Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

52 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I just want to bring us back to the point that no other country in the world is dealing with this. No other country deals with mass shootings at schools or elsewhere with such regularity. Not countries at peace and not even countries engaged in civil war.

Few years back, The Onion created an article with the headline 

"Nothing can be done" says the only place in the world where this regularly happens.  

They've re-used it several times, simply by changing the name of the latest mass shooting.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

No, this is where you get into semantics.  

My use of the term was correct.  And it completely conveyed the thought that I was attempting to communicate. 

I know what I said.  You know what I said. 

But, it does not sit with your agenda to attempt to change the meaning of terms which have been in accepted usage for 75 years. 

Larry, what you said was 'automatic' pistol. That is not correct, as one has to have a federally issued firearms license to own an any automatic weapon. Hence, semantics. You can claim what you said was correct, but you would be wrong.

Just now, Popeman38 said:

Larry, what you said was 'automatic' pistol. That is not correct, as one has to have a federally issued firearms license to own an any automatic weapon. Hence, semantics. You can claim what you said was correct, but you would be wrong.

I am quite aware that there has been an agenda to redefine longstanding terms, to demand that people use different terms.  

I am not going to go along with it.  It's politically motivated, and I do not give the NRA the ability to tell me what to say.  

Now, if you want to address what I said, feel free to do so.  

If you want to demand that I change the English language to fit your agenda, then knock yourself out.  

But don't try to claim that I'm getting into semantics, while you try to get me to change my grammar.  

15 minutes ago, Larry said:

I am quite aware that there has been an agenda to redefine longstanding terms, to demand that people use different terms.  

I am not going to go along with it.  It's politically motivated, and I do not give the NRA the ability to tell me what to say.  

Yep, a rose by any other name... 

Am I the only that thinks firearm terminology in this country is intentionally complex to help make it impossible to legislate?  How do they categorize these weapons overseas?  It seems from what I'm reading they use more broad terminology in their laws (such a category for hunting rifle) while others, like Canada, go futher seem to focus more on dimensions of the barrel and ammo to help decide what is or isn't legal.

Edited by Renegade7

42 minutes ago, Larry said:

Now, if you want to address what I said, feel free to do so.  

If you want to demand that I change the English language to fit your agenda, then knock yourself out.  

But don't try to claim that I'm getting into semantics, while you try to get me to change my grammar.  

Larry, you KNOW that nobody calls a semi-automatic handgun an automatic pistol any longer. Just like no one refers to bars as saloons. Or cars as horesless carriages. It is outdated. A machine pistol is now referred to as an automatic handgun. It has nothing to do with the NRA or politics. It’s is a common usage issue. Semi-automatic is used to describe a firearm that uses the energy produced by the gun to expel an empty cartridge and load the next cartridge, making the firearm ready to fire the next round. You ARE using semantics. Unless you are proposing we return to old English. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Larry, you KNOW that nobody calls a semi-automatic handgun an automatic pistol any longer. Just like no one refers to bars as saloons. Or cars as horesless carriages. It is outdated. A machine pistol is now referred to as an automatic handgun. It has nothing to do with the NRA or politics. It’s is a common usage issue. Semi-automatic is used to describe a firearm that uses the energy produced by the gun to expel an empty cartridge and load the next cartridge, making the firearm ready to fire the next round. You ARE using semantics. Unless you are proposing we return to old English. 

I think things should be termed correctly and accurately, but it’s not really a sensible comparison to compare terms no one uses anymore to terms perhaps used more widely than the supposed accurate ones.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

The suggestion to arm teachers is idiotic. I suspect that was the long term goal of the right wing brainwashing that started ten years ago. "Let's retard our base so much that we can suggest something as outlandish as... oh, I don't know... 'let's arm all the teachers' and they'll all go along with it!! HAR HAR HAAAAR!!!!"

That would be funny, except that’s EXACTLY what they did. 

17 minutes ago, visionary said:

I think things should be termed correctly and accurately, but it’s not really a sensible comparison to compare terms no one uses anymore to terms perhaps used more widely than the supposed accurate ones.  

Agreed. However, having fired AR-15s and a bunch of semi auto handguns, it’s almost a moot point because you can fire a LOT of rounds very quicky with them. That and the high capacity clips and very quick reloading means that the somewhat slower rate of fire could probably produce close to the same numbers of casualties. 

2 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

The risks do outweigh the risks from a real shooter, but you REFUSE to acknowledge ANY of those risks as anything worth concerning yourself with, even after thr police shot an innocent hostage after he got the gun away from the hostage taker.

Odd you think people that are at the school daily and around most of the kids for years would be more likely to shoot a student by accident than the cops.

the teachers themselves would be risking more by arming or being proactive, but that is a choice(one they must make before or during a shooting)

for those saying it is not a option ignore that it is in places already

4 minutes ago, twa said:

Odd you think people that are at the school daily and around most of the kids for years would be more likely to shoot a student by accident than the cops.

Yeah, it's weird the way these lefties seem to think that people are more likely to get shot when there's a gun around, than when there isn't one.  

I mean, it's like they have some source of information or something that tells them that the odds of somebody getting shot is higher when there's a gun around.  Or something.  

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

Agreed. However, having fired AR-15s and a bunch of semi auto handguns, it’s almost a moot point because you can fire a LOT of rounds very quicky with them. That and the high capacity clips and very quick reloading means that the somewhat slower rate of fire could probably produce close to the same numbers of casualties. 

I would have zero issue requiring a federal license to own any semi-automatic rifle. 

EDIT: To change fire to own. 

Edited by Popeman38
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Larry said:

Yeah, it's weird the way these lefties seem to think that people are more likely to get shot when there's a gun around, than when there isn't one.  

I mean, it's like they have some source of information or something that tells them that the odds of somebody getting shot is higher when there's a gun around.  Or something.  

You are suggesting no armed police response to a shooting or armed security when there is not?

after we know people are more likely to get shot when there is a gun around.

24 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:
Truly garbage human beings.

This is so not surprising.

I know I say this a million times, but anyone still sitting on the sidelines and not punishing the GOP at the ballot box for the next several elections is complicit in all of this.

Recognize that one party, even if you disagree with some of their policies, is still trying to make sure we're a nation of civility, decency and compassion.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1