Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tax Bill

LadySkinsFan

I named this thread Tax Stuff because we don't know what the final euphemism the Republicans will use for their latest legislation of taking from everyone and giving to the rich. 

We do know it will be as massive as they can make it.

So we can use this space to discuss the upcoming legislation.

FB_IMG_1506519448049.jpg

Edited by LadySkinsFan

In any event, I just don't understand how Trump's base can fall for this scam.  He ran as a populist, and now wants to give huge tax breaks to himself and other very rich people.

All of the details have not been hashed out yet, but here is an analysis by the Tax Policy Center at Brookings.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/publications/analysis-donald-trumps-revised-tax-plan/full

4 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

1457.75 less you'll have to pay (just in terms of tax brackets without anything else thrown in)

Can you explain how you got to this?

1 minute ago, steve09ru said:

not sure what childless filing jointly is set at - didn't have that listed in the link above

Yes it does.  No change, 25% for both plans.  Of course, the country as a whole has $5 trillion less, if you care about that.  

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So it seems like most tax brackets go down except very low incomes.  Is this incorrect?

Im all for mother****ing Don T, but I want to at least be factual about it.

All go down except the 15-19k range or 30-39k range for married filing jointly.  Those are at a 2% increase

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Can you explain how you got to this?

Yes it does.  No change, 25% for both plans.  Of course, the country as a whole has $5 trillion less, if you care about that.  

Running through the tax brackets comparing last year and the proposal.  $32,138.75 was paid in through old and with this it would be $30,681 for married childless joint

Can you add in the table for with child?  I couldn't see it and am wondering about the up to amounts.  I was just answering the question, not saying that $5 trillion less would be good :)

Edited by steve09ru

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

So it seems like most tax brackets go down except very low incomes.  Is this incorrect?

Im all for mother****ing Don T, but I want to at least be factual about it.

Yes, the poor take it on the chin. 

Also remember, they are talking about taking away the mortgage deduction and others, so itemized deductions won't count for much.

4 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

All go down except the 15-19k range or 30-39k range for married filing jointly.  Those are at a 2% increase

Running through the tax brackets comparing last year and the proposal

Can you add in the table for with child?  I couldn't see it and am wondering about the up to amounts.  I was just answering the question, not saying that $5 trillion less would be good :)

Right, but GreatBuzz asked about a family of 2 making $125-150k.  That puts him in the childless married couple filing jointly table (the one on the right), which says this:

image.png.593f56f39d8e3e8b15c21a68e289049d.png

His bracket stays the same.  

And they don't have a table for with child, unfortunately. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Right, but GreatBuzz asked about a family of 2 making $125-150k.  That puts him in the childless married couple filing jointly table (the one on the right), which says this:

image.png.593f56f39d8e3e8b15c21a68e289049d.png

His bracket stays the same.  

And they don't have a table for with child, unfortunately. 

is bracket stays the same from 105k to the 125-150k but he would see a decrease on the brackets prior.  It ladders up, so he would see decreases in the below:

image.png.4ca49b5b26e13fbca9230634b50f0c0b.png

So for their earning from 20,700 to 30,000 they won't pay any taxes.  From 30-39k they'd have a +2 increase

Edited by steve09ru

disregard the comment on 15k-20 earners seeing an increase.  They'd still see a decrease so it'd be a decrease across the board but as stated, still the $5 trillion as a country that wouldn't be good.  But from the review, it sounds like there are options that would offset the loss from the tax cuts and the big driving in the increase of deficit over the coming years is around interest rates.

also to note would be if anything happened to standard or itemized deductions

Edited by steve09ru

Increasing the standard deduction is a good thing for lower income taxpayers. Personally I think we'd be better off eliminating nearly every itemized deduction, as these disproportionately benefit the rich, but increasing the standard deduction will help people.

The problem is that increasing the standard deduction is decreasing gov't revenue. Not a problem if that's offset somehow, but predictably the top marginal rate is lowered (and I really doubt there will be cost cutting as an offset). 

This is better than the old GOP plan of "**** it, just cut taxes for rich people and see what happens." Not significantly, but better than I would have expected. 

• Like 5