Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

On 8/29/2018 at 1:14 PM, dyst said:

Jets get a 3rd round pick for Teddy Bridgewater 5 months later. A guy who hasn’t really played in 2+ years.

Allen got nothing for RG3 or Cousins. 

Allen sucks.

It's because Bridgewater hasn't played in so long that he was able to garner trade offers...he got to show that 1) he's healthy and 2) he looks like a viable option to have as a #2. It's the same reason the Ravens are getting some interest from other teams for RG3 now.  Harbaugh is talking Griffin up like a mf'er right now because of it. They wanna trade him before tomorrow.

Allen's **** up with Cousins is enough, though, to criticize him lol...and I have kicked Jennifer Lawrence out of bed before, thank you. She tried climbing in next to me wearing a Cowboys jersey...

giphy.gif

I was gonna post this a day or so ago, but @Voice_of_Reason wreaked havoc on my focus. I like the fact that Allen has been out of the limelight, otherwise he would do nothing but reinforce the perceptions of his own ineptitude. It's long past time to move on, and hopefully he'll be able to enjoy life in that new pad he bought out in LA last year. Just get him far away from this team, and keep it that way.

• 3 weeks later...

Season is still early, but the team looks like it has in the past: inconsistent.

Gruden is in his fifth year. Allen, his ninth. It doesn't look like this formula is going to work.

I would hope after this year that he is judged on a combination of the following:

1) The results of this season

2) How well Smith performs

3) How well Cousins performs in Minnesota

I want this team to win. I do not see it happening with the current leadership.

https://twitter.com/andypollin1/status/1041431568370360321

About 25,000 short of a sellout. Bruce Allen told @WTOP Friday that he was confident of a sellout because of a pep rally at FedEx on Thursday night. Did anyone you know of attend that? Maybe McCloughan’s grandmother

The fanbase is growing apathetic.

This Steinberg article I think brings it home.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/09/17/sunday-was-a-bad-bad-bad-day-for-the-redskins/?utm_term=.6aef939d2014

I am watching Total Access and features coming up on D. Jax's hot start and ditto as to Kirk.  Bruce/Dan are unlikely enjoying their Monday.  At least according to one beat guy the FO (I presume Bruce) disagreed with Jay about bringing D. Jax back.  Bruce is also the dude in an interview who shrugged off letting Garcon and D Jax go saying he wishes them the best but they got a lot of production right back in the Pryor-Quick signings at the time.

Switching to Dan, I am reading a book called Big Game which talks about the NFL owners, its an entertaining read.  The author met Dan and asked owners about him, too -- among other subjects in the book.   In sum, he said that Dan isn't liked by most of the other owners sans Jerry Jones and he comes off awkward and a bit insecure in social settings.   I am bringing that up because some say Bruce's thing with Dan is he's a social crutch for him in league meetings and with fellow owners.  And Bruce is actually liked within those circles among the owners. 

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In sum, he said that Dan isn't liked by most of the other owners sans Jerry Jones and he comes off awkward and a bit insecure in social settings.   I am bringing that up because some say Bruce's thing with Dan is he's a social crutch for him in league meetings and with fellow owners.

I can see that, so Bruce is Dan's wingman in case he needs to use big words.

Reminds me of these guys.

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And Bruce is actually liked within those circles among the owners.

Let's be honest, is there anyone who actually dislikes the neighborhood garbage man? That's basically what Bruce does, he takes their trash and lets the good players leave. More of a recycling facility, actually.

10 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

PTI did a segment tonight about our beloved Redskins in which they said the team "did not announce a sellout for the first time in more than 50 years".  Historic stuff going on in DC.  ?

Im sure that’s a bogus stat anyway, there have been plenty of games before that didn’t sell out. Just more deceit and blowing rainbows up peoples asses by the higher ups of the franchise 

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

At least according to one beat guy the FO (I presume Bruce) disagreed with Jay about bringing D. Jax back. 

This pretty much proves that Cooley is a mouthpiece for the organization, because I'm 99% certain he was the one who started the whole "Kirk didn't like Garcon or DJax and he wanted them gone so the FO acquiesced" narrative.

56 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

This pretty much proves that Cooley is a mouthpiece for the organization, because I'm 99% certain he was the one who started the whole "Kirk didn't like Garcon or DJax and he wanted them gone so the FO acquiesced" narrative.

Yeah the Jay wanted D Jax back was said by multiple people so I think there is some validity to it.  I recall D. Jax himself said Jay was texting him right before FA.  As for Cooley, he speculated that Kirk might not want those two back because of their strong personalities but doubt that was true but who knows. 

Cooley though in his own way has hammered Bruce without calling him out by name -- he likes for example to say the pro personnel/FA department of the FO is bad at what they do.  That's Bruce domain from what I hear.    Chris Russell more than anyone seems to have a source to the FO and has been right about a lot -- his description is Bruce isn't involved with the draft for the most part -- his thing is FA/contracts.  Russell also recently said (as many suspect) Doug is mostly a figurehead and spokesperson for the team -- and has very little involvement in actual personnel. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Chris Russell more than anyone seems to have a source to the FO and has been right about a lot -- his description is Bruce isn't involved with the draft for the most part -- his thing is FA/contracts.  Russell also recently said (as many suspect) Doug is mostly a figurehead and spokesperson for the team -- and has very little involvement in actual personnel. 

The way I read it, Bruce does FA/Contracts, Doug and company do the draft.  From what I could glean, Doug IS involved in the draft, at least in collecting opinions from coaches and scouts, managing internal negotiations, helping set the board, and then it sounded like he ran the draft room.  For example, Jay said he wanted to pick Quinn in the 5th round, and Doug told him to hold his horses and they got him with the last pick.  (That's not a knock on Jay, btw. Just an example of what seems like Doug was in control of the room.)

I also think the only reason Bruce doesn't have an input into the draft is because he doesn't want to, and he DID have input when it came to Griffin.

However, I'm all about holding 1 person accountable, and Bruce is the President of Football Ops, and so he's ultimately responsible for the strategy, the setup, and the results.  Which are, at best, "meh" to "yuck."

The strategy of going into this year with the same roster that was hurt most of last year, unproven, with one "major" FA addition, and a few rookies as the only immediate upgrades was flawed from the start.  And I put that squarely on Bruce.

Jay should be able to maximize talent more consistently than he does, but it's Bruce's responsibility to put the team together which can, at least in year 5 of a HC's tenure, compete for a division and NFC Championship, and I don't think he did that. 

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I’ve been saying for the past four years that Bruce Allen is a cancer and should be fired immediately. Hopefully this is the year where Snyder steps up admits his wrongs and fires Allen. I doubt it since Snyder is so clueless but I’m hoping

THIS. Allen ruined what could have been a contending team. Believe me: if we had Kirk, one of DJax/Garçon, and Fuller in the slot right now instead of Smith and PRich we would be 2-0 and look like a playoff squad.

58 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The way I read it, Bruce does FA/Contracts, Doug and company do the draft.  From what I could glean, Doug IS involved in the draft, at least in collecting opinions from coaches and scouts, managing internal negotiations, helping set the board, and then it sounded like he ran the draft room.  For example, Jay said he wanted to pick Quinn in the 5th round, and Doug told him to hold his horses and they got him with the last pick.  (That's not a knock on Jay, btw. Just an example of what seems like Doug was in control of the room.)

From what beat guys have said at least, this is over the top in terms of his role -- especially as to your point in terms of him setting up the board.  From what I've heard Kyle sets up the board -- not Doug.  Doug himself has talked about him being more or less a facilitator with the draft -- letting everyone have their say, and they rank the players not him, etc. 

What you are citing is Doug gloating in a good natured way about how Jay liked Quinn in the 5th and hey lucky us we got him in the 7th.  ? Another beat guy by the way later said it was the 6th round when Jay pushed for Quinn.  But we don't know what happens that Doug isn't willing to gloat about in retrospect -- and I'd bet there is plenty.  Makes sense in any draft room so the victory lap stories will be the ones shared not the others.   Reasons being stuff leaks out later as for Jay specifically I recall some say he loved Dalvin Cook and Reuben Foster.  They drafted neither one. Cooley said Jay was the guy pounding the table for Ionnaidis.   Doug kicks in with making tie breaker votes -- and Bruce apparently is a tie breaker voice as well.

But Russell specifically saying Doug has very little power/input in personnel got my attention for 2 reasons:

A. Russell is easily the guy who covers the team who thinks the highest of Doug.  He typically is looking for any reason to pump up his role in the past versus play it down.

B.  Russell has been on fire for two years running as to the goings on in the FO.  He broke the Scot story among other things.

I also think the only reason Bruce doesn't have an input into the draft is because he doesn't want to, and he DID have input when it came to Griffin.

As for RG3, the only input I recall hearing he had is he was the driving force as to the compensation.  supposedly, Shanny thought three first rounders and a 2nd rounder was too much whereas Bruce and Dan thought it was a fair offer.

However, I'm all about holding 1 person accountable, and Bruce is the President of Football Ops, and so he's ultimately responsible for the strategy, the setup, and the results.  Which are, at best, "meh" to "yuck."

Agree -- though the season is young so we will see.  I think they will bounce back -- and this ends somewhere around 9-7-8-8.   But I don't think they built a special roster.  And I think the Kirk contract mishaps coupled with gloating about how Alex is a serious upgrade (national and beat reporters have said the FO has told them that -- heck Jay himself said something similar) comes off nauseating to me -- and that prediction is off to a rough start.  But will see, I hope they end up right.  I got my doubts.  If people lose their jobs for it -- its well deserved. More than anything, its stunning to me that they didn't load up Alex (with so many reputations/jobs supposedly at stake) with some real weapons to maximize his skills -- to me its a perfect display of their weird arrogance and general incompetence in FA. 

They got to scramble now to give Alex some receivers?  Wow.   Bruce again is the same dude who said they will be fine when D. Jax and Garcon left because if you add up Quick and Pryors numbers they are close enough to D-Jax/Garcon's production.

I do think the season like prior ones will be a roller coaster.  Fun ups.  Bad downs.  So a general positive-negative vibe will change from week to week.  I don't think they are down for the count.  But my take on Bruce's job isn't purely dependent on their performance this season.   I've seen enough. 

Archived