Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

53 minutes ago, tshile said:

i keep having this discussion with my liberal friends and they all say this.

but here's the thing - having support from the black community isn't enough. you also have to get them to show up on election day. i don't care what the polls say, you cannot run the risk of the black vote not showing up because when they look at the Dem ticket it's an old white guy who's got baggage with the black community and who's only real claim to fame seems to be "I was Obama's VP", and someone else that doesn't appeal to them (like Pete)

i don't think the dems can afford to take that demographic 'for granted', or at least cannot afford to create that perception. "Hey guys thanks for helping me in the primary, moving on here's my new VP Pete, another white guy and one that specifically has none of your support"

Biden appeals to noone.  He owes the black electorate, because they saved his candidacy.  Also, getting the black voters excited is crucial this time.  If the black vote come out in greater numbers in 2016, Hillary would've won.  That's why I think it's a must his veep has to be a black candidate.  I explained why in an earlier post.  A black veep will get the black vote excited, especially since that person will be front runner for 2024. Also, given Biden's mental decline; the veep could take over sooner. 

23 minutes ago, bearrock said:

The first highlighted part can be interpreted to address a woman's fitness to be POTUS if just that phrase is taken out of context.  But even in a vacuum, it can also refer to whether a woman can actually become a POTUS.  

But the remaining part of her answer clearly illustrates what she's talking about.  The next two highlights clearly shows that she's talking about electability, not fitness

like I said, it was cleverly and intentionally worded to be accurate but presented differently 

Interesting, though Kansas itself isn't holding their election for a couple of months.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article240861941.html

Former Vice President Joe Biden will campaign in Kansas City and St. Louis Saturday as he hopes to secure a win in Missouri next week.

Biden’s Saturday evening appearance in Kansas City will be at the National World War I Museum and Memorial. The former vice president will be joined by Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, one of Biden’s most outspoken supporters in the state.

Biden’s once struggling campaign was given new life after a commanding win in South Carolina, driven by African American voters.

With large African American communities in St. Louis and Kansas City, Missouri could also be key as Biden battles for the nomination when Missouri Democrats hold their March 10 primary.

1 hour ago, tshile said:

My gut reaction to your post:

Yeah, that sort of nuance will never be recognized by the general public

Maybe i'm wrong.

I'd generally agree, but I'm not sure the primary voters, especially in the early primary states, are the same as the general public.

In a general election, if your the 3rd candidate trying to make that run, I think you'd be in trouble.

I'll be another one that will add on.  If I'm Biden, the VP has to be black, and it certainly can't be somebody like Pete that is poorly and has poorly connected to the black community.

I know it is tempting to try and name somebody that might make states like OH and MI more in play, but that would be a mistake.  

I'm not sure who is out there, but IMO, ideally, he'd nominate an African American with a solid foundation among progressives.

1 hour ago, tshile said:

i keep having this discussion with my liberal friends and they all say this.

but here's the thing - having support from the black community isn't enough. you also have to get them to show up on election day. i don't care what the polls say, you cannot run the risk of the black vote not showing up because when they look at the Dem ticket it's an old white guy who's got baggage with the black community and who's only real claim to fame seems to be "I was Obama's VP", and someone else that doesn't appeal to them (like Pete)

i don't think the dems can afford to take that demographic 'for granted', or at least cannot afford to create that perception. "Hey guys thanks for helping me in the primary, moving on here's my new VP Pete, another white guy and one that specifically has none of your support"

fair enough... but isn't that also true with the "progressive wing"?  ...particularly the 18-25 progressives?      and, even MORE SO for that group?

the "get out the black vote" apparatus is well established, and in place, and it is under the direction of people that can be counted on in the general election  (this will be true whether the nominee is Biden OR Sanders)      Dems also need Obama to step up hard for either candidate once this moves into the general election....

....but the "get out the progressive voters" apparatus?   that is much more dispersed, and at least partially in the control of bernie and his allies.  If biden is the nominee, he will NEED this apparatus to work for him (not guaranteed at this point) and beyond that, to actually be engaged and enthusiastic for Biden (far from guaranteed) .

it boils down to :

1) how important is each group to a winning strategy overall? - PLUS

2) how much can the turnout/enthusiasm of that group be energized by an appropriate pick?  (or stated in negative... how much of this group is vulnerable to be lost on election day?)  - PLUS

3) what other tools (other than the VP choice) are available to accomplish 2? 

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm not sure why Elizabeth Warren is constantly propped up as someone who can win...she doesn't win primaries.  And yet, she's a media darling, for some reason...if you paid attention to just the media and not the results of the primaries, you'd think she was a frontrunner.  She was on a Rolling Stone cover a few months back.  I really don't get it.

she was #1 in the polls a few months ago 

Now that Biden is likely going to get the nomination, I want to start hearing about his actual plans for once he is President.  What does he want to do with healthcare specifically when it comes to "fixing and making Obamacare better"  What are his plans on taxes, the tax code, loopholes, etc etc......what does he want to do with the government institutions that have been ravaged by the current administration.  

We all agree Trump is horrible, but Biden still needs to sell folks beyond "Trump is bad"

Here's what happens to the 2020 dropouts' delegates

>>>

Mike Bloomberg had a disastrous Super Tuesday that ultimately spelled the end of his campaign. But he didn’t come away entirely empty-handed.

The former New York City mayor won 53 delegates and counting, according to the most recent tally. Combined with the delegates won by Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobuchar, over 85 pledged delegates were awarded to a candidate no longer in the race. And now, with the remaining candidates racing to hit the magic number of 1,991 pledged delegates to win the nomination, questions abound about what happens to the delegates of the candidates who have stepped aside...............<<<<

People were asking about this, now you have your answer. 

I get so mad that when I see Bernie listed on a vote or something (like the just passed Cornova bill), that he is listed as a independent.  Like how ****ing stupid are the Dems to allow someone to run for their nomination who isn't even a part of their party?!?

2 hours ago, tshile said:

I'm #2.

if you say so.... 

See the source image

. I'm not upscale burbs, but I'm just oustide what most NOVA people consider NOVA (btw **** you for not including us, we're nova too you jerks)

((not directed at anyone specifically except for NOVA people, cause you know who you are))

this is true of EVERYBODY in a metropolitan bullseye pattern... no matter where they live......  

you look IN for a point of reference.  but never out.  NEVAH, DAHLING.... nevvvvvvrrrrrrrrrrrr

if you live in Penn Quarter or Capitol Hill .. you look at people WAY OUT in dupont circle or Adams Morgan as "basically living in the burbs"

if you live in DC , but not quite downtown, you just look down your nose at anybody outside the city limits (until you have kids starting school... )

if you live in Arlington or Bethesda, you answer the above with:   Arlington/Bethesda is basically DC, but with better services... but THOSE guys !!? (yeah, i'm glaring at YOU, person that has the poor taste to not be able to afford to live in Bethesda/Arlington, but have the gall to sometimes want to get THROUGH our kingdom on the way to downtown

If you live inside the beltway... why would you ever even LOOK outside the beltway, unless you are on the way to the beach or the mountains or something?   <<<<this is me<<<<

if you live in the rest of Fairfax/Mongomery/PG County ....   <<<same as above, but with a little less enthusiasm>>  

if you live in Loudon  or the rural parts of Montgomery or Anne Arundal.... (etc...)   you like to pretend that you are above all the fray, and really hate that rat race closer in.... but .... nobody believes you. 

if you live in Faquir/PrinceWilliam/Frederick counties.... then... well... **** you, West Virginia and Pennsylvania... ya big bag of losers! 

Why Do Such Elderly People Run America? 

>>>

When Joe Biden climbed to the stage in California to celebrate his Super Tuesday comeback in the Democratic primary, three things happened in a matter of minutes. He basked in the thunderous applause from the crowd. He mistook his wife for his sister. And he delivered the sort of confusing, intermittently slurry, and occasionally indecipherable oration that has defined so many of his recent public appearances.

One might expect a typical opponent to seize on these verbal slips by questioning whether Biden, who is 77, is too old to hack it. But his rival Bernie Sanders, who has already suffered a heart attack during this campaign, is a year older. In January 2021, the three people most likely to be the next president—Biden, Sanders, and the incumbent, Donald Trump—would each be the oldest president to ever give an inaugural address in American history......<<<<

23 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

And yet when votes were counted she could not even win her own state. In fact she came in 3rd. 

yup.. things move very fluidly, and quickly, once the primaries actually begin... but you asked WHY so much attention her (to the point of her actually being on the cover of rolling stone a couple months ago)?  

and the answer is:   she was #1 in the polls a few months ago 

the press also gave Jeb Bush a lot of attention 4 years ago....  it happens.   they don't know where the fickle voter will end up... the fickle Super Tuesday voters didn't know where they would end up, the day before Super Tuesday.   

7 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

yup.. things move very fluidly, and quickly, once the primaries actually begin... but you asked WHY so much attention her (to the point of her actually being on the cover of rolling stone a couple months ago)?  

and the answer is:   she was #1 in the polls a few months ago 

the press also gave Jeb Bush a lot of attention 4 years ago....  it happens.   they don't know where the fickle voter will end up... the fickle Super Tuesday voters didn't know where they would end up, the day before Super Tuesday.   

You are answering the wrong person. I did not ask this question. I was making the point that despite the media love prior to the actual voting, when the votes were counted she could not even win her own state. She would be a great asset to anyone's administration. But she is not electable as president.

I am 50/50 on her value as VP in terms of the ticket. I think it would be a waste of her talent to put her in that role and not sure she helps the ticket enough to be worth it. There is too much politicizing for a VP - more like show and tell to be ready in case something happens to the president. They spend a lot of time standing in for the president for lessor meetings. 

I think as a cabinet member or special adviser she could be of more value. 

2 hours ago, tshile said:

And now I've just voted for Biden in the dem primary, and will vote for him in November. I'm not upscale burbs, but I'm just oustide what most NOVA people consider NOVA (btw **** you for not including us, we're nova too you jerks)

((not directed at anyone specifically except for NOVA people, cause you know who you are))

NOVA...used to be a nice place to be.  I live outside of it now and don't miss the yuppies, soccer moms, etc.  

24 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Because more voters over 45 vote than those younger. And they trust people their age more than people younger. Here are the numbers for the last 3 election cycles (only one presidential election).

% of votes over 45 y/o: 

2014 - 70%

2016 - 62%

2018 - 65%

Traditionally, the % of eligible voters that vote from those age groups are:

<45 approximately 40%, with under 25 being around 20%.

45 and older - approximately 68%

Older people voting with lead to older people being elected. It would be easy to blame the older people for being closed minded, respondent to fear and smears of younger candidates with different ideas, accepting of the status quo despite saying otherwise. But the facts are that while some of that is valid, it's mostly younger people not voting. 

It does not mean all younger votes are going to younger candidates. But it is reasonable to expect the majority would on most occasions. 

49 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Now that Biden is likely going to get the nomination, I want to start hearing about his actual plans for once he is President.  What does he want to do with healthcare specifically when it comes to "fixing and making Obamacare better"  What are his plans on taxes, the tax code, loopholes, etc etc......what does he want to do with the government institutions that have been ravaged by the current administration.  

We all agree Trump is horrible, but Biden still needs to sell folks beyond "Trump is bad"

I mean, his plans are on his website and are pretty extensive. Not Hilary Clinton extensive, but more than acceptable. 

Here is healthcare. 

https://joebiden.com/healthcare/

I really like that he’s broken everything down in 3 broad visions. Rebuild the middle class (ie, economic policies including healthcare, minimum wage, workers rights, etc), international leadership (recommiting to the bedrock American values abandoned under Trump and reengaing with our traditional allies) and voter rights (access to voting and getting rid of big money (i wish he’d add election security but its still early)). He just need to weave those into a coherent narrative, which should not be that hard. 

58 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I get so mad that when I see Bernie listed on a vote or something (like the just passed Cornova bill), that he is listed as a independent.  Like how ****ing stupid are the Dems to allow someone to run for their nomination who isn't even a part of their party?!?

Well at least the Dems are smart enough to close ranks around an actual party member in time for it to matter, unlike the Rupublicans 4 years ago that let a non-Republican actually hijack the entire party. 

Archived