Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do We Suddenly Have a Dominant Defense?

Going Commando

5 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

As long as the D-line, safeties, and Fuller continue to play well I think Breeland will be fine without Norman.  I’m mainly worried about Q. Dunbar and the rooks. Breeland took a majority of the heat for big pass plays given up last season but Dunbar and Will Blackmon were out of position quite a bit too.

I was encouraged by Dunbar's play last Sunday.  Even covered a double move well.  Still, gotta expect a pretty sharp drop off from Norman to him.  

On 04/10/2017 at 1:07 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

At the end of the day, pressure is pressure.  An edge bending speed rusher is nice, but I'll take four Kerrigans or four Murphy's if that's what we can get.  Losing Murphy's 9 sacks was a real blow.  Right now, Galette isn't pulling Murphy's weight, which is how I had hoped we would cope with the injury.  Either he or Anderson need to step up for the defense to get back to how they played against Oakland.  Especially with the secondary taking such a catastrophic hit.

And yet we are still tied for #3 in sacks across the league. If Galette can find some form (and after 2 years out, you can hardly blame him for being rusty - although I agree, he needs to start shaping up soon) then our pass rush will be a problem.

You know we talked about our injuries on the D side but our line didn't have any injuries which is perplexing because we should have done a better job pressuring Smith.  The Chiefs OL had at least a couple of starters out also, we didn't take advantage of that enough IMO.  But what really hurt us, the stupid penalties which kept the D on the field much longer than it should have been out there.  Not to mention a couple of major miscues by Perine and Pryor on the offense.

20 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Revenge for what? Employing him for several years?

I don't mean revenge in the mortal combat type of way.  I mean it in the extra pumped up to play.  Based on observing Pierre Garcon's persona yeah I think he will be extra juiced to play this one.  The dude can be hot headed/emotional on a normal day (part of what made him arguably a good receiver) coming back to the DC -- after outwardly saying he wants to stay and from what I gathered wasn't even given an offer -- I don't think I'm going on some wild leap that he will be extra fired up to play this game.  If you don't think so, OK.  No way to know. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's your feeling about it.  That's fine.   

I don't mean revenge in the mortal combat type of way.  I mean it in the extra pumped up to play.  Based on observing Pierre Garcon's persona yeah I think he will be extra juiced to play this one.  The dude can be hot headed/emotional on a normal day (part of what made him arguably a good receiver) coming back to the DC -- after outwardly saying he wants to stay and from what I gathered wasn't even given an offer -- I don't think I'm going on some wild leap that he will be fired up to play this game.  If you don't think so, OK.  No way to know. 

aed.gif

;) 

18 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Something called a Hoyer I think? ??

49ers played Seattle to 3 points, Rams to 2 points, lost two games in overtime.  I like the bravado/confidence on this site but IMO lets see the team turn a corner where it doesn't play down to their competition from time to time (and I do think they will turn that corner this season but I just want to see it first).    Almost every season, we get upset by some struggling team out of the blue.   I'd like to see that not happen this season for a change.   And this is coming from a guy who predicted they'd go 10-6 before the season even after panic was seeping in by some about the preseason. 

I like this team a lot.  But I'd like to see the movie play out before I feel overconfident.  I am still nervous before every game I'll still be so even for the 49ers one. :)

Edit:  just checked out Garcon's numbers. For a guy who has no one to throw him the ball -- his numbers are by a mile better than any receiver on our team.  20 catches. 285 yards. 14.3 average per catch.  He's on pace for about 100 catch, 1000 yard season.  

15 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

aed.gif

;) 

Perfect reference. :)

On 10/8/2017 at 3:00 AM, TheGreek1973 said:

You know we talked about our injuries on the D side but our line didn't have any injuries which is perplexing because we should have done a better job pressuring Smith.  The Chiefs OL had at least a couple of starters out also, we didn't take advantage of that enough IMO.  But what really hurt us, the stupid penalties which kept the D on the field much longer than it should have been out there.  Not to mention a couple of major miscues by Perine and Pryor on the offense.

Truth right here

22 hours ago, campbellcooleyconnection said:

We usually come out FLAT after the bye,we'll see if this team is different.

Last year we beat the Vikings after the bye week ;) 

though I think under Gruden, we’re 1-2. Lost to the buccaneers in 2014. Lost to the patriots in 2015. Beat the Vikings in 2016 

On 10/8/2017 at 11:49 AM, skinny21 said:

I think we put more pressure on Smith than it seemed, but the guy's elusive and we struggled keeping him in the pocket.  

Still, I agree that with their oline injuries, I thought we'd see more.  

It seemed like once Norman left the game, we stopped blitzing.  We were trying to get pressure with 3 or 4 man fronts.

5 hours ago, D'Pablo said:

It seemed like once Norman left the game, we stopped blitzing.  We were trying to get pressure with 3 or 4 man fronts.

It's what they did against the Raiders, worked pretty well. If they can pressure Hoyer with their front 4, I think the backfield holds up well, and Skins win without much problem.

9 hours ago, D'Pablo said:

Manusky hasn't done much blitzing so far, he's trusted the Dline to create pressure. 

The penalties and injuries hurt us, but I believe the biggest problem was that the offense only held the ball for a minute and change in the 3rd quarter, which effectively left our D gassed for the entire 2nd half. 

We can win games where we lose the ToP battle, but overcoming 33mins to 12mins over the final 3Qs is always going to be unlikely.

14 hours ago, LavarArringtonMachine said:

This would be a concern if we were playing a good team.  We are playing the 49ers though, no worries.  We will blow them off the map just like we did the Raiders.

You guys act they are horrible. More like a play or two from winning IMO.  The niners have lost 3 games by 3 or 2 points and lost two in overtime.  It is not like anyone pummeled them.  The Rams and Seattle are respectable and they played them very tight.   Couple of key guys may be out for the Skins.  I think it is up to the Skin's offense to win this game.   Lets see what game plan Gruden dials up and how accurate Cousin's is coming out of the bye.  I would like to see real good distribution of the ball all the way around.    And give Brown a few more touches in this game.  

It's tough. Outside of the Raiders game the defense has been slight above average. As for the Raiders watching that game they looked horrible. I'm not saying the Skins didn't look great, but I'm wondering how much of that game was the Raiders getting in their own way. 

SF will be a decent test. They are not a good team and Washington has had an extra week to prepare. With the following schedule going @Phi, Dal then @ Sea along with SF being 0-5 I worry about it being a 'trap game', but this is where a good defense typically steps up and wins you the game. 

I can say one thing with 100% confidence - They are better. Previously when teams didn't bring their A game they still were able to move the ball and score points. It was as if the team could only go as far as the offense would take them. This is different. The D is actually holding their own, which is a pleasant surprise. I wasn't a fan of firing the DC, then replacing him with one of his coordinators, but it appears to be working out. 

6 minutes ago, Unbias said:

It's tough. Outside of the Raiders game the defense has been slight above average. As for the Raiders watching that game they looked horrible. I'm not saying the Skins didn't look great, but I'm wondering how much of that game was the Raiders getting in their own way. 

SF will be a decent test. They are not a good team and Washington has had an extra week to prepare. With the following schedule going @Phi, Dal then @ Sea along with SF being 0-5 I worry about it being a 'trap game', but this is where a good defense typically steps up and wins you the game. 

I can say one thing with 100% confidence - They are better. Previously when teams didn't bring their A game they still were able to move the ball and score points. It was as if the team could only go as far as the offense would take them. This is different. The D is actually holding their own, which is a pleasant surprise. I wasn't a fan of firing the DC, then replacing him with one of his coordinators, but it appears to be working out. 

Slightly above average is a little unfair. We held the Rams to 20 when until this week they were averaging near 40. We held the Chiefs to 23 when they've put up 30+ on just about everyone it seems and that's with guys getting hurt left and right. We held the Eagles to 23 and 7 of those were off a muffed punt.

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Slightly above average is a little unfair. We held the Rams to 20 when until this week they were averaging near 40. We held the Chiefs to 23 when they've put up 30+ on just about everyone it seems and that's with guys getting hurt left and right. We held the Eagles to 23 and 7 of those were off a muffed punt.

*10 points off of muffed punt and a Perine fumble on our 12 yard line

The D went from a weakness to a strength in one off-season, which I honestly didn't think was possible. They rank in the top 10, give or take a few spots, in the significant stat categories. 

The only way that the 9ers could be a test is if ALL of our injured players don't make it back on the field. I don't like missing Norman, but we shouldn't need him in this one.

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

That's very fair. They are a good group and at no points this season did I think they were overwhelmed or helpless. If anything I've had that feeling about the O from time to time. 

On 10/8/2017 at 11:49 AM, skinny21 said:

I think we put more pressure on Smith than it seemed, but the guy's elusive and we struggled keeping him in the pocket.  

Still, I agree that with their oline injuries, I thought we'd see more.  

I agree. I really underestimated how elusive he is. He made several good runs on the fly. He looked very accurate and decisive on broken plays. Definitely have more respect for him after that game.

Our defense was getting after him but he seemed to be a step ahead. Our defense was banging with a nop notch offense and damn near made it happen. What hurt most was time of possession.  

“Oh, man, that’s what we do,” Nicholson said of Swearinger's actions. “If you saw in the Kansas City game, when [tight end Travis] Kelce did the same thing to him, I stepped in. This is a brotherhood over here. You don’t come between that. Don’t try to talk down to us, we don’t like that. To anyone who thinks they can or wants to try us? Please, for your sake, don’t because we will make you pay -- but within the lines of the game.”

“I gave the momentum and have to be smarter about keeping my cool,” Swearinger said. “I don’t appreciate no one celebrating when one of my guys is hurt. I have to keep my cool, but I’ll stand up for my guy any time. Anytime that situation happens, you celebrate when my guy’s hurt, I’m gonna stand up. But I have to do a better job of not getting penalties.”

Swearinger has added a new level of leadership in the secondary and on the defense overall. In training camp, he was the one exhorting backups -- many of whom would be cut -- during full-team drills versus the offense. He’s the one who gathers players before their first practice of the week to remind them of what’s at stake.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/33691/d-j-swearinger-upset-with-pierre-garcon-after-big-collision

This doesn't necessarily mean we've got a dominant defense, but I like that attitude.  Swearinger sticking up for Nicholson, Nicholson, the rookie, sticking up for Swearinger.  

IMO, the attitude goes a long way towards having that swagger, confidence and performance on a weekly basis.  

We don't have a dominant defense, but we have the makings of an above solid/good defense. I think if we can somehow get through the injuries I'd say we can field a good defense. Manusky, a good draft, and some under the radar free agent pick ups have turned this D from a laughing stock into a respectable one.

Archived