Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

8 hours ago, twa said:

It is not argument, it is a practice in some places.

None is a stupid answer.

It's not a practice. It's "legal" in 18 states as long as multiple hurdles are jumped through. And the vast majority of the time the allowed teacher in question is bringing a gun to school for training or a ceremony. (Think ROTC). Having your science teacher or math teacher carrying a concealed handgun on their person is an awful idea.

None is the correct answer.

• Like 2

Well, for the first time in my life, I wrote both of my senators and my representative.  I don't expect anything from them, in fact I only requested one even respond because I felt like I'd probably just get a canned response.  Figured I'd share it with you all.

Here's what I wrote:

As a lifelong resident of Fairfax County, someone who came of voting age in 2000 and one who has voted in every election since, I have never written a congressman either local or national.  Frankly, I've never felt the need to.  I live in an area that is affluent and economically sound.  This area has allowed both my wife and I to prosper and begin a family that (so far) includes two beautiful boys.  Thank you and everyone who has carried Virginia over my lifetime for that.

I'm writing because I am pained by the recent events in Florida.  I am angry because I even need to specify the where and when of these things.  As I said, my wife and I have two boys, one is three and the other is nearing two.  After the shooting in Florida, it dawned on me that in a short amount of time I would have to sit down with my eldest son and have a real conversation with him about what to do if there were an active shooter in his school.  This thought breaks my heart.  Me, and many fathers like me, will fight back tears as they have conversations with their children that their parents never had to have with them.

I'm angry because this should have been addressed by now.  After Sandy Hook, yet another school shooting I shouldn't have to specify, nothing happened.  After Las Vegas, nothing happened.  I'm afraid that nothing is going to happen after the most recent school shooting either.  I and all other Americans will just be in a holding pattern, waiting for the next mass murder, hoping it doesn't happen to them or their loved ones.

I'm not writing to tell you what to do, I'm writing to tell you to do SOMETHING.  It's time to stop giving lip service to people's dead children.  Thoughts and prayers aren't enough.  Please, make changes that will save people's lives.

With respect,
Chris ****
Burke VA

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Just now, MartinC said:

Like in the UK? 

Strange thing. If the population is not armed the police don’t need to be either.

ordinary police you mean:), the police there most certainly have guns....big guns 

and since Ireland is in the UK  and all police in the north carry there.....(so I guess your point is not ALL need to be armed)

Which one responds and stands ready for responding to attacks though....the armed or the unarmed?

Having quicker response(by having guns present) can both limit casualties AND allow faster medical response to any wounded

3 hours ago, daveakl said:

It's not a practice. It's "legal" in 18 states as long as multiple hurdles are jumped through. And the vast majority of the time the allowed teacher in question is bringing a gun to school for training or a ceremony. (Think ROTC). Having your science teacher or math teacher carrying a concealed handgun on their person is an awful idea.

None is the correct answer.

It is a practice in a number of school districts to have armed teachers and staff and has been for years, and it is indeed also legal in many states....and not just some ROTC training or ceremony

none is your opinion, which you are welcome to.

21 minutes ago, twa said:

ordinary police you mean:), the police there most certainly have guns....big guns 

and since Ireland is in the UK  and all police in the north carry there.....(so I guess your point is not ALL need to be armed)

Which one responds and stands ready for responding to attacks though....the armed or the unarmed?

Having quicker response(by having guns present) can both limit casualties AND allow faster medical response to any wounded

Oh no argument there are armed response units in each area.

London has the most with about 2,000 trained officers. Outside London it’s more like 200 per force. There are armed security guards in airports now as well.

So yes my point is in a society in which the general population is not armed the ‘general’ police officer does not need to be armed either. Every routine traffic stop in the UK is not a life of death situation.

Just now, MartinC said:

Every routine traffic stop in the UK is not a life of death situation.

Ya'll are a bit more civilized,even if ya drive on the wrong side.

Cops here are more likely to be run over than shot at traffic stops.

Just now, MartinC said:

Youve clearly never been to a British town centre on a Friday night when the pubs/clubs are emptying out.

:ols:

The Germans are probably worse imo.....of course ya'll do include the Irish at times .

I never have, but I've been around many expats here 

• Like 1

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

I dated a girl from Essex for several years, and her Aunt's husband was from Liverpool. They ain't cupcakes. Unlike us, their toughness isn't characterized by how many guns they have.

They can take a beating well

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I dated a girl from Essex for several years, and her Aunt's husband was from Liverpool. They ain't cupcakes. Unlike us, their toughness isn't characterized by how many guns they have.

By wifes from Liverpool. Tell me about it.

The idea someone posted a while ago about using pics of shot up kids got me thinking about something. The gun control crowd should adopt the methods of the anti abortion crowd. You wanna have your gun store here? Sure, but there will be people picketing it 24/7 with pics of shot up kids, harassing your patrons. Ditto for gun shows. On the policy front, ordinances could be passed for "safety" reasons to require extensive fire/explosion/burglary protection. Ditto for gun ranges and environmental protections from lead. Gun owners should be required to look at pictures of shot up kids followed by a 48 hour waiting period for the lord Jesus Christ to enter their hearts and change their minds before being allowed to make their purchase. Code or other local enforcement types could be used to make the lives of gun store owners as difficult as possible. Ditto that for people with impromptu ranges out in the booniesWill any of this change the minds of gun nuts? No. But it would drive up costs, both in money and hassle for gun buyers, hopefully decrease the numbers of gun stores/shows, and as with the Republic Party, galvanize a cadre of true believers on a zealous crusade that will be highly motivated to vote and gain converts. And as twa has often reminded us, if some misguided individuals of conscience take it upon themselves to employ regrettable, violent methods of protest, there's a lot of grey area there to morally justify it and they can further serve the movement as martyrs from their jail cells.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, twa said:

It is a practice in a number of school districts to have armed teachers and staff and has been for years, and it is indeed also legal in many states....and not just some ROTC training or ceremony

none is your opinion, which you are welcome to.

None is not only my opinion but the evidence from countless studies and research.  Arguing that guns in schools is a positive thing and prevents / detours gun violence / deaths is not only proven to be false, but a dangerous narrative to push.  

You want to argue about merits and facts, that you need proof before you will believe a certain thing, but here is a perfect example of you contradicting yourself just to antagonize.  Please stop, it demeans all your other posts.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

The idea someone posted a while ago about using pics of shot up kids got me thinking about something. The gun control crowd should adopt the methods of the anti abortion crowd. You wanna have your gun store here? Sure, but there will be people picketing it 24/7 with pics of shot up kids, harassing your patrons. Ditto for gun shows. On the policy front, ordinances could be passed for "safety" reasons to require extensive fire/explosion/burglary protection. Ditto for gun ranges and environmental protections from lead.

Don't forget to make the rules so onerous that there's only 1 gun store for an entire store.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

. And as twa has often reminded us, if some misguided individuals of conscience take it upon themselves to employ regrettable, violent methods of protest, there's a lot of grey area there to morally justify it and they can further serve the movement as martyrs from their jail cells.

It will only strengthen the resolve of everyone else, and wake more people to the realization that it is time to act. And we also get to up our collective iq by doing Darwin's work

Just now, daveakl said:

None is not only my opinion but the evidence from countless studies and research.  Arguing that guns in schools is a positive thing and prevents / detours gun violence / deaths is not only proven to be false, but a dangerous narrative to push.  

You want to argue about merits and facts, that you need proof before you will believe a certain thing, but here is a perfect example of you contradicting yourself just to antagonize.  Please stop, it demeans all your other posts.

Could you refer me to a study focused on trained and vetted school staff?

not one simply on a guns presence, which I agree adds risk(especially if the only one present is held by someone wanting to kill folk)

I would prefer no guns or armed police response or shooters, but that seems unworkable.

The narrative that banning AK's will address these shootings is dangerous.

Just now, The Sisko said:

as twa has often reminded us, if some misguided individuals of conscience take it upon themselves to employ regrettable, violent methods of protest, there's a lot of grey area there to morally justify it and they can further serve the movement as martyrs from their jail cells.

Cite some posts or apologize, that is the exact opposite of what I have endorsed

or just continue to lie