Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bill Callahan and the Offensive Line

joeken24

I think Jay just switched many runs to power/gap, which I think suits Brandon's game best.  Maybe he got healthy. Maybe he was taking off games in preseason, saving it up for when the games count. 

Knock on wood the pass pro seemed much better the past 2 games, but think Jay did reel in some of the longer slower developing plays.

Here's a link to what I'm assuming is a weekly feature from Geoff Schwartz:

New Disrespectful Blocks of the Week

Great stuff. In the interests of helping people better understand OL play, I'll post these here in the future. There are a couple of great Skins features here. :headbang:

So far, the Skins are in 3 of the 4 weekly features. No surprise - it's either TW or Scherff (or both).

Other Links:

Week 3

Week 2

Week 1

On 10/5/2017 at 10:45 AM, Warhead36 said:

The Eagles front is loaded, probably the best in football. Could very well be that we just lost to a superior opponent that day.

Personally, I'm pretty confident we beat them the second go around.  I think Cousins just started

slow week 1.  They did get some good pressure on him, but if he throws like he has since, I think we'd have won that one and it may not have been close.  Think the defense has improved since then as well.  Of course, the one (semi consistent) issue we've seen with this D is with mobile qbs.  

I could easily be wrong though.  

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Personally, I'm pretty confident we beat them the second go around.  I think Cousins just started

slow week 1.  They did get some good pressure on him, but if he throws like he has since, I think we'd have won that one and it may not have been close.  Think the defense has improved since then as well.  Of course, the one (semi consistent) issue we've seen with this D is with mobile qbs.  

I could easily be wrong though.  

I agree. I think Week 1 was a little bit fluky. The TD to Algahalor was a series of unfortunate events. The normally sure handed Crowder fumbles a punt. Cousins throws a pick in the end zone. The Eagles are a good team, but we kinda gave that one away. And historically Cousins has owned the Eagles particularly in Philadelphia.

Our pass pro largely failed against Philly. They are stout.  I expect more of the same next time around, only that this time Jay won't push his luck and dial back some of the slower developing plays. We also didn't run power/gap on them. I want to see them get c'trey'd. 

Where was been the Kirk roll right, with 3 layers of guy open right in front of him. I used to think that was the staple play of our offense. The slant schmant that is the traditional WC staple. It's certainly not our go to play thus far this year.

Was Moses at left in college?

I wonder if 2 changes are better than one....  my gut feeling is stick with Trent's back up at LT, and just give him help. Continuity.

Depth chart suggests TJ Clemmings.  Lots of Paul lined up next to him. Thompson can chip on his way out.... and call one of Kirk's old favorite plays, the boot right triple layer option early and often. Add in a few screens, and slowly test how he holds up in the 3 5 and eventually 7 drops.

Which means, a heavy dose of short passes to Crowder.

I think it will be Clemmings at LT and leave Moses at RT, assuming Clemmings has looked at least serviceable there in practice. Make as little change as possible to the line up, and change the play calls instead (hopefully Crowder and Reed are better this week and Perrine doesn't fumble).

On 10/6/2017 at 4:06 PM, MassSkinsFan said:

Here's a link to what I'm assuming is a weekly feature from Geoff Schwartz:

New Disrespectful Blocks of the Week

Great stuff. In the interests of helping people better understand OL play, I'll post these here in the future. There are a couple of great Skins features here. :headbang:

So far, the Skins are in 3 of the 4 weekly features. No surprise - it's either TW or Scherff (or both).

Other Links:

Week 3

Week 2

Week 1

GOLD... FREAKING GOLD.

Trent is set to be a game time decision. I feel like even if he is in there, Jay may want to minimize his workload. 

Or, there is some more gamesmanship and Jay already knows he is out. He hasn't practiced at all this week, that is 2 weeks off.  It should surprise no one if he doesn't play, 49ers included

If Trent is out the ridonk -11 number should drop some. TJ is set to start if he can't go.

This is a bit dated, but here is more OL footage, this time from Brandon Thorn on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/i/moments/869369197922353153

For anyone not familiar with OL skills and challenges, this is a great primer. You can see how complicated it is for these guys to not only execute their assigned blocks, but also to adjust on the fly, and to sometimes take advantage of positioning to take out extra players not part of their original assignment. TW and Scherff are particularly good at that: 

After watching this, I am more convinced than ever that every NFL broadcast booth should include someone who can analyze line play, and that they should spend time going over it. When approximately half the players on O are OL, it only makes sense to help fans understand what they do. 

If you're not familiar with OL play and want to learn, go back to this post to get a quick primer on blocking technique, then watch the clips and try to ID what types of blocks are being thrown. That'll bring you up to speed pretty quickly.

One thing's for sure: with Silverback and The Scherff we have two outstanding OL who make their OL colleagues better. They might earn Hogs 2.0 status if they keep this up.

HTTR

Good stuff @MassSkinsFan

Scherff had a rough preseason / early start but suddenly his play looks night and day. IMO either he was injured, or Jay is calling plays to his strengths more. I think there was a penalty on him last game that was total crap, finishing his block as the tackle happened behind him.

When I say finishing his block, he rudely put a niner flat on his back.

I cannot recall an OL of ours, with so many injuries in one game. Chase seemed to do well, as did Clemmings....

It may be time to fire up the Pontiac Catalina. We need bodies at the ready. I doubt Bergstrom suits up but maybe it is wise even though he doesn't know what Rhino means.

We've signed another O lineman. I've seen him listed as a guard, but he played right tackle at Utah

http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/1025-Redskins-Make-Roster-Moves/1c1d8ba9-7602-4496-af3d-03bd11fae49b

http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Redskins-Sign-Offensive-Lineman-Tony-Bergstrom/67eb935d-a009-4b52-a11e-e5d3b285f7ab

Kinda sucks for A.J.Francis as we only re-signed him last week, but such is life.

Archived