Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Phil Savage was on Chad dukes a bit ago and I could be wrong but I THINK he said Payne is the best Bama DL to come out in recent memory outside of Marcel Dareus. 

Upside is massive ... Suh 

Has he been in a coma for the past 5 years?

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Plus, if Minkah is the pick, he'd be able to play a Nickel role for us if Montae stays healthy, replacing Fuller's production.

So, what is the outlook on Moreau and Holsey ?

I keep reading about our (desperate) search for a replacement for Fuller in the slot, so have we completely wiped out hope that either one of those guys can be the one ?

Just now, bh32 said:

That's great if you don't mind loosing a bunch of games and having a new coaching staff,because that is exactly what would happen..

Oh I'll mind but most think that is going to happen anyway. Just saying I wouldn't mind having multiple 1sts in future drafts at the expense of this relatively weak draft class.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The problem is that our defense looked completely different last year without Nicholson in the line-up.  Having the luxury of not being forced to rely on Deshazor Everett to fill a safety spot is a huge advantage if Montae gets injured again.  Plus, if Minkah is the pick, he'd be able to play a Nickel role for us if Montae stays healthy, replacing Fuller's production.

Yet still not be able to stop the run..Fuller graded out as the best nickle DB last year yet it didn't stop teams from averaging 4.5 yards a carry while in nickle..

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Vea stinks of Haynesworth to me personally. 

I'll take a Suh that's not dirty and studies the game with humility. 

Agree with the first part. As to the second, I'd love that too, but there isn't one in this draft. Payne is so far from what Suh was that it's ludicrous to even begin to compare them. Suh was an absolutely unstoppable force of nature at Nebraska. I don't see any comparison with their games other than being interior DLs with cool sounding names.

I think the biggest issue we have in this draft is we need to address the DL, secondary, and running game and yet have only 2 picks in the first 3 rounds.  We HAVE to take a guard at some point, because right now we have no LG.  Ideally we would trade back a few slots and maybe pick up a 3rd, then draft someone like Payne, and then grab a LG and DB in the 2nd and 3rd, and a RB in the 4th.  Thats my ideal scenario, but unlikely.

Just now, bh32 said:

Yet still not be able to stop the run..Fuller graded out as the best nickle DB last year yet it didn't stop teams from averaging 4.5 yards a carry while in nickle..

It's not like we wouldn't be able to draft a NT in rounds 2, 3 (if we trade back), or 4.  And we can still sign Hankins after the draft.  It's not like all hope is lost if we don't draft a NT round 1.

19 minutes ago, bh32 said:

It has to be Vea or Payne..They need a impact player this year..Not a single one of the DB's would see the field much this year

WWWWWHHHHHHHYYYYYYY???????

You don't draft players for a one year freaking contract. You get these guys for four and a fifth year option, get the best damn player, I don't care what position (other than LT, and RG), we can use help everywhere. Don't force the gd DT pick. I don't understand that argument AT ALL

Do you think this team is super bowl bound or something? Why does 2018 matter more than getting the best player long term?

1 minute ago, Peregrine said:

We HAVE to take a guard at some point, because right now we have no LG.  Ideally we would trade back a few slots and maybe pick up a 3rd, then draft someone like Payne, and then grab a LG and DB in the 2nd and 3rd, and a RB in the 4th. 

I mentioned this earlier - Will Hernandez in the 2nd round, if he's still there.

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So, what is the outlook on Moreau and Holsey ?

I keep reading about our (desperate) search for a replacement for Fuller in the slot, so have we completely wiped out hope that either one of those guys can be the one ?

Relying on a 7th round pick to replace one of the best slot CBs in the league last year is not smart.  And Moreau will hopefully be manning our other outside CB spot sooner rather than later.  I have little to no faith in Dunbar.

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

It's not like we wouldn't be able to draft a NT in rounds 2, 3 (if we trade back), or 4.  And we can still sign Hankins after the draft.  It's not like all hope is lost if we don't draft a NT round 1.

theres no guarantee that NT will be there in the second that could even make a impact

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Bingo! A run stuffing DL can be found with cuts coming later. You dont need to waste the the the 13th pick in the draft on one.

Just now, bh32 said:

theres no guarantee that NT will be there in the second that could even make a impact

There's no guarantee Payne or Vea would make an impact either.  I actually have more faith some of the other NTs like Phillips will make a bigger impact than Payne... at least during year 1.

1 minute ago, The Consigliere said:

WWWWWHHHHHHHYYYYYYY???????

You don't draft players for a one year freaking contract. You get these guys for four and a fifth year option, get the best damn player, I don't care what position (other than LT, and RG), we can use help everywhere. Don't force the gd DT pick. I don't understand that argument AT ALL

Do you think this team is super bowl bound or something? Why does 2018 matter more than getting the best player long term?

You have a 34 year old Qb first of all, second coaching staff will be fired if they probably don't make playoffs..Db will not fix the stopping the run problem..

3 minutes ago, bh32 said:

You have a 34 year old Qb first of all, second coaching staff will be fired if they probably don't make playoffs..Db will not fix the stopping the run problem..

In fairness, a head coach should be leading his team to the playoffs after five years on the job. There's something wrong if he's not.

Now, it may not be fair to pin the blame on Gruden (except to the extent that his Special Teams and Defensive Coordinators have consistently underperformed), but if after 5 years the team is not successful heads should roll. Front office heads. Coaching heads. A whole lot of heads.

I'm talking an Alice in Wonderland Queen of Hearts level rampage of lost heads. 

17 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Has he been in a coma for the past 5 years?

I was listening to that same interview, I guess I missed the part somehow about him being the best D lineman -- I heard the Dareus comparison but with him saying Payne isn't as good.  Savage tends to pump up his Alabama guys (he covers them in broadcasts)

6 minutes ago, bh32 said:

None of these things changes the fact that this team won't be contending for squat next year. They may think they are, they aren't. I want decisions made that benefit the next F.O. that replaces them, I don't want decisions that are tossed into the dust bin the second a new administration arrives. I don't have a problem with Vea or Payne in a trade down, or at slot if we can't move down (though I NEVER buy that argument), but I sure as hell don't want the pick forced over the long term good of the franchise. We're fans generally for life (although they've just about committed homicide on my fandom), 1 year only matters to the guys that are there for a paycheck, not to the fans. We pay the price for short term thinking, they just go back on the NFL retread hiring industrial complex moving rack, airport style, to be hired again by some new useful idiot owner (Tampa Bay, Oakland, Washington, whose next? etc). 

The Houston Chronicle reports the Ravens will "focus" on UCLA OT Kolton Miller if Notre Dame OT Mike McGlinchey is off the board.

The report comes via current Texans but longtime Ravens beat writer Aaron Wilson. The Ravens have been popularly mocked Louisville QB Lamar Jackson but indeed need help at tackle. They are currently without a right tackle after Austin Howard was allowed to walk in free agency. 2016 first-rounder Ronnie Stanley has yet to take off at left tackle.

This is why I would love a trade back to the late teens if possible.  Packers will probably reach for Josh Jackson if Ward is gone.  They need a CB bad.  Cardinals will probably draft Lamar Jackson.  Ravens will reach for an OT according to this report.  There are just so many really good players that can fall to us if we're patient, and we can start racking up more picks in the process.
4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was listening to that same interview, I guess I missed the part somehow about him being the best D lineman -- I heard the Dareus comparison but with him saying Payne isn't as good.  Savage tends to pump up his Alabama guys (he covers them in broadcasts)

Yeah, that quote didn't make any sense.  I don't think anyone in their right mind believes Payne has ever been better than Allen.

Archived