Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

So um, apparently Guice made up all that **** about NFL teams asking him if he was gay and if his mom was a prostitute.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23317926/nfl-investigation-says-no-evidence-lsu-tigers-rb-derrius-guice-was-asked-invasive-questions-combine

Anyone want to walk back their assertions that Guice having maturity issues is total BS?

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

So um, apparently Guice made up all that **** about NFL teams asking him if he was gay and if his mom was a prostitute.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23317926/nfl-investigation-says-no-evidence-lsu-tigers-rb-derrius-guice-was-asked-invasive-questions-combine

Anyone want to walk back their assertions that Guice having maturity issues is total BS?

If he did indeed make it all up than i would remove him from my draft board..what an idiot if true..

4 minutes ago, bh32 said:

The one thing i notice about Payne after watching some cut ups is that when he wants to penetrate into the backfield he usually does..Granted he doesn't always make the tackle,but he does disrupt the play alot of times..

He can get pressure when he gets single-blocked more often than he gets credit for.  He can win with initial quickness and heavy hands against a lone guard or center but he is not a dominant rusher with a toolbox full of counters who can win after the initial move gets stymied or the double cuts him off.

There aren't many rushers like that coming from the 1 technique period.

But I do think there is some untapped potential as a stunter.  That wasn't much of a part of Bama's scheme, they were much more about that linebacker and safety blitz.  Made sense given their roster make up this year.  Raekwon Davis is a traditional beast of a pass rushing DL, but he was the only one really.  Anfernee Jennings battled injuries and wasn't that productive.  However, the closing speed on their interior second level defenders (Evans, Harrison, Fitzpatrick) was so damn good they were able to make up for the lack of consistent edge pressure with blitzing.

I wonder if that Alabama defense wasn't a roadmap for how to play dominant pass defense without a dominant edge rush?  They had non-traditional but highly effective players at DT, ILB, and S---spots that aren't usually focal points in the pass rush.

Does the NFL undervalue/under-utilize blitzing ability at the safety and ILB spot?  If so, will Rashaan Evans and Minkah Fitzpatrick be able to use this special part of their game at the next level?

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

What on earth would make him want to do something like that? To me, that goes much deeper than idiot, potentially, like he may need psychiatric help down the road.

I hope it's not true actually, because it's really uncomfortable if it is.  Like a mild cry for help.

My take on Guice is that he was developmentally stunted by the environment and nature of his upbringing.  I suspect that he has the emotional maturity level of a younger person.  In normal circumstances, that would be fine.  But the NFL is hard on everyone, and I don't think a kid will handle the transition well.

The NFL waits on nobody.  It grinds up everyone, especially the people who aren't ready for it.

1 hour ago, pcbothwel said:

I know, just like in 2014 when we had no 1st and ended up with Murphy, Moses, Long, Breeland, and Grant    :rolleyes:

I know, just like in 2014 where we were employing Scotty Mac to tell us which picks to take, just like this yea.......oh right.

1 hour ago, pcbothwel said:

I know, just like in 2014 when we had no 1st and ended up with Murphy, Moses, Long, Breeland, and Grant    :rolleyes:

Man, we need some serious infusoon of elite talent. No wonder we stay medium/mediocre drafting decent but not elite talent.

According to The Ringer's Mike Lombardi, NFL teams have concerns Georgia RB Sony Michel has a bone-on-bone condition in his knee.

It can be a career-shortening condition, and contributed to Jay Ajayi's fall in the 2015 draft. NFL Network's Mike Mayock has also alluded to medical concerns surrounding Michel, but still sent Michel to the Steelers in the first round in his mock draft on Thursday night. Lombardi said teams have concerns Michel won't last long enough to play out a second contract.

Whoops...

Offensive tweets from Josh Allen surface hours before NFL draft

https://sports.yahoo.com/offensive-tweets-josh-allen-surface-hours-nfl-draft-024847843.html

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

According to The Ringer's Mike Lombardi, NFL teams have concerns Georgia RB Sony Michel has a bone-on-bone condition in his knee.

It can be a career-shortening condition, and contributed to Jay Ajayi's fall in the 2015 draft. NFL Network's Mike Mayock has also alluded to medical concerns surrounding Michel, but still sent Michel to the Steelers in the first round in his mock draft on Thursday night. Lombardi said teams have concerns Michel won't last long enough to play out a second contract.

Anyone willing to donate some cartilage to Sony if we draft him?

52 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Is there any context to what Guice originally said? Any way he was maybe making a joke about how thorough the interviews were?

Sounds like he may have made up a 'topper' or 'me-tooism' story.  Young people are especially susceptible although even adults seem to have a bit of a problem with being a topper or telling a me-too story.  Further, think about how the story itself feeds into the modern narratives and relates to a lot of current events. Combine this with social media and his (near) celebrity status.

10 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

How many rushing yards were junk time yards? Yards gained on drives that failed? How bad is it to give up 9 yards when 10 were needed?

NE is an interesting case as they started the season looking at what might be an historically bad defense (that is two years in a row for them).

BOB McGINN’S MOCK DRAFT

A prediction of how the first round of the NFL draft might go Thursday.

1. CLEVELAND BROWNS: Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

New GM John Dorsey selects Mayfield over three taller quarterbacks. His consultant/right-hand man, Scot McCloughan, has gone all in for Mayfield.  The offense can remain the same with Tyrod Taylor and Mayfield. Mayfield is a strong-armed Big 12 player just as Patrick Mahomes was a year ago when Dorsey, then with the Chiefs, traded up to take him. Offensive coordinator Todd Haley prefers mobile QBs.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You would hope the meetings we've had would give a clearer indication of his character and maturity. That doesn't look great though, at all....

if we think he's a cross between Cravens and Portis, well that makes for an interesting selection dilemma.

NFL Draft Notes - April 25, Part II

"The latest buzz on the day before the draft with the most recent news and chatter we are hearing.

* Several people I’ve spoken with tell me defensive tackle Vita Vea is making a rise up draft boards and could end up in the top 10 on Thursday night. The Tampa Bay Bucs were very hot on Vea early in the process, and the Oakland Raiders have have been poking around recently and showing late interest in the defensive tackle. To make sure proper credit is given, I did catch a glimpse of ESPN's mock draft last night, and their Raiders beat reporter had the team taking Vea."

No Payne no gain, I guess.

Archived