Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tax Bill

LadySkinsFan

• 2 weeks later...

People just need to accept the fact that a half tank of gas more in their pay check is not worth the trade off for these kinds of tax cuts.   I've seen people legitimately trying to argue that anywhere between $17-25 more in their paychecks make it all worth it. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Goddammit Trump ****ed me again.  The upper limit for the social security payroll tax went up by $5,000. 

Not sure I'd blame Trump for that.  Doesn't seem like something the R's would do.  

I mean, it increases revenue for SS, which I don't think the R's want to do.  They want to claim it's bankrupt, so they can demand cuts to it.  

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

Not sure I'd blame Trump for that.  Doesn't seem like something the R's would do.  

I mean, it increases revenue for SS, which I don't think the R's want to do.  They want to claim it's bankrupt, so they can demand cuts to it.  

It's pegged to inflation.  I'm being somewhat facetious.  

• 3 months later...

Crush your taxes, then a cold one: Natty Light giving away free beer this tax season

The coronavirus pandemic has extended tax season by a few weeks. If you're lacking the motivation to get things done, maybe some free beer will do the trick.

Natural Light wants to help you get your taxes done. You have until July 15, so don't sweat it just yet.

But, when you are ready, if you use TaxAct.com, you can get a free case of Natty Light after you file. The companies are joining forces to give you some "un-beer-lievable" motivation, forming an unexpected dynamic duo.

Click on the link for the full article

• 8 months later...

So I'm doing my taxes right now.

First time I'm ever going to owe money to the government in my 20+ years of doing taxes. Exactly nothing has changed at all for me as far as my withholdings go over the last 5 years. I (and we as a household) made less money last year than I did the year before. Looks like I'm going to owe THOUSANDS of dollars to the fed.

Thanks a ****ing lot Donald Trump and all you other republican assholes.

• Sad 4

Did your paychecks increase? Sounds like your withholding needs to be adjusted. There a lot of people that got screwed by that. Their paychecks went up because their old way of withholding was incorrect, and now they owe come tax time. 

you really have to compare effective tax rates based on filing to know how your situation changed. Simply saying owing more or less at filing time is not a good measurement. 

That said, I think it was a terrible change. Over the course of the change our effective tax rate has plummeted significantly while our annual household income has increased significantly. The net change is so drastic that our nominal taxes is less now - not just the rate but the dollar amount. That’s dumb. We didn’t need tax relief. And we value what taxes pay for. And we’re watching people who could use relief not really get any. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

Did your paychecks increase? Sounds like your withholding needs to be adjusted. There a lot of people that got screwed by that. Their paychecks went up because their old way of withholding was incorrect, and now they owe come tax time. 

you really have to compare effective tax rates based on filing to know how your situation changed. Simply saying owing more or less at filing time is not a good measurement. 

That said, I think it was a terrible change. Over the course of the change our effective tax rate has plummeted significantly while our annual household income has increased significantly. The net change is so drastic that our nominal taxes is less now - not just the rate but the dollar amount. That’s dumb. We didn’t need tax relief. And we value what taxes pay for. And we’re watching people who could use relief not really get any. 

I’ll wait until we finalize but at first glance, comparing to taxes before this plan, my taxable income increased by about 20% under Trump’s plan. The only thing that saved us last year was that we could deduct preschool costs. This year, they had preschool for 2 Months before everything shut down.

Taxes: What you can actually deduct after working from home for most of 2020

The coronavirus pandemic forced millions of American workers to quickly transition to a work-from-home (WFH) setup, but not every worker had a turnkey office in their house or apartment.

So, many people bought new chairs, desks, and other office equipment out of pocket to accommodate their WFH arrangement.

Now some may wonder: Can I deduct those costs and others on my 2020 federal tax returns?

“The answer depends on the status of individuals,” Lewis Taub, a certified public accountant and director of tax services at the New York office of Berkowitz Pollack Brant Advisors, told Yahoo Money. “If they’re employees who work at a company or if they are self-employed.”

Regular employees
Many companies allowed or even encouraged their employees to work from home during the coronavirus pandemic, but any expenses employees incurred to make the new setup work aren’t deductible on your federal income tax returns. Nor are any expenses related to your home office space, like utilities, insurance, or taxes.

That’s because the Tax Cut and Jobs Act, signed into law at the end of 2017 under the Trump administration, got rid of the unreimbursed business expense deduction for employees along with the home office deduction for employees.

Click on the link for the full article

14 hours ago, HOF44 said:

I don’t even want to talk about what I paid in taxes this year.  

14 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Me either. 

I do.

Last year was our first year collecting Social Security. I withheld money  monthly & paid my fed & state taxes quarterly. I did my first run on Turbotax on Wednesday and found out that Virginia doesn't tax SS. 

image.png.5f3b555d8b38a3af70ba3cd6e658913c.png

• Like 1