One game overreactions especially in a league as uneven as the NFL from week to week is so ridiculous to me.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there is a lot more to do and a lot of other ways to spend your time in the metro DC area versus Buffalo, NY or Cleveland, OH.

35 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

I never saw any indication that Snyder or Allen ever wanted to retain Cousins for anything not far under market value.  Allen is historically cheap. You had to keep either Jackson or Garcon.  Letting them both go was idiotic.  

Yes, my point was that maybe Bruce was thinking that letting Cousins feel like he was playing GM a little was an angle to ultimately spend less money to keep him? Or, it could be something he could refer back to ("See...we even let our 1,000 yard WRs walk because Kurt wanted us to...then he still didn't sign!") for damage control. 

21 hours ago, Makaveli said:

3) How well Cousins performs in Minnesota

If Cousins wins the Super Bowl, Bruce gets fired?  I like this scenario.

26 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

8-8 looks pretty good to me now

After yesterday, I made a $20 bet with a fellow Redskins fan as to how many wins we'd have.  We set the over/under to 6.5, and I took the under.

1 hour ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I don't think the lack of an audience was an overreaction to one game.  The Redskins reduced the secondary market's availability of tickets for resale, and began selling them, themselves.  Which artificially inflates the prices of individual game tickets, while preserving the facade of buying season tickets as 'saving' money.  Analysis was done a few years back showing the Redskins overpriced their season tickets to such a degree, that buying similar tickets (for all 8 games) would save the consumer money over purchasing season tickets.

2 hours ago, bobandweave said:

We have been rebuilding since Snyder got here in the 90s. You would think that at some point he would blame himself and leave. He’s too stupid to do that

I do wonder if Snyder and Allen look at themselves in terms of running the franchise and consider themselves good at what they do. Like how many decades does it take for you to get it right? Allen has been here 8 years and the team has very little improvements if at all. His ass will probably still continue to use the cap hit as an excuse. Just quit already and owner needs to sell.

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Because we have never actually rebuilt. 

That's part of the problem. The future for this team just does not look good because our ownership/management does NOT have the vision to see years down the road. We are always trying to play catch up. Plugging one hole while another leaks.

We had a functioning offense but our defense lacked. So we try to fix our defense, yet we screw over the offense by getting rid of our wide receivers. We decide to NOT sign Kirk, yet we bring in a guy who plays relatively the same and is older. By the time we we build a capable team around him, we will need a new QB to replace an old Alex Smith.

By the time these fools figure out a way to fix our secondary, it will probably be another 5 or 6 years and by then we will have wasted Allen, Payne, Matt Ioannidis and crew's youth. Many of which will be older or gone in free agency. 

Just seems like a clown show and it's unbelievable this fool bought the team at 38 years of age. GOD, why!!!!!!

When other teams can turn it around with smart moves in a matter of one maybe two seasons over and over again like the Eagles and Rams have done and they can’t get it right after 20+ years for the betterment of the franchise it’s time to point the finger at themselves. Not pointing at someone else or some rule that means nothing today.

Snyder and Bruce say they love  this team well it’s time they showed it and get away from the team. Let smarter men handle this so the team can celebrate and win again. It’s what is needed more today then anything else Snyder can do. If you love something set it free. If Snyder and Bruce are really just wolves in sheep clothing then continue on ruining the franchise year after year and maybe one day the truth will be told. Maybe they don’t want to win? Maybe that’s the missing piece here we don’t understand. Because what they have done is ruin the brand in more ways then anyone else has done in my NFL lifetime. 

Its insanity to think they will ever get it right. After so many years of getting it wrong thinking it will turn around suddenly is just silly

I would look to get out of Smith’s contract immediately. If you have to trade a mid rounder to do it so be it. Same for Norman. We need to completely rebuild like the Rams, Jags, Bears, Jets did. Draft one of the top pass rushers in 2019, suck that year with our new regime, then select the QB of our future in 2020. We will be sitting upon a crapload of cash that year and can make moves to contend.

6 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

I would look to get out of Smith’s contract immediately. If you have to trade a mid rounder to do it so be it. Same for Norman. We need to completely rebuild like the Rams, Jags, Bears, Jets did. Draft one of the top pass rushers in 2019, suck that year with our new regime, then select the QB of our future in 2020. We will be sitting upon a crapload of cash that year and can make moves to contend.

I’m not sure if they can get out of Smith’s contract. I think with the guarantees, we have to pay all of that regardless of whether he’s here or not.

Also, of the miriad of problems, Smith was at least 10th on the list on Sunday. And he played well in week 1. 

Archived