Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bill Callahan and the Offensive Line

joeken24

5 hours ago, Gallen5862 said:

Greg Robinson the OT who was the second overall pick in the 2014 was cut by the Lions. Should the Redskins sign him? That would be getting back the player who the Rams drafted with the Redskins pick from the RGIII trade? He could possibly help us now and in 2018!

worth a look but he was released with injury designation because he's missed the last 2 games with an ankle injury... i guess it depends where he's at in the process, but if they released him, i'd imagine he's not going to be back very quickly. 

6 hours ago, Gallen5862 said:

Greg Robinson the OT who was the second overall pick in the 2014 was cut by the Lions. Should the Redskins sign him? That would be getting back the player who the Rams drafted with the Redskins pick from the RGIII trade? He could possibly help us now and in 2018!

Not sure that signing another injured OL would be the smartest move right now. Maybe worth a look to assess him, but PFF had him rated 71 of 78 Offensive Tackles.

7 hours ago, Gallen5862 said:

Not sure he'd be able to help this year with his injuries, but if we can sign him cheap and stash him on IR, I'd do it.  Let Callahan have a crack at him in the off season and see if he's worth bringing to OTAs and camp..

With Catalina cut, does that mean Nsheke is good to go?  I could see them starting Clemmings with Nsheke as both a backup and a replacement if Clemming struggles (which would also limit Nsheke's snaps and let him ease in a bit).  

Ideally (of course), Trent is ready to start and Nsheke can sub if needed.  Would also be really nice if we could afford to start a Nsheke couple of games at RT to let Moses heal up a bit (but still dress Moses as a backup?).  

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot ever recall a more patchwork Skins OL in my illustrious spectating career. 

Thing is, they seem to be doing fine. A few rare 100 yd games on top of meeting/beating reasonable expectations in pass pro.  It's not like we have been playing the patsies of the league.

Meanwhile, many coaches seem afraid to even try a backup when a starter consistently struggles. The drop off in talent, too big to even consider.  Everyone remembers Rib taking over and I am not sure we lost with him at center for ~6 or more games. We sat him for the playoffs and we got destroyed up front. Callahan has been certainly earning his paycheck recently. 

I thought Trent didn't practice today? 

I thought Arie did okay last week, but I guess maybe they think Dallas' line is better.

Still it seems strange to me with all the OTs hurting that they'd be playing one of them out of position.  It seems to be begging for a massive shift if anything happens.

I remember Arie gave the officials help with a few possession calls, otherwise seemed to have a quiet (read: good) game. Perine got his 100 so I am sure he had a hand in that, and didn't get embarrassed.

Meanwhile.... It melts my heart.... to see an OL playing to the whistle whistle and trying to pick off DBs watching the tackle. I seem to remember Arie trying to do that. 

So we are going to be rolling with a tall interior this week. I guess it's safe to say we are losing a bit of leverage, but increasing the open field pancakability © on some pulls.  I want to see Ty and Trent run the counter trey, but it seems like we always run it left.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

I remember Arie gave the officials help with a few possession calls, otherwise seemed to have a quiet (read: good) game. Perine got his 100 so I am sure he had a hand in that, and didn't get embarrassed.

Meanwhile.... It melts my heart.... to see an OL playing to whistle and trying to pick off DBs watching the tackle. I seem to remember Arie trying to do that. 

So we are going to be rolling with a tall interior this week. I guess it's safe to say we are losing a bit of leverage, but increasing the open field pancakability © on some pulls.  I want to see Ty and Trent run the counter trey, but it seems like we always run it left.

I think the lack of pull with Trent is the issues he's got going with his knees, I'd imagine its hard for him to get up and going around ahead of a back running at full speed with what he's got going on.  

I think its been no news is good news on Chase, such is life as an OL.

Conversely, there has been a lot of good performances from most all the backups in what seems to be an almost unprecedented run on OL injuries.  Bergy, 'Pontiac" Catalina, Arie.

Ty had a rough week but suspect he came back sooner than he would have normally. Jay did leave him on an island vs a tough opponent, and he is better at left.

Saw the Colts cut Kyle Kalis (though as waived/injured), so not sure he's healthy to do anything at this point. But does give the team an opportuity to get him back if they want. The Colts also cut  in Matt Jones and signed Anthony Fabiano. So it was really an all ex-Redskins transaction log for them 

Archived