Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP-Is anyone actually excited for this Redskins season?

actorguy1

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is complete and utter BS and a tired narrative.

If we're still here through all this, I think it's safe to say that we'd prefer not to be displeased.  

I reckon those of your ilk routinely expect great things and spin most everything the team does in to a positive every season.  Hell, I used to do it too.  Let's just say you've been wrong more than right for a few decades.

I'll concede I'm a positive guy but the way some fans act around here would give the impression that we had back to back 1-15 seasons instead of two seasons above .500

honestly I don't know anyone wouldn't be excited especially because of the last two seasons and how we finished last season. It was disappointing knowing we had our playoff destiny in our hands and blew it but if anything it makes me as a fan excited to see how the team responds to being so close to a playoff spot only to come up short.

Many here are LITERALLY only looking at the off-season as a complete and utter negative. Many see the Scot situation and summarize the off-season based solely on that and what they think it represents. Many look at not signing Cousins as the definitive attribute of the off-season in terms of whether it was successful or a failure. The team came close last year and for the most part spent the off-season attempting to fix the biggest problems that affected the team last year.

if none of this excites you as a fan, if none of this makes you giddy for the potential of what this season could be then I don't know what to tell you.

36 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It's more the sum of the parts of everything that has transpired, coupled with lackluster preseason results from the players that matter.

It takes a real homer to buy into everything that's happened.  You can play spin doctor until you're dizzy to make everything sound swell but most folks that have lived through this stuff for this long have become a bit more rational in their thoughts regarding the team.  

I haven't seen anyone be so much of a "homer" that they bought into everything that happened this offseason. I also don't feel there was so much concerning change that I should not be excited for the season and that I should watch games with a low expectation that they are only gonna win 5 or 6 at most. The worst thing that happened was losing a great GM. I didn't Iike losing Garçon either,but the two 1000 yard receivers is slightly overblown. Their numbers were barely over 1000 and it was the first time they both reached 1000 together during their multi year tenures here.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You got the preseason coupled with the recent slow starts with the team coupled with the worry about all the new bodies clicking together quickly.   Personally, I think (hope) it will come together.   But I don't think the team can afford a slow start this season.

As for your 2nd point.  I don't think pessimistic expectations is what these articles are talking about.  They seem to be talking about apathy.   I think some of that at least is driven by this offseason having an a familiar vibe to it that strikes of the losing culture that has been prevalent for decades.  It can feel a little helpless when you don't trust the decision makers that has your team's fate in their hands.   If you don't feel that way, that's cool.   As for how it effects me on game day.  I don't think it effects me much.   And I don't boo the team. :)  But as for how it effects my overall vibe about the future of the franchise, it effects me a lot.  

If they start out slow that's a different story but the difference between this year and last is we had a ridiculously difficult start to the season with games against eventual division champs Pitts and Dallas. We're afforded the luxury of having two much more winnable games. 

Ill also admit I was basing my disdain off of some of the comments in the thread as I did not read the article. If there is a misunderstanding of my perspective based on the article vs comments then my mistake.

The 1982 pre-season.  We gave up 20 or more points in all the games and only posted more than 20 once (game 4) on our way to going 0-4. According to Gibbs, our defense sucked and we failed in our attempts to trade Mark Mosley (thank God).  We had an offense that on paper looked tremendous though people wondered about Joey T and there was some question about who the primary back would be. We had no first rounder and besides Art Monk and no one had yet stepped up at WR.  Remember, the Hogs were not grizzled vets and even many of our vets were not proven enough to take the pre-season off like one may argue we did later.

By the way, we played Philadelphia in game 1 that year (albeit in Philly).

13 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

If they start out slow that's a different story but the difference between this year and last is we had a ridiculously difficult start to the season with games against eventual division champs Pitts and Dallas. We're afforded the luxury of having two much more winnable games. 

That's what makes it more high stakes IMO the fact that they are two winnable games.  I predicted 10-6 so I am among the more optimistic fans. So I am not arguing your points on this front -- I'm just commenting on what the naysayers seem to be thinking. 

As for the other stuff, Scot, FO, Kirk.  I still think the debate about Scot gets way lost in the weeds.  It's not about him IMO its about who they replaced him with.  If they replaced Scot with someone like Ballard (who the Colts hired), IMO it would have been a night day different reaction from many fans.   It's not that fans know who Ballard is but many of us have seen enough misery relating to the FO and noticed how success is achieved elsewhere that we are convinced that having a top flight personnel guy is the be all and end  all -- versus some minor thing in the soup.    

And if we are supposed to believe in the current FO, the way they handled the Kirk contract thwarted that because it gave us the vibe that they are as inept as we feared they might be.  So the Kirk contract was double depressing.  1.  Unlike other teams we don't lock in our franchise QB.   2. Watching Doug handle it with the top 15 comment and Bruce with that press release -- it gave some of us the vibe they are Bad News Bears level inept with poor instincts.    

I'm not saying you or anyone else should think the same.  But I know from talking to enough fans, I know there are plenty who see it that way. 

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And if we are supposed to believe in the current FO, the way they handled the Kirk contract thwarted that because it gaves us the vibe that they are inept as we feared they might be.  I'm not saying you or anyone else should think the same.  But I know from talking to enough fans, I know there are plenty who see it that way. 

Well much of that is influenced by your perception of Kirk. If you truly believe he is an elite franchise QB then the FO looks inept. If you don't think he is or aren't sure yet then you think the FO did the right thing. Everything else, what we hear in the media and on Twitter or whatnot is just unsubstantiated filler IMO. 

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's what makes it more high stakes IMO the fact that they are two winnable games.  I predicted 10-6 so I am among the more optimistic fans. So I am not arguing your points on this front -- I'm just commenting on what the naysayers seem to be thinking. 

And I've seen many here predicting no more than 6-7 wins, which, for the life of me I can't understand. If the defense was as historically bad as many want to make them out to be, and with the additions the team made, I can't, for the life of me, figure out why they think this team is going to get significantly worse. It's as if Sean McVeigh is the greatest offensive mind in the history of the game and Chris Baker is a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer.

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Well much of that is influenced by your perception of Kirk. If you truly believe he is an elite franchise QB then the FO looks inept. If you don't think he is or aren't sure yet then you think the FO did the right thing. Everything else, what we hear in the media and on Twitter or whatnot is just unsubstantiated filler IMO. 

Personally, I think its odd to think Kirk isn't worth franchise money considering his lofty stats and its obvious he's been a big part of the success you've been lauding as to the back to back winning seasons.  But to each their own.  I don't feel like a Kirk debate. 

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

And I've seen many here predicting no more than 6-7 wins, which, for the life of me I can't understand. If the defense was as historically bad as many want to make them out to be, and with the additions the team made, I can't, for the life of me, figure out why they think this team is going to get significantly worse. It's as if Sean McVeigh is the greatest offensive mind in the history of the game and Chris Baker is a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer.

I'm with you on this point.  McVay was running Jay's offense not the other way around.  I commented on that some more on the Jay thread.  As for Baker, it looks like the criticism of letting him go versus the McClain/McGee signings might have some merit to it based on the preseason and scuttlebutt from beat reporters.  But I think Jonathan Allen and the emergence of Ionnaidis makes up for it. 

In general, as a die hard fan? Of course, there's a level of excitement. And I'm sure that will ramp up the closer we get to kickoff.

More specifically, for this season and for this particular iteration of the roster? No, not really. In fact the feeling I have more closely resembles dread.  

I just have this feeling that things are going to go very badly this year....like starting over without Gruden badly. In this worst case scenario, hopefully the silver lining would be that Allen and Doug Williams go as well, and a legit GM is hired before the next coaching staff, but I'm not that optimistic.

Why do I feel this dread? Well...nothing quite feels right. The McCloughan/Cousins/Cravens drama so far and a very poor preseason has the whole fanbase quivering with tension and expecting failure...those years where we expect failure are the years where, when its given to us, we start looking forward to a high draft pick and a new regime very early in the season. That makes its way into the media, leaks into the lockerroom and snowballs....and before you know it, its week 10 and we're hungrily talking about QB prospects and many of us are secretly or quietly (or not) hoping for competitive losses that net us a higher draft pick and a new regime. Am I advocating for this? Of course not, but it's what happens in the final year of any Redskins HC...I remember the feeling during Zorn and Shanahan's final seasons, for example. And it's creeping up on us as the team reaches this crossroads with Gruden. 

We have a bunch of impact players on 1-year deals and a lot of young players not stepping up to their pedigree or their potential as of yet, a QB under a lot of pressure who will probably never be able to live up to his paycheck, in the eyes of ignorant fans and media...a coach who doesn't instill discipline or intelligence in his roster, which leads to lots of dumb penalties at the worst times even from good players, and total choke jobs from bad players. 

Just feels like a recipe for disaster, and like I said above, the vibe going into this season reminds me a lot of the final seasons of many of our former head coaches. Gruden just got a short extension (first of the Snyder era), but if things go badly enough with Cousins and the offense and his THIRD Defensive Coordinator doesn't work out, things could get ugly early. The schedule is tough, every team in our division has improved, and this team under Gruden has never shown to be very tough. Its not going to take much for the anonymous leaks to start up again and the backstabbing to begin. 

Just feels like that kind of season. Really, really hoping I'm wrong and Cousins balls out, Pryor balls out, defense over-performs, we're competitive against good teams, and make the playoffs. Of course I'm rooting for that, as a fan. 

But that's not the feeling I'm getting. This fanbase is seriously on edge...we need to look good early or things could snowball. I'd like to finally see a Redskins team that doesn't play down to opponents and doesn't get cowed by the expectations that come with playing in the limelight. We'll see. 

11 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

But that's not the feeling I'm getting. This fanbase is seriously on edge...we need to look good early or things could snowball. I'd like to finally see a Redskins team that doesn't play down to opponents and doesn't get cowed by the expectations that come with playing in the limelight. We'll see. 

Good summary.  Yeah for me on paper and in theory I buy that it will be a good season (I like this roster).  I like the feeling of being optimistic so I'm hanging on to that vibe.  But at the same time I feel that same old familiar eerie feeling like somehow the bottom could fall out real fast and the consequence its another new start.  

41 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

In general, as a die hard fan? Of course, there's a level of excitement. And I'm sure that will ramp up the closer we get to kickoff.

Conn, this sums it up. More than any other season I remember in my lifetime, there is a very uneasy feeling of dread entering this year. Praying we're wrong, and I'd much rather be chugging Kool-aid on Monday if we come out looking competent. 

If the Redskins lose Sunday, they lose, however if they have another repeat performance of the Steelers game from last year's opener? That will be a completely different story.   Last year they had a good to very good chance to be up on the Steelers 17-0 or at least 14-0, but the offense continually couldn't get it together, whether it was bad passes, drops, miscommunications or whatever.  Granted, Rothelisburger also looked rusty for a couple drives, but he was able to settle down and get in gear relatively quick, while the 'Skins looked pretty lose and out of sorts until the game was pretty much out of their hands. 

I don't want to deal with THAT scenario again.  I know people say wins are wins and losses are losses, but they aren't all the same, and you don't take the same things away from each of them.  

I'm not really excited at all. The NFL in general has just worn on me. I mean I'll watch the game and I'm sure I'll be into it in the heat of the moment and all that, but right now?

The Skins are just so far behind the other three teams in town that its really embarassing.

I was as optimistic going into last year as PP is now. If not more so. 

Then the entire year sucked.

Our offseason was mostly crap, except actually addressing the defense in the draft. FA was meh AS. 

After the next hurricane passes and if we're off curfew and have power, I'll go to the closest bar with the game, eat hot fried food and drink cold cold rum and just feel good. I really hope we win. I could use it.

5 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Probably not a popular sentiment and may come off as pretentious, but if you're not excited about the Redskins days before the first game of the season then you're really not much of a fan.

WOOHOO, 6-10 SEASON HERE WE COME! GOOOOOOO TEAM

That's about all I can muster. Last season was a letdown, and little has been done to change that outlook. I'll get excited when the team gives me something to get excited about.

Not excited, tank is pretty empty. 

I'm just here for the laughs. 

Allen's $7 million+ new home in California is something that I get a chuckle out of every so often. Ironically 7 million was likely the difference in guaranteed monies between Cousins on a long term contract (60) versus another 1 year world tour (53). 

I just smile when Allen gives the big middle finger. I'm hoping for another Tony Wyllie masterpiece at some point too.

4 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Well much of that is influenced by your perception of Kirk. If you truly believe he is an elite franchise QB then the FO looks inept. If you don't think he is or aren't sure yet then you think the FO did the right thing.

That's actually nonsense. If you don't think Cousins is the QB of the future here, then any sense of logic says you try to cash in his considerable trade value. That's the kind of thing actual GMs do- making decisions on players. You don't just punt on making a call. If you think he's your QB you sign him, if not, you listen to offers. But not the incompetent mess we are now saddled with.

At this point, best case scenario is Kirk is signed in a year for a good deal more than he could have been signed for before this. I guess you could say another "good" outcome is he plays poorly and signs more cheaply than he would've this year, but at that point it probably means he should have been dealt. It also means there's a good chance he bolts. And that, along with him being signed, or tagged, for a higher price, is the likely scenario- Cousins leaves for nothing. A starting QB/major trade asset turned into nothing. Or maybe a huge extra chunk of cap space pissed away. All because Allen decided not to make a decision. That's what you're describing as being "the right thing".

If there is a valid defense of the ridiculous way the team mismanaged the Cousins situation, I haven't heard it yet. Just suggesting Cousins isn't that good certainly isn't one.

Nobody is excited for the season, many fans now expect the Skins to lose, there's a "meh" vibe traveling through the fan base...

...right up until kickoff lol.

Then every single fan will be pissed when/if the Redskins lose. Throw "expect them to lose" right out the window.

Every fan will be glued to the TV or in the stands when the game starts, hanging onto every play. Flush "not very excited about the season" right down the toilet.

If the Skins win--and better, if they look good doing so--every fan will be all smiles and analyzing the upcoming game. Fuhgeddabout caring whether or not Scot is sitting on his couch now.

But right now? Yeah, sure, whatever...

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

After the next hurricane passes and if we're off curfew and have power, I'll go to the closest bar with the game, eat hot fried food and drink cold cold rum and just feel good. I really hope we win. I could use it.

I'll feel the pain soon myself.  :(  Hurricane coming my way Saturday night, I think 1% shot at best I'll have electric power to watch the game.   

Archived