Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Enlightening Rex Grossman Interview

joeken24

Pocket awareness is something that can be taught. If you look at the Manning passing academy it's a big item. Teaching the kids to keep their eyes downfield and in a throwing body position as they 'feel' where the pressure is coming from. 

Like all things, some of this is natural and some is learned, but overall it's something that's critical to extend plays. 

1 minute ago, Unbias said:

Pocket awareness is something that can be taught. If you look at the Manning passing academy it's a big item. Teaching the kids to keep their eyes downfield and in a throwing body position as they 'feel' where the pressure is coming from. 

Like all things, some of this is natural and some is learned, but overall it's something that's critical to extend plays. 

Completely agree. 

There's a FANTASTIC video floating around somewhere where Bill Walsh teaches the basics of the WCO, and the QB that's demonstrating it is Joe Montana.  Now, you can't get a better pair to teach you about WCO fundamentals than Walsh and Montana. 

At one point, Walsh says that after the drop, and the QB goes though the hitch-steps to reads 1 and 2, you have to evade, keep your eyes down field and look for option 3.  (Or something like that. Hes talking about a 3 step drop pay.)  What he says next is critical.  "This is something we have to drill and practice so the QB knows where to go."

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding.  

Bill Walsh was a smart man.  

40 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Maybe, I have no idea how high Kirk sets the bar.  It really doesn't matter.  The fact that he likes Hasselbeck is kindof an interesting factoid. 

That's cool.  I didn't though direct my original point at your post.  My post was directed at the idea that Kirk sets his bar low and he should set it higher.  You responded to my post and so I explained my point. 

22 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

That Patriots game was fun. Back when we actually had a running game with the Shanny’s and we ran the ball a lot with Roy Helu and Evan Royster. London Fletcher getting a good hit on Brady. The tiny 145lb kick returner Brandon Banks throwing a TD to Santana Moss. End zone INT on Brady. Of course it all was topped off by an interception by Grossman lol!

I just rewatched the highlights video from it, and the most frustrating part about that game, aside from Gronk looking like Jerome Bettis, was that the Grossman interception was because he threw it Moss, who immediately let the ball slip through his hands to a Patriot. Like Moss just flipped it straight to him at 2:52

I'm getting angry just watching it now, I forgot how much I hated Moss for that lol. And that was the drive after Brady got a ripped a new one by his OC for an interception in the endzone.

I also forgot that entering the game, Grossman had 10 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. *shudder*

Oh, and I still say that unnecessary roughness call on Fletcher was total BS. :deadhorse:

I always liked Rex. He knew his limitations. The coaches knew them. Hell, we all knew 'em. It was fun to watch him out there. I don't want to see Cousins slingin' it like ol' Sexy Rexy, but he does need to take more shots downfield instead of thinking about INT ratios and how that  might affect next year's pay prospects.

Despite his risk-taking ways, Rex was a real student of the game. He probably has some valuable insights to share. I'm pretty intrigued by the Hasselback angle.

But man oh man.......FIIGD.......I love it! :ols:

I think we've buried the lede of that interview.

They asked Grossman about the story that in a meeting with Mike Shanahan, RGIII told the coach he no longer wanted to run the read option, something RGIII has long denied.

Grossman said "Oh yeah, that happened."  Then he said that Mike Shanahan has a recording of the meeting!

On 11/3/2017 at 9:57 AM, Dan T. said:

That is an interesting notion - that a quarterback's overall personality reflects the type of quarterback he is, at least in terms of risk-taking and making stuff up on the fly.  For Kirk at least, it seems to fit. He is the anti Captain Chaos.

Glad someone here caught the point.

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

They asked Grossman about the story that in a meeting with Mike Shanahan, RGIII told the coach he no longer wanted to run the read option, something RGIII has long denied.

Grossman said "Oh yeah, that happened."  Then he said that Mike Shanahan has a recording of the meeting!

I knew someone would grab it. Sigh...

On 11/2/2017 at 10:28 PM, SkinsFTW said:

Um, at least Post a link to the interview:chair:

You'd know if you "followed" the Redskins like most true fans. 

4 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Yeah I heard that too.  Robert Griffin is a lying, bitter, delusional little kid who still thinks the world did him wrong.  Seriously screw that guy, I hope he was lite up on Twitter after making that claim.

On 11/2/2017 at 11:11 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

This should probably go in the Cousins thread.  I listened to the interview on Cooley and Kevin.  I'm not sure if it's been transcribed.

one thing that caught my attention:Rex said Kirk really respected Matt Hasselbeck (however you spell that). Rex even chuckled about it.  Matt was a good, system QB that played for a good team and had success.  But will never be confused with a HOF type talent or career.  If that's who Kirk models himself after, it speaks volumes about his mentality. 

Kirk has also spoekn about respecting Aaron Rodgers and trying to emulate his pocket movement, and also trying to emulate Brady's study and approach to the game. It's almost as if Kirk sees accomplished QBs and tries to LEARN from them, even Hasselback. So maybe slow your roll with the proclamations about "Kirk's mentality," lol

I heard the interview and Rex was good and honest about a lot of issues.  He sounds happy with his 12 year career.

He had a good head on his shoulders.  Quarterbacks need a good mind and physical tools too.   RGIII has good physical tools until

he was injured.   He should stay off social media and move on to finding a new career path.  He cannot keep living in the past.

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

He cannot keep living in the past.

But Watson just had an ACL injury and Houstons going to need a qb... :ols:

I heard a guy on the radio the other day say about Watson's game vs the Seahawks "when is the last time you've seen a QB do that to that Seahawks defense" and I was like ummm, how about the first half of our playoff game.

Archived