Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do We Suddenly Have a Dominant Defense?

Going Commando

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The TOP after the first quarter was incredibly lopsided. Don't be fooled by the points. KC carved us up good. They were like 8 or 9 out of 13 on third downs, average was like 7+ yards.

The Chiefs are are a really good offense. They've been smoking people all year. And we were getting eviscerated by injuries.

And the TOP wasn't helped by the fact that the O did nothing the entire 2nd quarter and had a really quick scoring drive in the 3rd.

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The Chiefs are are a really good offense. They've been smoking people all year. And we were getting eviscerated by injuries.

And the TOP wasn't helped by the fact that the O did nothing the entire 2nd quarter and had a really quick scoring drive in the 3rd.

The last 5 drives of KC totaled 50 plays.  4 led to scoring drives while the fifth was a missed FG. Obviously a lot of that was due to injury in the secondary but the big playmakers upfront (is Gallette even worth playing?) didn't do squat, the safeties and Lb missed a lot of tackles, especially at times going for the unnessecary big hit and ultimately missing and some of the penalties were just flat out just poor fundamental brain farts (like the Breeland illegal hands to the face). We were lucky Andy Reid for whatever reason decided to play conservatively in our end and settle for FGs.

this wasn't a great performance by the defense

7 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Um, yeah considering they didn't even convert. And seeing all of our guys helmets almost getting pushed off on D it was obvious the calls weren't going both ways.

Some calls were bad but some were legit. I've completely soured on Bree again and I would consider starting Dunbar over him when Norman is healthy and I think Dunbar is TERRIBLE. I'd rather give up a first on a poor play by our cb then watch the defense stuff em only to give up the first anyways on a boneheaded play. Just demoralizing.

this defense with Norman could be dominant but without him they're below average. He makes that much of a difference.

I dont think our defense is dominate yet for several reasons.  Dominate defenses are smart, they dont commit stupid penalties at crucial times like we did.  They watch the ball and dont jump offsides or line up in the neutral zone over and over again.

They dont struggle against an offensive line with 3 backups playing against them, and they dont commit stupid hands to the face penalties.  Dominate defenses play smart.  We don't yet.  I love how we have big hitters across the board though, I really love that about our defense.

Now as far as the refs and penalties, we can sit around and **** and moan about that.  The refs tossed one or two questionable flags against us but we got away with a couple infractions ourselves.

They could have called a push off on Pryor on his TD and we could have gotten flagged late in the game on that third down play when Kelce came across the middle and got mauled.  I held my breath on that one because I would have bet money that they would have flagged us on that one, but surprisingly they didnt.

Chiefs got some home cooking, no doubt, but I wouldnt say it was more home cooking than everybody gets at home from time to time.  It sucks when you're on the wrong end of it but thats sports.

Atleast we did put up enough fight to have overcome that and that's impressive.

Still think we have a good, possibly very good defense.  

Andy Reid and Smith's legs put a lot of stress on Ds, we had a lot of guys banged up, TOP killed them in the 2nd half, penalties were atrocious (but not our norm for this year) and cost multiple stops, Arrowhead is a tough venue.  

I was unreasonably mad about the last play of the game - scoreboard didn't end up reflecting how close we played them.  Feel bad for the defense because of it.  

Yes... no D can go to fourth safety and sixth corner in the same game against one of the top offenses in the league and survive. Skins have up 1/2 as many points on D as the Pats did against KC anyway. Penalties killed us, but two were horse**** calls and nothing suggests that was anything more than an anomaly. 

If Preston was in the neutral zone on that goalline call, then the same crew has to call the KC TE who failed to make it to the LOS and set-up on the killed clock attempt before their FG. Would have been a ten second runoff and OT.

2 hours ago, LavarArringtonMachine said:

Chiefs got some home cooking, no doubt, but I wouldnt say it was more home cooking than everybody gets at home from time to time.  It sucks when you're on the wrong end of it but thats sports.

That call on Preston Smith during the 3rd down for neutral zone infraction on the goal line, after we had them stopped, was pretty egregious.  So negligible it's not even funny.  Gace the momentum over to KC hands down after they scored that TD

Very disappointed yesterday with our pass rush, KC was playing with a make shift OL and we just didn't get home consistently.  Got to give credit to Smith however, that is one slippery dude.  This is the second time a mobile QB has hurt us.  We need to figure this out we can't allow these QBs to consistently run out of the pocket like that.

But what killed us was the penalties.  Freaking Breeland and Smith along combined to give them an extra 5 first downs when we could have gotten off the field.  That was the difference in the game.

7 hours ago, zoony said:

No way dominant.  Definitely improved.  Maybe good

I agree with this, I'd go from "maybe" to they are good.  But they were dominant in one of the 4 games.   They were good IMO in the other three games, not great.  But a good defense is a huge leap over last year.  The defense wasn't clutch on third down in either last night's game or the Eagles game.   If Galette steps up, might turn to great.  IMO what's missing is a speed edge rusher that wreaks havoc.  Galette could be that guy over time potentially.  

They finished last year 28th in yards per game.  So far this year, they're 10th.  And the teams we played were ranked 3, 5, 28, and 2 in total offense.  But I would imagine the Raider thrashing was an outlier that throws it off a little.  

Because if they gave up to Oakland what they averaged in the other 3 games, they'd be ranked 27th or something like that.  So they're improved, depending on how you look at it.  They seem improved at times, but in the end, it's still easy to move the ball on them.

PFF

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-kansas-city-chiefs-29-washington-redskins-20

DI MATT IOANNIDIS, 84.9 OVERALL GRADE

Ioannidis led the Redskins defense with 6 pressures on a night where they accumulated many against Kansas City. That gives Ioannidis 15 total pressures in his last three games. Ioannidis ended the game with a pass-rush productivity (PRP) of 17.0, which puts him among the elite at his defensive end position and only behind Aaron Donald’s 19.9 this week.

14 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

It's still a very undisciplined one regardless of how we upgrade the personnel. 

The stupid penalties second half were killers. 

Hail. 

There is no question the 2017 defense is improved over 205-2016 defenses but I agree their lack of discipline undermined their efforts by extending drives.

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with this, I'd go from "maybe" to they are good.  But they were dominant in one of the 4 games.   They were good IMO in the other three games, not great.  But a good defense is a huge leap over last year.  The defense wasn't clutch on third down in either last night's game or the Eagles game.   If Galette steps up, might turn to great.  IMO what's missing is a speed edge rusher that wreaks havoc.  Galette could be that guy over time potentially.  

I see Galette flying around but he doesn't get results.  I'm hoping he just hasn't found his groove yet.

9 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I see Galette flying around but he doesn't get results.  I'm hoping he just hasn't found his groove yet.

Same here.   When Ioannidis and Allen are on the field at the same time -- we get good push up the middle.  Be nice to have a scary speed rusher to add to that mix.  Kerrigan and Preston Smith have been good but neither is a speed rusher.  I think Galette adds another element to the defense.

I think this defense is very very good. We had so many injuries yesterday and still found a way to almost win. We should have won. Which is crazy. If we were healthy all game, we probably would have won. I feel good about this team. Our opponents schedule so far is 12-4, and 2 of those 4 losses have come to us. We are in a good spot to have a bye week to recover and get ready to go on a tear when we come back. 

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This alone is why Trent Murphy was such a crushing loss

14 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

This alone is why Trent Murphy was such a crushing loss

I think Murphy would help as to mixing in pass rushers and keeping everyone fresh.  But he's a power rusher, too.  Kerrigan, Preston, Anderson, Murphy = power guys.  Galette = quick get off/speed rusher.  Cooley does a good job explaining it -- ditto Bill Polian -- that is, speed rushers add a good change of pace dynamic to the pass rush and are especially valuable on 3rd and long. 

Archived