Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

I never got a lot of direct threats but I always heard, felt, and saw the hostility. The worst was my own mother - who would take time to tell me how awful the media is from time to time. 

Knowing your own mother doesn't have your back - probably feels similarly to the person who shot those people at the Gazette today. Between that and the literal starvation wages? Yeah - can't say I miss it. Still, though - feel a great deal of solidarity with reporters. These are the latest in more than two dozen deaths of journalists in 2018 alone.  

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Oh yes it would have. It's the GOP and FOXNews and INFOWARS, et all's fault. If Hillary had been president, it may have even gotten worse.

I don’t really agree.  I think Trump would have just gone away if Hillary won and we wouldn’t have Nazis marching on Charlottesville, people fine with putting foreigners in concentration camps or citizens threating the free press.

Trump is the common denominator.  He supports this in his continuing rhetoric.

These people are dead because of Trump.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I don’t really agree.  I think Trump would have just gone away if Hillary won and we wouldn’t have Nazis marching on Charlottesville, people fine with putting foreigners in concentration camps or citizens threating the free press.

Trump is the common denominator.  He supports this in his continuing rhetoric.

These people are dead because of Trump.

I dunno 'bout that. Remember, he had "plans" to make a "news station" if he lost the election and while he probably would have been cringy as hell, he would have had a devoted following. Plus, as I said earlier, you don't need to win an election to start a movement. Goldwater got BTFO in the general election in '64 but he basically got the Conservative Movement started. After Trump won the nomination, his impact (and whatever passes for his "ideology" - a word I use very loosely in this context) had already been made and the wheels were in motion. 

You don't have to win every battle to win a war.  

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

We don’t know if this was related to an antimedia sentiment fueled by trump

While that is a fair statement, it is unquestionable that the popularity and rise of this wave of up front, viscious,  anti-media sentiment is 100% on Trump, and has emboldened others with their own personal gripe with  the media.

• Like 2

Is there any group that isn't threatened online at this point?  Seems like anyone that has a political opinion that anyone else cares to listen to is immediately hated, threatened, and might have their personal information posted. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Destino said:

Is there any group that isn't threatened online at this point?  Seems like anyone that has a political opinion that anyone else cares to listen to is immediately hated, threatened, and might have their personal information posted. 

Any other group isn't actively exposing the traitor scumbag president and all his homies at every possible turn, drawing his ire and putting him on the defensive to the point where he attacks them every chance he gets and encourages others to do the same.

That type of **** has consequences that go beyond just some run of the mill gump ass threats on the internet.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Destino said:

It's not really at all the same, though there is some cross over with the harassment and threats women get online.

Edited by visionary

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Milo defends himself https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/maryland-shooting-annapolis-milo-yiannopoulous-capital-gazette-journalists-gun-baltimore-sun-a8422256.html

This dude is a scumbag and his explanation is weak, it doesn't even make sense. 

It kills me that so many people followed him and that he was empowered to be the jerk he was. And it was all good free speech until he was talking about sexing little boys. 

What was the defamation lawsuit about?  I guess the newspaper knew about this guy.  They published something about this guy that he didn't like.    There is a possibility that this isn't political but personal. 

Edited by redskins59

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

We don’t know if this was related to an antimedia sentiment fueled by trump,  it if it was something along those lines it would seem that milo should be facing some criminal charges....

I think we're giving Trump far too much credit on this.  The political wings have hated media for a long time.  Democraticunderground was complaining about the corrupt sold out MSM or "corporate media" more than a decade ago, and still are.  The rights had "liberal media" long before "fake news" and it means the exact same thing.  This isn't equal though because democratic leaders haven't embraced this paranoia, while Republicans have basically adopted it as a completely standard part of republican political discourse.  Trump is following a pattern of taking bad ideas, or situations, that were already in place and just irresponsibly taking them to a extremes others weren't willing to do.  The Wall, family separations, media hatred, the tone of rhetoric for political rivals, torture, drone strikes... everything.  Someone else laid the ground work and Trump showed up and said "Yeah I like this, let's do it 100x more!"

Just now, Llevron said:

It kills me that so many people followed him and that he was empowered to be the jerk he was. And it was all good free speech until he was talking about sexing little boys. 

I didn't even hear about anything in regards to sexting little boys.  I've seen him on Maher's show, couldn't stand listening to him.  He's still got a following.

Talk loud, be brash, don't apologize for anything and you can go far, apparently.

Having spent the last few minutes reading back through the suspect’s twitter account, this seems like a specific targeting of this paper and not a Trump-motivated attack on journalists.

Wish people wouldn’t jump to conclusions, it just distracts from the basic fact that Trump is still a piece of **** and his attacks on journalists are anti-American. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

1 minute ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Having spent the last few minutes reading back through the suspect’s twitter account, this seems like a specific targeting of this paper and not a Trump-motivated attack on journalists.

Wish people wouldn’t jump to conclusions, it just distracts from the basic fact that Trump is still a piece of **** and his attacks on journalists are anti-American. 

People are going to bring their agendas to this, no matter what.  

Looks like this guy represented himself in court last week on an appeal and lost, according to this:

This lady looks like a Baltimore freelance investigative journalist.

Further, Trump could end this.  He, and only he, has the power.  At one of the Hitleresque rallies that he has every few days, with the media in the back that his supporters heckle. All he has to do is end it.  If he shames these mouth breathers from heckling the media then they’ll stop.  Problem solved.

Nothing will happen.

• Like 1