Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do We Suddenly Have a Dominant Defense?

Going Commando

15 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

yeah Ive experienced it too a few times in my younger days. Made some ridiculous plays while under that heightened testosterone driven whatever it is

Absolutely in younger days (56 now).  Good times.  You didn't even have to think about anything.  It just flowed....can't explain, but truly, real. Hail

The last great D we had was 2005, but the difference between that year and this year is this year there is a LOT more young talent. In 05 the only real great young player was Sean Taylor(RIP). The rest were very expensive vets: Cornelius Griffin, Shawn Springs, Marcus Washington etc. In 2017 we have a good mix of youth and experience. Young player like Allen, Ioanidis, Nicholson, Breeland, Fuller but vets like Norman, Swearinger, Brown, etc.

Loved the Spaight pick from day 1 and it felt like GMSM pick you just knew would work out, was just a matter of when. Was bummed when he lost his rookie season and was stashed on IR after a concussion.

Last week after seeing Foster hit the inactives list I told my buddy that it would be amazing if Spaight got the nod over Compton, because I anticipated Compton being a huge weakness that Carr would exploit down the middle. I guess he technically didn't start as Will Compton was the Mike in base, but we only came out in our base 3-4 for I think a total of 4 snaps. Spaight was the Mike the remainder (majority) of snaps. I think his performance was lost/forgotten in a game where so many players balled out, but for him to finish one tackle behind Zach Brown was incredible. Yet another unit that has excellent depth on this defense.

I banged on the table for Ryan Anderson in the draft thread after discovering him and reading some of the same articles being re-posted now. Didn't care that we just drafted Preston and Murphy. Before Allen unexpectedly fell to us, my ideal scenario would have been to trade back and draft Ryan Anderson with a late first to ensure someone didn't get him before us in the 2nd. So you can imagine how giddy I was when we were still able to get him in the 2nd after stealing Allen from the rest of the idiotic league.

I was largely ignored for the most part around here when I said the types of FA and draft additions we made this off-season had the potential to create a "Legion-of-Boom"-type fraternity on defense. I'm not waiting for the other shoe to drop like some are, expecting this to be a fluke. This defense is the real deal, I just wasn't expecting them to gel and be playing at this level until mid-season with how many new pieces their were. But I don't think anyone could have predicted what we saw last week. We're finally seeing the defense that Scot McCloughan promised the fanbase the day he was hired: one that opposing teams KNOW that they played the week after. Just ask Crabtree.

The home-run we hit on this draft is what kept me optimistic throughout all the off-season drama surrounding Scot and Kirk's contract that left many others down about the teams outlook. I've never been so confident about the players we selected than I was this year. Actually, I pretty much never have been if I'm being honest.

It's just so incredibly nice after years and years of terrible teams with top-heavy rosters constructed out of band aids, over the hill free agents, and little to no help from terrible draft classes that couldn't withstand a single injury to a starter or the season was tanked...to finally see our team being built the right way. We were able to weather harsh media and fan criticism while slowly building a competitive team the CORRECT way. Through the draft. And our owner didn't get impatient and blow it up before seeing it all pay off. Jay is still here and is proving his critics wrong that ignorantly gave too much credit to wonder-boy McVay.

For us to draft a player like Montae Nicholson who we "reached" on if you asked ANYONE, was a "head-scratcher" to the draftniks covering the pick live on TV, and was pretty much hated on this message board immediately gives me so much faith in our scouting department. Unless you believe that we won't be able to find that sort of talent with Scot gone(not buying that though). We stuck to OUR board, not kipers, not McShays, not the fans, the REDSKINS. WE knew we got a player, and that's all that freaking mattered. 

I always found it interesting that the good teams like the Steelers, Ravens, Packers, Patriots, Seahawks, etc... When they would draft their 2nd/3rd/4th rounders... It was almost never household names or players that aligned with the media/fan mock drafts or "consensus" top players available. Always the head scratchers. Funnily enough, it also was always those players that ended up being the "how did the rest of the league miss this kid" type picks. That's what Montae Nicholson feels like to me.

I'm just ecstatic to see all of this unfold before our eyes. And to be honest? We probably witnessed the top performance we will get all year, last week. But if we even come within 75% of that the rest of the season, we will be a serious playoff threat. Especially if Pryor and Doctson continue to get better on the outside and one of the two emerge as an outside threat/#1. I don't even want to start daydreaming about the possibilities if Perine develops into the lead back I think he can be. If the lightbulb goes on for him...look out.

Gonna be such a fun year to watch as a fan. Oh, and I can't envision Kirk walking after this either. Things are looking up guys. Enjoy it.

3 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Loved the Spaight pick from day 1 and it felt like GMSM pick you just knew would work out, was just a matter of when. Was bummed when he lost his rookie season and was stashed on IR after a concussion.

Last week after seeing Foster hit the inactives list I told my buddy that it would be amazing if Spaight got the nod over Compton, because I anticipated Compton being a huge weakness that Carr would exploit down the middle. I guess he technically didn't start as Will Compton was the Mike in base, but we only came out in our base 3-4 for I think a total of 4 snaps. Spaight was the Mike the remainder (majority) of snaps. I think his performance was lost/forgotten in a game where so many players balled out, but for him to finish one tackle behind

Edit

Gonna be such a fun year to watch as a fan. Oh, and I can't envision Kirk walking after this either. Things are looking up guys. Enjoy it.

In general I agree. Just two things:  

i like spaight a lot. But he missed two big tackles that i. saw that he just can't miss. He lunged at a few guys who made him look bad. But I believe that will clean up with more reps.  

I was was not down on the team due to the Kirk contract just BA who screwed the pooch no matter how you look at it. I don't see Kirk leaving either but he will not be cheap.  I hope BA realizes if this team performs well this year - PO run possible div win - he can't let Kirk walk. He will be run out of town.  He has swallow his pride and get it done. Period. 

Anyone else hear the rumor that the Raiders offensive line purposely threw the game because Carr stood for the anthem while they sat? It is suspicious that we sack a guy four times who never gets sacked.  Dont get me wrong we still played great but if true it would explain every single lineman of ours getting home on the same play on multiple occassions.

2 hours ago, PerryMason said:

Anyone else hear the rumor that the Raiders offensive line purposely threw the game because Carr stood for the anthem while they sat? It is suspicious that we sack a guy four times who never gets sacked.  Dont get me wrong we still played great but if true it would explain every single lineman of ours getting home on the same play on multiple occassions.

I saw that too but chalked it up to salty raider fans in denial.  You look at those plays and those guys are pissed when Carr gets sacked.  Just childish excuses.  

11 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I was largely ignored for the most part around here when I said the types of FA and draft additions we made this off-season had the potential to create a "Legion-of-Boom"-type fraternity on defense. I'm not waiting for the other shoe to drop like some are, expecting this to be a fluke. This defense is the real deal, I just wasn't expecting them to gel and be playing at this level until mid-season with how many new pieces their were. But I don't think anyone could have predicted what we saw last week. We're finally seeing the defense that Scot McCloughan promised the fanbase the day he was hired: one that opposing teams KNOW that they played the week after. Just ask Crabtree.

11 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

For us to draft a player like Montae Nicholson who we "reached" on if you asked ANYONE, was a "head-scratcher" to the draftniks covering the pick live on TV, and was pretty much hated on this message board immediately gives me so much faith in our scouting department. Unless you believe that we won't be able to find that sort of talent with Scot gone(not buying that though). We stuck to OUR board, not kipers, not McShays, not the fans, the REDSKINS. WE knew we got a player, and that's all that freaking mattered. 

I always found it interesting that the good teams like the Steelers, Ravens, Packers, Patriots, Seahawks, etc... When they would draft their 2nd/3rd/4th rounders... It was almost never household names or players that aligned with the media/fan mock drafts or "consensus" top players available. Always the head scratchers. Funnily enough, it also was always those players that ended up being the "how did the rest of the league miss this kid" type picks. That's what Montae Nicholson feels like to me.

I had to stop logging in and reading every message because it was getting me too mad too early in the morning, and I commented on this in the death of ES thread, but this offseason more than most others it seemed like the group-think of we suck / we're stupid / anything we do must be a bad move because we did it was so often hyped up here that it got so frustrating. And it wasn't like previous times when there'd be a Kirk Crowd and an anti-Kirk crowd, or a RG3 crowd and a Kirk Crowd, or a Colt crowd and a McNabb crowd, etc. It seemed that most every move we did was so harshly criticized here that it was surprising that people weren't predicting 3-13 (maybe they were). We had one guy going on 3 - 4 page rants about the importance of a NT and how we would have the worse defense in the league because we didn't draft a NT. Then there was the Baker situation, the Jackson/Garcon situations, Kirk, DW & Scot, etc. Not to mention the DC and how many people just KNEW we were destined to be ranked 32nd since we settled for Manusky at DC. 

So thanks for providing some optimism based on sound reason this offseason. There were a few others and I tried myself at times, but for the most part I had to bow out and just look for the posts of a few - and some were yours. Thanks. 

15 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I had to stop logging in and reading every message because it was getting me too mad too early in the morning,......So thanks for providing some optimism based on sound reason this offseason. There were a few others and I tried myself at times, but for the most part I had to bow out and just look for the posts of a few - and some were yours. Thanks. 

After years of Battered Fan Syndrome (perfect ES, Redskins fan name) It is understandable. To pontificate disdain for every move is frustrating though, especially projecting that "Of course it won't work out". I was skeptical of the D, as admitted in the Confessional thread. Was concerned about the DL especially. I did not see the effect Tomsula would have and the new additions gelling so quick.

I think my current sig stands the test of time, I won't be disappointed by getting to high on the team at this point. I also will enjoy what I so far see as major steps and progress, a good D can change a teams record by 3-4 wins with decent O play matching it. 

Was the Raiders game an anomaly? Time will tell. It appears my old Sig, "Scot knows more about picking players than the collective ES knows about picking it's own nose" is standing the test of time. I just wish Bruce would have stayed Presidential and let Scot do his thing. I am quite sure Scot's tenure was affected at least somewhat by his stance on Kirk's contract. 

That said, A win is a win, and winning changes everything. When you don't Win you suck, when you Win, you are a winner. Let's hope for a winning season, starting with a MNF going into a bye. Would be so huge, Road game against a legit opponent. And I think we have a chance. 

Oh and already knew Manusky would be an upgrade, lol, how could he be worse? 

It's not really time yet for everybody to apologize for doubting Manusky, IMO. He pretty much fit the bill of the Barry hire and Hazlett so it's OK if he's a surprise positive, same with Tomsula. I'm sure they will be better than last years defense, we have some better players too even though we lost a few, but it's only 3 games. I remember a lot of people saying the same things after Barrys defense didn't lose us a couple games in a row too. They actually created turnovers on occasion and the offense took advantage. Then the defense returned to it's standard level of suck.

With all those injuries on D and playing in KC this week and Andy Reid having an extra day to prepare, I won't be surprised to hear "same old defense" next week. Depending on how bad it goes I might even be saying it myself :ols:

Here's the deal. For too long now coaches and players have talked about how great a certain unit or player is going to be only to have egg on their face.

How about we actually sit back and watch this defended become "dominant" when they do it on a consistent basis? 

Believe me. When I was watching that defense last week I was in total amazement over what I was seeing. Now let's hope it keeps going.

8 hours ago, PerryMason said:

It's funny that anybody would actually believe that but if it's true I hope that the next 13 teams do the same thing.

It sure beats the alternative of them deciding to take it out on the Redskins because being in DC we could be called "Trump's Team" lol.

17 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

The home-run we hit on this draft is what kept me optimistic throughout all the off-season drama surrounding Scot and Kirk's contract that left many others down about the teams outlook. I've never been so confident about the players we selected than I was this year. Actually, I pretty much never have been if I'm being honest.

For me, I hated how the Scot thing unfolded as to how they set up the current FO structure and how the Kirk contract panned out -- however, I was still big time optimistic about this season.  I predicted 10-6 before the season.  I think the problems of both the FO structure and potentially Kirk would be felt in later years (2018 and beyond, potentially) not right away -- considering we are still directly in the throes of working with a team built by the right structure and Kirk is still here.    

Whether its Scot or whomever making the calls -- this season IMO shows the power of patience when it comes to letting your drafts play out. Preston Smith is arguably our best pass rusher right now.  Ioannidis perhaps the best D lineman.  Fuller is an excellent slot corner.  If you made all these points last year -- they would be laughable.  This year, Anderson hasn't made much of an impact, yet.  But if we give him time, I think he will blossom.  

As for the defense going forward, I like its potential. A lot of young guys.  As for who I liked before our signings and the draftL  I was a big Zach Brown guy in the FA thread well before we signed him.   I loved the Swearinger signing but that was more in retrospect than prospectively.  Loved Jonathan Allen, I recall saying ironically on the game day draft thread, Bruce trade up for Allen.  I never dreamt he'd fall to 17.  Overall, the talent on defense is good.  Though I am superstitious crowing too much since the season is young. 

5 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

After years of Battered Fan Syndrome (perfect ES, Redskins fan name) It is understandable. To pontificate disdain for every move is frustrating though, especially projecting that "Of course it won't work out". I was skeptical of the D, as admitted in the Confessional thread. Was concerned about the DL especially. I did not see the effect Tomsula would have and the new additions gelling so quick.

Like I said, its not that any one person had doubts. Its that this place collectively became like going to another team's board and asking what they thought of us. We were coming off two winning seasons and I just couldn't fathom not being able to come here and just talk about something positive. It made the offseason seem so much longer since instead of hypothesizing how good Montae Nicholson could be at FS/SS, we had to hear how bad our FO was and how Scot wouldn't have picked him. I don't even want to read through the thread to see the people say "my bad" because the offseason is over. 

And Manusky was heavily criticized here. It didn't surprise me too much because it was similar to the Haslett and Barry hires, and even more the Greg Blache, but without the winning ways of GregG Williams. But there was the "how could we pass on Phillips, AGAIN", the "we couldn't get who we wanted so we settled", the "he's been a DC before and sucked there too". I could understand not being optimistic on this hire so I wasn't as stressed by the fans about this one. Hopefully though, we can continue this success so that next offseason this place can be happier. 

5 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

It seemed that most every move we did was so harshly criticized here that it was surprising that people weren't predicting 3-13 (maybe they were). We had one guy going on 3 - 4 page rants about the importance of a NT and how we would have the worse defense in the league because we didn't draft a NT. Then there was the Baker situation, the Jackson/Garcon situations, Kirk, DW & Scot, etc. Not to mention the DC and how many people just KNEW we were destined to be ranked 32nd since we settled for Manusky at DC. 

As a guy who has been active on most of the heated threads of the off season :), I didn't really find this point to be true.  If people are left with the idea that people were flailing against everything, I think that's a function of strongly disagreeing with some of their specific points where in turn it just feels to them like its global.  But yeah I recall well who had their pet peeves about this or that issue.  Different folks for the most part were on different points with an occasional overlap. 

I backed the Redskins moves on a bunch of stuff that got panned by others.  For example, I was a big Manusky guy.  I touted most of the FA signings and touted the draft.  I was a homer before the season and predicted 10-6.  I didn't panic after the loss to the Eagles and fought the tide of negativity on a couple of threads on that point.   I was ok with letting D-Jax and Garcon go (though I don't think that's a position to crow about, yet).   I even backed Bruce on letting Scot go as long as he had a viable Plan B.   On all of that stuff, I don't recall debating the same people who were just being negative on everything.  Most people had their own nuanced position. 

I think where you have some convergence is the people who aren't happy with the current FO structure most of them also aren't happy with the Kirk contract.  I am in that group.  But that's still specific not global.   I have taken many more homer positions than negative ones.  It's not even close.  So I've argued on both sides of the aisle so to speak.  And I find different players on different sides depending on the subject for the most part.  

As for the negativity about the team's prospects.  I think a lot of that was driven by the national media.  They have been brutal as to their predictions.  I posted a lot on it.  I recall Bucky Brooks doing a segment about how the Giants can print their NFC Champions shirt now.  That's funny in retrospect.  Having said that, even though I've been optimistic about this team for this season, I think we might be jumping the gun.  I still recall the we are the beasts of the east stuff from Smoot years back, Baker and RJF crowing last season about being the beasts of the easts and that all was followed by a losing streak.  So we've had our moments in seasons when the team has felt chesty.   I love where they are at right now.  But I'd love to see it keep going before I start counting the chickens. 

I will likely stay optimistic for the ride but I'l stay cautious about full declarations.  This game tomorrow is one heck of a test for the defense.  If they play well, I'll feel easier as to relaxing about all the rest of the games going forward. :) 

Well, let me put it this way....I hadn't watched much of the NFL for years, but these guys brought me back. Really excited about what Jonathan Allen brings to the front, and I'm an OU fan, so having Perine on offense got me interested again. 

I think the pieces are in place to build a dominant defense for the long haul, but only time will tell. 

17 minutes ago, HOGPOWER said:

Well, let me put it this way....I hadn't watched much of the NFL for years, but these guys brought me back. Really excited about what Jonathan Allen brings to the front, and I'm an OU fan, so having Perine on offense got me interested again. 

I think the pieces are in place to build a dominant defense for the long haul, but only time will tell. 

• Content count4
  • JoinedWednesday at 02:52 PM

Just be careful of those expectations, you might be going into hibernation without much effort before years end. This team is a team that is highly unpredictable based on recent track record. Hopefully that is behind us, I am neither Sold nor un-Sold at this point. 

32 minutes ago, Hail4Life said:

I just love my fellow es'ers! After week 1 it was gloom and doom but after that ass stomping sunday night its capital punishment! Love it and lets hope the good times keep on rollin'!

Getting beat by the Eagles at home left no room for optimism. 

LA Rams are 3-1. We're the only team that's beat them.

They're the highest scoring team in the league.

In the 3 wins, they've put up 35, 41 and 46 points... Our Defense held them to 20.

Not exactly definitive, but it's another sign pointing to our D being legit.

Archived