Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Enlightening Rex Grossman Interview

joeken24

Anyone hear the Rex Grossman interview today? I thought it was eye opening. Of course they spoke about the RGIII experiment. Old news....move on (hope nobody grabs hold to that one sentence and add to it. But of course that guy is as controversial as ****ing trump).

Anyway.....Rex spoke of how Kirk needs to play within himself. For instance, Kirk spoke often this year about "learning" how to extend plays or tucking the ball and running. Rex made a good point about how an individuals personality comes out in the way they play (I'm paraphrasing). I think he's right. I've said many times that I believe a QB's ability to move around in the pocket like Aaron or Romo was innate. You can't "learn" it. Even taking chances is a personality trait. Rex was a gambler. As such, he would throw the ball in tight windows and would throw the ball deep over looking to check down. Aaron is a hybrid, which makes him the most complete QB I've seen ever. I don't believe Kirk can ever be that type of QB. He's too calculated. Anyone that schedules his daily movements down to 15 minutes intervals is calculated. They're intentional.....not simultaneous. I doesn't make him a bad guy to play QB. Its just not conducive to what we all are hoping Kirk will become. Rex also said that Kirk kind of likened his game after Matt Hasselbeck. Ironically, that's how he plays. I think this year, Kirk is struggling (not much but compared to last year...). Maybe some of that struggle has to do with this slight "progression" Kirk is seeking to gain. Maybe he wants to be Aaron Rogerish, but his personality doesn't allow it....at least naturally.  

Feel free to move this to the Kirk thread. I just thought it to be interesting enough to have a focused discussion about it. 

This should probably go in the Cousins thread.  I listened to the interview on Cooley and Kevin.  I'm not sure if it's been transcribed.

one thing that caught my attention:Rex said Kirk really respected Matt Hasselbeck (however you spell that). Rex even chuckled about it.  Matt was a good, system QB that played for a good team and had success.  But will never be confused with a HOF type talent or career.  If that's who Kirk models himself after, it speaks volumes about his mentality. 

was definitely a good listen

ESPN 980 Audio Vault for anyone who wants to hear

He called Kirk a top 10 QB in the league

Did say that Kirk looked up to Matt Hasselbeck which was interesting, but Kirk has also been linked with studying Brees and Brady a lot

He had a TON of praise for the Shanahans

I always liked Sexy Rexy, I knew the chances of us winning anything with him were slim but the teams were interesting with him

20 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

For all the terrible memories I have of Rex Grossman, he still swept the Giants the year they won the Super Bowl, and he somehow helped us play competitively with the Patriots for one game. I can't bring myself to not like him.

That Patriots game was fun. Back when we actually had a running game with the Shanny’s and we ran the ball a lot with Roy Helu and Evan Royster. London Fletcher getting a good hit on Brady. The tiny 145lb kick returner Brandon Banks throwing a TD to Santana Moss. End zone INT on Brady. Of course it all was topped off by an interception by Grossman lol!

10 minutes ago, beachboy757 said:

That Patriots game was fun. Back when we actually had a running game with the Shanny’s and we ran the ball a lot with Roy Helu and Evan Royster. London Fletcher getting a good hit on Brady. The tiny 145lb kick returner Brandon Banks throwing a TD to Santana Moss. End zone INT on Brady. Of course it all was topped off by an interception by Grossman lol!

Yep I was at that game! We should have won that game, if not for a BS (in my mind) offensive pass interference penalty on him in the end zone 

7 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

At least Cousins famous "you like that" isn't as embarrassing as Hasslebecks "we want the ball and we're going to score"

I never understood why he got such grief for that.  I want my leader to be confident.  What is he supposed to say?  "Give them the ball, we aren't going to score anyway"  He's hardly the first athlete to predict victory and be wrong.

59 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Like everybody, the Hasselbeck thing struck me.  You gotta model yourself after somebody higher in the QB pecking order, dude. lol

Surprised at some of the narrative on this thread.  Many articles referred to Kirk's love of Brady.  Reads his books, studies him on and on and on.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kirk-cousins-labels-patriots-tom-brady-the-greatest-of-all-time/

Cousins, who studies Brady's game, even went so far as to call Brady the "greatest of all time." According to the Washington Post, Cousins gave the GOAT label to Brady "without a split-second's hesitation."

"He has kind of set the standard for all of us to follow," Cousins said. "It's a high standard to meet. That's the goal, certainly, every year, every offseason: to work and to prepare to try to play at the level he does, week in and week out."

That is an interesting notion - that a quarterback's overall personality reflects the type of quarterback he is, at least in terms of risk-taking and making stuff up on the fly.  For Kirk at least, it seems to fit. He is the anti Captain Chaos.

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Surprised at some of the narrative on this thread.  Many articles referred to Kirk's love of Brady.  Reads his books, studies him on and on and on.

I can understand some of the criticism but seems like some are reaching for anything to back up their opinion. 

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think it's because Rex commented on it, and then even laughed about it. Like, really dude, Matt Hasselbeck? That's the guy you idolize?  Which is he word that Rex used. 

Also, Kirk to Hasselbeck is a good comparison.  And he kinda plays like him.  Though MH did take more shots into coverage. 

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I never understood why he got such grief for that.  I want my leader to be confident.  What is he supposed to say?  "Give them the ball, we aren't going to score anyway"  He's hardly the first athlete to predict victory and be wrong.

If your QB doesn't believe he can win then that's not the man you want on the field.  A professional athletes is always suppose to think they can come through the in the clutch.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think it's because Rex commented on it, and then even laughed about it. Like, really dude, Matt Hasselbeck? That's the guy you idolize?  Which is he word that Rex used. 

Also, Kirk to Hasselbeck is a good comparison.  And he kinda plays like him.  Though MH did take more shots into coverage. 

I was referring to the comments about Kirk not setting his heights higher by modeling himself off of a better QB.  If you follow Kirk -- his obsession with Brady has been beaten to death in story after story, including even adopting now some of his diet habits. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was referring to the comments about Kirk not setting his heights higher by modeling himself off of a better QB.  If you follow Kirk -- his obsession with Brady has been beaten to death in story after story, including even adopting now some of his diet habits. 

Interestingly, Brady is also very methodical and regimented. But, he still knows how to play QB in the spur of the moment when he has to.

Brett Favre threw a ton of picks -- the more you try to make a highlight-reel play, the more you'll be intercepted.  The difference is, a touchdown is worth more than a pick (not a pick-6).  I wish George Allen hadn't been on his old-folks kick because Joey T. should've been given the job as soon as he got here. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe, I have no idea how high Kirk sets the bar.  It really doesn't matter.  The fact that he likes Hasselbeck is kindof an interesting factoid. 

NOTE: I'm not one of the "Kirk is a check-down Charlie" guys.  I think he's absolutely adequate.  I do think he is hesitant to pull the trigger on routes where a receiver isn't showing blatantly open.  I also think that the massive criticism of him throwing INTs in big spots makes him more conservative.  

But whatever.  You can win a SB with Kirk if you have the right pieces around him.  

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Better than Chad Pennington I guess.

Yeah.  Though before he got hurt, Pennington was absolutely killing it.  The problems with him really started when he hurt his shoulder and then couldn't throw the ball through a pane of glass...

Archived