Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bill Callahan and the Offensive Line

joeken24

7 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Lots of changes have needed to be made to that line, predating Callahan. It's slowly being done, but not completely to my liking. But then again, it takes time to get all the parts. I'll be watching Roullier closely this Sunday. I want to see what the guy can do. If Long can eventually move over to LG, our interior could be in good shape for a while. I've never been sold on Moses, and doubt that anything will change in that regard.

Really?  You're still not into Moses.  As for Long, I feel like his time as a potential starting guard is done, eve if Chase beats him out.  The Skins have spread out enough resources they can afford to go for a LG

8 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Lots of changes have needed to be made to that line, predating Callahan. It's slowly being done, but not completely to my liking. But then again, it takes time to get all the parts. I'll be watching Roullier closely this Sunday. I want to see what the guy can do. If Long can eventually move over to LG, our interior could be in good shape for a while. I've never been sold on Moses, and doubt that anything will change in that regard.

Surprising that you don't like Moses, I thought he's been pretty solid since he got here and has mostly toughed it out with two sprained ankles.

The only slight downer on him for me is that he seems to jump back into pass pro early all the time. He gets away with it a lot, so maybe his timing is just perfectly early.

I cannot believe Lauvao got hurt. We got an injury flush. ****ing wonderful.

I don't know what our Sunday OL strength will be, but Kirk needs to grab the bull by the horns and help out with audibles and line calls.  Maybe running a ton is what is best, with Crowder and Reed out, and Pryor on the outs.  No pun intended. He probably runs it too round. Sigh.

7 hours ago, carex said:

Really?  You're still not into Moses.  As for Long, I feel like his time as a potential starting guard is done, eve if Chase beats him out.  The Skins have spread out enough resources they can afford to go for a LG

You're probably right there -- enough with the experiments and shuffling at LF. Likely in the team's best long-term interest to just invest in that position via the draft if we can find a nasty guy to help solidify the interior for a long time.

Would be big to have Nsheke, Long and Scherff back for this game.  Cooley has had some decent/high praise for Kouandijo too.  

Stupid question... will Moses' ankles improve much as we get further from the injury, or does playing not allow that to happen?  (moot question if he actually aggravates the injury of course)

Did not like Clemings starting, but he's not a terrible backup (less so against the more dominant dlines).  

49 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Would be big to have Nsheke, Long and Scherff back for this game.  Cooley has had some decent/high praise for Kouandijo too.  

Stupid question... will Moses' ankles improve much as we get further from the injury, or does playing not allow that to happen?  (moot question if he actually aggravates the injury of course)

Did not like Clemings starting, but he's not a terrible backup (less so against the more dominant dlines).  

Moses injury will only improve with rest.  He keeps tweeking those ankles every game.

What I don't get is Moses tweeking ankles is not new to this year.  He's done it just about every year as a starter.  Yet I can't remember seeing him start a game with his ankles taped up over his shoes until he tweeks an ankle.  I would think he would start games with as much support on his ankles as possible.  

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

OL depth looks pretty damn decent in the future after this run of injuries. Would like another stud OG in the draft but overall we'll have a good stable of 9 or 10 guys.

Nsheke, Arie and maybe Roullier are the only decent backups playing right now.  The rest are junk, especially Catalina.  Cooley said the only reason he gave Catalina a D- grade for the SEA game is because he doesn't grade below a D-.  Catalina wasn't near good enough on Sunday.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Well how many decent back ups do you want in a group of 9 players with 5 starters....:rofl89:

Not to mention, when a particular position group gets hit this hard with injuries, any team would be lucky to field an NFL Quality Backup.  I understand his performance was below par, but the fact that he saw The Field in a meaningful snap meant we were already in trouble.

It's kinda like kicking him for being down, no?

On 8/22/2017 at 11:14 PM, DC Lumber Co. said:

Looks like Kalis is further along than Catalina at this point, and wonder if Catalina is best suited for time on the PS. Didnt an analyst come out and predict Kalis would make the 53 shortly after he was signed iirc? Kalis is getting the most push in the run game out of any of our guards it seems fwiw.

On 8/23/2017 at 7:31 AM, Riggo'sRangers said:

"Kyle Kalis is the one major UDFA signing of note. He's a tough, nasty blocker with a nice degree of athleticism. I could see Kalis making the roster as a backup." - Draft Analyst, 5/10/17.  It's actually a pretty good write up.  By what I've see so far it is pretty spot on.  Hail

http://draftanalyst.com/grading-draft-washington-redskins

And that analysis was correct, seeing how Indy swiped him off of our PS.

16 hours ago, carex said:

I think Catelina made it because he could play tackle.  The Skins cut Kalis and Arie and kept Catelina and the one difference is he can play T and they can't

Yea I think they went with versatility over skill level in choosing between the 2.

But the question is, why didn't he play LT, the most important position, instead of the very questionable Clemmings ?

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yea I think they went with versatility over skill level in choosing between the 2.

But the question is, why didn't he play LT, the most important position, instead of the very questionable Clemmings ?

I don't think you'd like the answer, lol.  Of course it should have been a moot point with Nsheke in the fold.  Instead we've been relying on both Catalina and Clemmings.  

Still ticked off about losing Kalis.  Think that young man is going to be a solid player.  

36 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I don't think you'd like the answer, lol.  Of course it should have been a moot point with Nsheke in the fold.  Instead we've been relying on both Catalina and Clemmings.  

Still ticked off about losing Kalis.  Think that young man is going to be a solid player.  

We cut a guy who will be a solid guard but can't play tackle in favor of a guy who won't be able to play either.

1 hour ago, GothSkinsFan said:

We cut a guy who will be a solid guard but can't play tackle in favor of a guy who won't be able to play either.

Well, he can "play" both... but yeah.  

Of course, you never really know with guys until they've had some time to develop.  

Archived