Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If the Redskins string together a strong finish to the 2019 season, particularly with three NFC East games remaining to close out the year, Allen could point to real progress with rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins and say that interim head coach Bill Callahan has the team on the wrong track. 

This is why we need the skins to lose out.  That would be a worst case scenario with BA and Callahan heading in to next year.  Ugh, gives me hives just thinking about it.  

The question is how many wins would they have to string together in their last 5 to show progress.?  Let’s say they go 2-3, with a win against the Giants and Panthers, but losses against GB, Dallas and Eagles, is that really enough to say there is any progress?  Or does he need 3 or 4 wins.  

I will say, if they managed to get 4 wins, they would be rather impressive with this group of players.  I don’t see that as likely though.  

Their 2 wins have been last gasp efforts against the Dolphins and Lions without their QB.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Being talked about now on 106.7 but anytime Rapoport says it's noteworthy it makes me nervous, granted its not his report. 

Cowboys HC job being more attractive, I'd add.  I bet he hates that. 😀  Urban Meyer openly saying he is interested in the Dallas job and telling people close to him that he has zero interest in the Redskins job.

Sources close to the team confirmed the Garafalo report to NBC Sports Washington and added that never in Allen’s tenure in Washington has his grip seemed less firm over the organization. Further, league sources believe that Allen’s involvement in football operations is hurting the team's bottom line. 

One source explained that the Redskins could actually see a bump in ticket sales should the team remove Allen. Fan vitriol towards the team president has been fierce for a few seasons and it’s constantly visible on social media with the #FireBruceAllen hashtag. That was trending on Twitter as recently as last week. 

Of course it’s important to point out that Allen has ridden out rough storms before and maintained his position with the team. He’s hired and fired Jay Gruden and Scot McCloughan not to mention the fiasco of bringing in Brian Lafemina to run the team's business operations before he was fired less than a year later. 

Through it all, Allen has survived. Even cemented his own power along the way. 

It would be naive to think that Allen is definitely gone. If the Redskins string together a strong finish to the 2019 season, particularly with three NFC East games remaining to close out the year, Allen could point to real progress with rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins and say that interim head coach Bill Callahan has the team on the wrong track. 

Please. Snyder might get others to fall for this (again), but not me. Getting rid of Allan is just the start.  Gonna take a **** ton more than that.

38 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Please. Snyder might get others to fall for this (again), but not me. Getting rid of Allan is just the start.  Gonna take a **** ton more than that.

I've been killing Bruce for a long time but I agree with this point, too.  It would be just a start.    Part of my fascination is how long is Dan willing to go with burning himself with the fan base just so he can have a buddy.  Like Jay Glazer said Dan won't get rid of Bruce because that's his wings and beers guy.  it's like watching a car wreck in slow motion that never stops.

I still won't believe it until it happens.

His only real move to try and win back the fan base is to fire Allen. If the front office isn’t changed dramatically no coach can win here and no legitimate coach will want to coach here. If Snyder whiffs again with the next regime, he will lose the fan base forever and be forced to sell the team to try and grow a new one. Fans are jumping off this boat like rats from a sinking ship. All that being said it would still sell for multiple billions of dollars no matter what, and he gets the communal revenue share no matter what. Maybe DC hosts a super bowl with the next stadium too.

4 minutes ago, posse87 said:

If the front office isn’t changed dramatically no coach can win here and no legitimate coach will want to coach here. 

I think this might end up being part of it.  Laconfora has said multiple times that what he hears around the league is that on a good day it's an unattractive job but Bruce being there doubles down on the unattractiveness of it.  

A few weeks ago I read a report on ES that both Allen and Snyder had sold their homes in the DC area and Allen has a home in CA.

I think Allen leaked this report.  It may be there is already a plan in place between Allen and Snyder and only they know the details and how it will play out.

If all three local jurisdictions do not give him land for a stadium then you do not need Allen to remain with the Redskins just to do a stadium deal.

If Snyder takes his toy and sells it then both men ride off into the sunset.  Snyder can move onto another business.  In the old ESPN documentary

I watched a few days ago, Snyder tells Rachel Nichols how he went from one business start-up to the next and just kept trying to find the right business

to succeed.  He had to borrow family money to keep going.  Now he has all the money he needs.   He can do what Jack Kent Cooke's son did when he lost

his bid for the Redskins.  He can travel and spend his money and retire.  He can move to another state where his family will not be subject to fans not liking them.

Another interesting angle to this report from JP Finlay is how the players will react to the report.  Will they play differently if they feel that there is a

chance that Callahan and Allen could return next year in charge?  Will some of the players who want a new coach and a new General Manager think

it is in their best interests to lose the remaining games?

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The question is how many wins would they have to string together in their last 5 to show progress.?  Let’s say they go 2-3, with a win against the Giants and Panthers, but losses against GB, Dallas and Eagles, is that really enough to say there is any progress?  Or does he need 3 or 4 wins.  

I will say, if they managed to get 4 wins, they would be rather impressive with this group of players.  I don’t see that as likely though.  

Their 2 wins have been last gasp efforts against the Dolphins and Lions without their QB.  

I think one of the two are safe if they win the giants game and both are gone if they lose.

I never in a million years ever thought I would ever root for this team to lose, but I have found myself rooting for the team I love to lose out since the Dolphins game. Its like watching your old sick dog dying and suffering, you love the ole boy but you gotta put him down.  If losing out means we can get rid of Bruce and some of the other clowns in the organization then I say Go Panthers, Go Packers, GO Eagles,  Go Giants, and damn this absolutely kills me.....Go Cowboys.......Thank you Bruce,  I'm going to go puke now lol

Of course, some would say that Allen isn’t the problem but simply a symptom of an issue that starts with Snyder, and that nothing will change until he sells the team. (The mere act of selling the team would likely sell out the stadium for years to come.)

It was believed that Allen would remain in place until he finagles a new stadium for the franchise. But with the team being such a perennial poor performer, getting a new stadium becomes an even tougher task.

Still, we’ll believe that Allen is truly in trouble when we see him do the walk of shame with a cardboard box full of his personal belongings. Snyder can’t make that move until he knows he’ll have someone better to take Allen’s place, and the question is whether any candidate who would constitute an upgrade would touch that job with a 10-foot pole and/or for anything less than $10 million per year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/30/bruce-allen-could-be-on-the-outs-in-d-c-finally/

“Dan, will you look at moving away from Bruce Allen at GM after this years disappointing season?

”Well, um, you know, like I’ve uhm, always said, I look at everything, so uh, yea, we will look at everything to bring a championship back to DC. I think we uh, we are close”

headline:  DANNY CONSIDERING FIRING BRUCE!?

I trust Russell the most on FO issues, this is a good sign because months back he thought Bruce might be safe

My understanding and sources have told me repeatedly over the last two years that Dan Snyder and minority owners have grown increasingly frustrated and angry at times with Allen's leadership and were at least considering his employment status at times last season.

Especially after the team hired now former business executive Brian Lafemina before firing him and his crew in late December, which theoretically re-asserted Allen's power. It also led to a mass exodus of employees because nobody that I know of has any faith at all in Allen's reign. 

My belief is that Allen will "retire" from his post at or around the end of the season so that the Redskins can avoid the "mutually part ways" press release.

Dan Snyder and Allen are friends. They enjoy plenty of ****tails together and the Allen name is an important part of the legacy of the franchise. It's already largely been ruined but to fire Allen, would put a permanent stain on that legacy, in the eyes of some. 

Season's Greetings Redskins fans. You may all get your wish. 

7 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Disagree ... I’d be pleased with McCarthy, especially if he brought some of the former GB front office guys along.  Like Elliot Wolf. 

I'd want Wolf but not McCarthy.  Granted there are two sides to every story.  But over the years it was hard for me to miss the stories about McCarthy that didn't always paint him in the most flattering way.  

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2019/4/4/18294719/packers-mike-mccarthy-and-complacency-belichick-demo-lazy-lack-of-innovation-take-offense

McCarthy famously focused on execution on the football field. His entire coaching strategy was based on creating routine and a process around executing his plays as well as they could be executed. While there is nothing wrong with executing at a high level, the current NFL requires that coaches not just accept change, but embrace it.

Criticisms of McCarthy focused on his lack of innovation. The Packers’ offense grew stale, and while the league reacted to an ever-changing landscape, he stayed the same. That lack of innovation is its own form of complacency, and the lack of insight in this interview is revealing. 

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/12/15960964/mike-mccarthy-mediocre-packers-head-coach-holding-back-aaron-rodgers

The other problem is head coach Mike McCarthy. He’s only slightly better than John Fox at clock management, while also being predictable, conservative, and, to hear Greg Jennings tell it, lacks a killer instinct.

Jennings discussed his former head coach on Fox Sports Wednesday afternoon.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

But even in the best of times—when confetti should've still been stuck to their clothing—one person who was then close to Rodgers remembers he would regularly call to vent that McCarthy didn't have a clue what he was doing. He'd tell him that McCarthy frequently called the wrong play. That he used the wrong personnel. That they were running plays that worked one out of 50 times in practice. That McCarthy was a buffoon he was constantly bailing out.

"Mike has a low football IQ, and that used to always bother Aaron," this source says. "He'd say Mike has one of the lowest IQs, if not the lowest IQ, of any coach he's ever had."

Adds a personnel man who worked for the Packers at the time: "He's not going to respect you if he thinks he's smarter than you."

...The problem for McCarthy was that as the talent drained, he failed to innovate. His scheme went stale and he didn't adapt. As one personnel man puts it, McCarthy "got full off his own juice." He believed his system—not the Packers' absurd amount of talent—was the foundation for the offensive success. But raw rookies cannot bust free one-on-one like, say, Jennings or Nelson or Jones.

Tension with Rodgers over the play-calling became part of the DNA of the offense itself. Rodgers felt the system was bland, so he increasingly played Superman.

Many believe Rodgers, the QB with the best career passer rating (103.1) in NFL history, was 100 percent justified in overruling his coach's play calls, and that the Packers would've deteriorated more precipitously if he hadn't put that cape on. The personnel man says the Packers' passing offense was essentially "Get open" and that they basically ran the same routes for seven years straight, to the point where division rivals "constantly" called out plays pre-snap and jumped routes. 

1 hour ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Better to have rumblings than none at all, this sounds positive. Hope its true and Bruceys head rolls...🤞🏽

Not so sure...a lot of the big stuff that has happened over the last several years had zero rumblings until they happened (hiring Scot, trading for Smith, Lafemina hiring, Lafemina firing lol)...

Archived