Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

19 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Looks like Bruce knows way more than all of us...

Maybe the culture is really damn good and we're close if not for Jay Gruden....

I can't say we're close but from what I see the culture is good, at least the way these kids are playing. I am not a Bruce fan but I don't fault him on the Cousins situation and I understand why they gave Gruden another year after all of the injuries. Before the Eagles went on their lucky Super Bowl run we beat them 5 straight times. We were 6-3 last year before the AS injury. I don't know what happened in the Trent situation. I'm not defending Bruce...but, incredibly, this team has not only stayed together but they are getting better and believe in each other despite their best player quitting on them. This team needs a head coach with some enthusiasm and creativity and we are gonna be a good team. 

That was a nice win today in Carolina....shut down McCaffrey and ran the ball down their throats. 

13 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Bruce: See how the team rallied around me when they heard those ridiculous rumors of you getting rid of me?  They love me and we’re getting closer and closer. Give Callahan a shot and you’ll see what I mean. Have another Crown Royal, Dan. 

It's a weird thing. I do think the team has much better talent than the they showed when they were 1-9. I predicted 4-12 based on lousy coaching, but thought we had around .500 talent. I also think we have drafted pretty well the last few years (our free agent pick ups have been overall kinda bad)

That said, Bruce Allen still doesn't get off the hook even if the talent is better... even if it's close. Why? He chose the lousy coaches. He's the architect of everything that has held this team back.

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

It's a weird thing. I do think the team has much better talent than the they showed when they were 1-9. I predicted 4-12 based on lousy coaching, but thought we had around .500 talent. I also think we have drafted pretty well the last few years (our free agent pick ups have been overall kinda bad)

That said, Bruce Allen still doesn't get off the hook even if the talent is better... even if it's close. Why? He chose the lousy coaches. He's the architect of everything that has held this team back.

I don’t think many here will argue that. However only one person has to believe that and his decisions are very suspect the last twenty years. I have zero confidence he won’t look for a reason to give him more time. I really hope I’m wrong. 

2 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

I don’t think many here will argue that. However only one person has to believe that and his decisions are very suspect the last twenty years. I have zero confidence he won’t look for a reason to give him more time. I really hope I’m wrong. 

I hope you are wrong, too.

It's a ten year record of mostly failing records, but maybe even worse than that he has alienated players, fans, and even opposing GMs. It's one thing to be bad. Bruce Allen has made this team unlikable even to its own fans.

So Brucie inks Josh Norman to a huge contract and Norman plays under Joe Barry for a year until Bruce fires Barry. When Wade Phillips expresses interest in the gig,  Bruce doesn't even acknowledge him and hires Manusky - probably because  "Little big man" had a boy crush on Greg when he played for the Skins (88-90).  Norman languished under Manusky, and was benched.  "Money for Nothing!" This is one of numerous reasons why Bruce Allen MUST BE FIRED and replaced by a real NFL GM.  IMO

40 minutes ago, celticsalmon said:

So Brucie inks Josh Norman to a huge contract and Norman plays under Joe Barry for a year until Bruce fires Barry. When Wade Phillips expresses interest in the gig,  Bruce doesn't even acknowledge him and hires Manusky - probably because  "Little big man" had a boy crush on Greg when he played for the Skins (88-90).

The Wade Philips deal was a Norval Gruden call... although Gruden was also a Brucie hire, so he can ultimately be blamed for all that. Phillips recounted the bizarre interview he had with Gruden a couple years ago. 

Article...

1 hour ago, celticsalmon said:

So Brucie inks Josh Norman to a huge contract and Norman plays under Joe Barry for a year until Bruce fires Barry. When Wade Phillips expresses interest in the gig,  Bruce doesn't even acknowledge him and hires Manusky - probably because  "Little big man" had a boy crush on Greg when he played for the Skins (88-90).  Norman languished under Manusky, and was benched.  "Money for Nothing!" This is one of numerous reasons why Bruce Allen MUST BE FIRED and replaced by a real NFL GM.  IMO

You could have just made a long story short and just said “Bruce should be fired.  His dumb ass gave Josh Norman 75 million.”

For the record, Gruden hired Barry instead of Wade Phillips. When he finally fired Barry, Phillips wasn't interested - he went to LA to join his godson Sean McVay. Gruden then passed on Pettine (GB's current stud DC who is getting an all pro year out of Preston Smith) to hire Manusky.

53 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

For the record, Gruden hired Barry instead of Wade Phillips. When he finally fired Barry, Phillips wasn't interested - he went to LA to join his godson Sean McVay. Gruden then passed on Pettine (GB's current stud DC who is getting an all pro year out of Preston Smith) to hire Manusky.

Coincidentally everybody Gruden hired had a Bruce Tampa connection or a Redskins connection with no connection to Gruden at all.

All just a coincidence.

💩

8 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Coincidentally everybody Gruden hired had a Bruce Tampa connection or a Redskins connection with no connection to Gruden at all.

All just a coincidence.

💩

Gruden had TB connections to everyone but Callahan. Haslett gave him his first coaching job in the Arena league. He and Barry were friends in TB.

I don't dislike Jay the way some do on the board.  But I think its OK not be all in or all out on someone -- grey areas are fine.  😀  I do think (and said so when they bypassed Phillips) at the time but Jay could have done better at defensive coordinators.  And it mystifies me.  Ditto oddly Shanny.  Shanny seemed allergic to hiring top coordinator names at the spot both in Denver and here.  

While I do agree that talent > coaching.  And coordinators can be overrated where sometimes you see them rise and fall based on the rosters they got.  Having said that if you pass on big name coordinators for distinctly lesser names then you are on the spot on the front if the defense looks to be under achieving.     Heck Jay himself acceded that point to a degree in his Grant-Danny interview months back.  

As for Bruce and Tampa connections.  He clearly likes to hire people with prior relationships and as some who cover him say, he likes to have people around him to have his back.  And to that end, apparently Callahan is his guy.    According to some Callahan is his hope to save his job by winning at the end of the season and they'd have each other's back moving forward with Dan, etc if needed. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

According to some Callahan is his hope to save his job by winning at the end of the season and they'd have each other's back moving forward with Dan, etc if needed. 

Exactly why it's incredibly tough to enjoy a win like yesterday.  You love to see the players get to feel good about themselves and have some juice.  But you know it's poison for the long term as for draft position, and most importantly - cooling Bruce's seat down.  With Callahan most likely being the next head coach should Bruce get to stay.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Exactly why it's incredibly tough to enjoy a win like yesterday.  You love to see the players get to feel good about themselves and have some juice.  But you know it's poison for the long term as for draft position, and most importantly - cooling Bruce's seat down.  With Callahan most likely being the next head coach should Bruce get to stay.

Yeah I can see him crowing to Dan hey I told you we were close.  :(   Russell was back and forth on Bruce's job status last year but what he said over the weekend was he learned that the win against Jax probably saved his job.  Bruce knows how to milk meaningless late season wins.

The sad thing is I think at best they finish 2-2.  But 2-2 might save it because its clear that 500 ball is all Dan needs to be sold they are close. 

Listening to narratives from those covering the team they have painted a clear picture that Callahan and Bruce are hand and hand a team package right now.  If you want one you get the other and vice versa.

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is the crossroads many fans, myself included, are faced with.  Do you want the team to fail so Allen gets fired, or do you hope there is a young core of guys to build around for the future (meaning Bruce Allen ain't going anywhere)?

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

This is the crossroads many fans, myself included, are faced with.  Do you want the team to fail so Allen gets fired, or do you hope there is a young core of guys to build around for the future (meaning Bruce Allen ain't going anywhere)?

i understand the quandary and honestly struggle with it myself. In the end I would rather than win than get rid of Bruce if it's sustainable. And that's very hard for me to say since I really hate bruce. Unfortunately it's probably not sustainable and him remaining will ensure that it's not.

But I have to say the young core is looking good. Lot's of missing pieces though. Time will tell. 

11 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Both.

I want them to lose so another guy can build around the youth.

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Both.

I want them to lose so another guy can build around the youth.

Me too. I don’t think the idea of young players developing and winning have to be tied to a hip. Just because for example they lost a lot this year doesn’t make me like McLaurin less, etc.

i know others aren’t claiming the opposite but for me I don’t need to see wins as a sign of growth in the youth but I get the point of those who see it as a positive sign.

24 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Gruden had TB connections to everyone but Callahan. Haslett gave him his first coaching job in the Arena league. He and Barry were friends in TB.

Barry was a LB coach in Tampa when both Bruce and Jay were there.

Manusky never coached in Tampa but he did coach in San Diego under Bruce's buddy AJ Smith who just happens to be Kyle Smiths father. Calahan was the Raiders OC and then head coach when Bruce, but not Jay, was there. Randy Jordan, the current Redskins RB coach was also (coincidentally) a player on the early 2000s Raiders teams, also with no connection to Jay Gruden. Aaron Stamn coached with Calahan in Nebraska (coincidence). Chad Grimm LB coach, obvious Redskins name hire. Looking through the list of coaches it doesn't look like any of them were Grudens guys but almost all of them have Bruce connections or were hired by Bruce before Gruden got the job.

But carry on believing what you want to believe.

Archived