Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hugh Hefner, Founder of Playboy, Dead at 91

Dan T.

Loved that guy. Had a subscription the moment I got to college and had it for years. God Bless the college issues back in the day. So strange though, was just talking with a buddy about famous people that have passed from our childhood and I was literally just thinking not more than 30 minutes ago that Hef was getting up there in age and we haven't heard from him in awhile.   

Hugh Hefner was a visionary who heavily affected my life during college and after college. You can say what you want about him or his reducing role in his advancing age, but like it or not, that man was the figurehead of the "Playboy" network that I grew to love and appreciate.

If not for Hugh, I would not be as much of a fan of the "Playboy Plus" enterprise as I would be today. Now I'm aware Playboy Plus and the actual Playboy magazine enterprise have slowly started to part ways. In fact, many say that Playboy Plus is starting to head down the ****ter because of their choice of "MetArt" girls. That's a topic for another day. But one thing is undeniable.

Back in the day, Playboy was king. As a young adolescent I was heavily influenced by the latest Playmates of the Month. Women like "Jordan Monroe", Sara Jean Underwood, ladies who made it from college girls posing in Playboy's "Girls of the [Insert P5 Conference]", to Playmates, to legends. Playboy offered a young lad like me the world of "Hot Housewifes", "College Girls", "Voluptuous Vixens", et cetera. Playboy regularly released these magazines as well as their main magazine.

I can't state enough what an impact this man and his enterprise have had on my life. He was a icon to me even in his old age. He set the standard for "softcore" which tickles my fancy, so to speak. Without him, who knows what would happen to me. Maybe I wouldn't be such a fan of softcore, naughty, teasing work. That man...he was a legend, a pioneer, that can't be denied. The sad thing is that the empire he built could not adapt to the internet. In this age where we just go to message boards and seek out the content, or use torrents, a lot of his empire started to crumble. Playboy Plus supposedly was no longer under his control, became another enterprise, used more and more European "Met Art" girls instead of the good, old, wholesome American ladies. The College Girls issues that I ogled over as a kid? Yeah, they're gone. Playboy doesn't have College Girls of the Conference anymore. That makes me sad. The company is going in a new direction now. But don't you forget who set up the company in the first place. In the good old days, where you saw those amateurs or those "girls next door" posing freely for Playboy, expressing their sexuality.

RIP you legend.

RIP, indeed.  

A true visionary, cultural icon.  Dude was also instrumental in being a big supporter of free speech and equality, oddly enough he passes away in a week where we need a voice like that the most.  

@ixcuincle like you, I loved the magazine and the different sub-magazines that came out.  Sad that they're no longer, it was a fun time.  However, I do like the new magazine style, speaking strictly from a photography perspective.  I think the photos are leaps and bounds better, the non-nudity aspect makes me want to see more.  First time I've bought a Playboy in well over a decade because of the new format.

That said, you're right, it couldn't adapt properly to the internet.  

Archived